PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Robin (Offline)

Question Spain: YOIGO PREPAGO HSDPA Connection drops to 10 kbps! - 23-10-2009, 17:05

I have recently bought a YOIGO Prepaid SIM, which you can use in a mobile phone for voice calls, or in a USB Modem (Dongle) to connect to the internet for 1:20euros per day, at up to 384 kbps. YOIGO uses the 'Movistar' network where we are.

We used it firstly in the phone while we bought the dongle (on Ebay), unlocked it (www.online-unlock.com), downloaded & installed the original Huawei E160G connection software (Called: Mobile Partner. Googled this: 'E160G Client Software-WINMACB300D00SP01C03 (UTPS11.300.05.00.03_MACHOST11.202.08.00.03) (For Winxp&2K&Vista &MAC) (05010AAG) (10395 KB) 27-May-2009') and we were all ready to go

Our house is quite remote, in the hills North of Malaga.
At the house we get, at best, 2 bars on the 'Movistar' network and with the phone hanging on the front door we get text messages.
To make a 'voice' call, we have to walk 50m or so, round the corner to a point where we are looking down the valley towards the nearest town (tho we can't see it from here). We can get GPRS five bars at this point.
Our land rises from here, and if we go up about 50m or so, the signal changes to HSDPA five bars.

Now I'll get to the point Connected first time with the HSDPA five bars with good speed. Tested by doing a Google Image search, which displays a page of thumbnails. Passed this test with flying colours... the page & thumbnails were virtually instant. I also tested using YouTube with acceptable results.
Was online about 40 mins with no problems, speed remained good.

Mobile Partner, like most connection software, has a built-in 'real time' graph which shows up & download performance.

Later in the day I connected again. The first 10mins were fine with good speeds. Then, suddenly the 'download' speed dropped to around 10 kbps..and stayed there for the next hour, at which point I'd had enough, disconnected and went down the hill to the house, puzzled!

Next day connected again.... fine, no probs for the time I was online..about 30mins.

Next day connected again..... after 10-15mins 'download' speed drops to around 10 kbps..... and stayed there. It has gone on like this ever since (a week).

Now, I am not trying to do peer to peer or massive downloads...just checking email & surfing some pages.... so this cant be punishment for over use!

We would be eternally grateful to antone who can shine any light on our connection prob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connection221009.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	49  

Old
  (#2)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-10-2009, 07:30

I suppose they want you to use their 3€ dayflat (internet para llevar de tarjeta).
I remember I read somewhere that the 1,20€ tariff is only for a little traffic like wap, email etc., therefore I did'nt take it. Why don't you buy a blau.es or simyo SIM. This service I found not fast but quite reliable (Amena Network).

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-10-2009, 11:45

Robin, what you are describing is very normal Yoigo activity. Hundreds of users have had the same problem, and most have moved onto other networks. There is no condition in their tariff or clause or amendment in their terms and conditions that should suggest this should happen but it just does! I ditched them ages ago for this very reason. Besides, if using the internet almost every day their internet access (at either €1.20 per day or €3 per day just works out downright expensive!

In my opinion, Yoigo are clutching at straws a bit as I do not think they are doing as well as their investors thought they could. There is just way too much competition in the MVNO sector here in Spain, and Yoigo are actually more than an MVNO as they own some of the spectrum here and are trying to build up their own network!

However, you may be stuck with them after all! The problem where you are is that you are unlikely to have a decent AMENA (Orange) signal. This is who the cheapest data options are with, as mentioned above. If you do have an Amena 3G signal, you could consider Blau or Simyo!

Old
  (#4)
Robin (Offline)

Default Spain: YOIGO PREPAGO HSDPA Connection drops to 10 kbps! - 27-10-2009, 17:49

Thanks 9eor9 & Petkow for your responses

A friend suggested it might be because we are on the low tariff.
Unfortunately we are stuck with YOIGO for the time being, or change to ... Movistar..... well, I've some stories about them... We can get a weak Vodafone sig up the land..but we wont go there either!

It would be fab to be able to connect everyday, but not essential. 2 days a week I can get access in town.

I had big plans for a little structure up on the land (suitably camouflaged) where the good signal is. Inside a Zoom Travel Router.. with dongle attached..., car battery to power it, charged from a small solar panel, to broadcast wirelessly to the house. However, until we get a better, stable signal, it's not worth it.

I shall call YOIGO on 622 and see what they have to say for themselves re their shoddy service

Thanks again.

Old
  (#5)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 28-10-2009, 09:38

Pity you do not have other signals. You could consider that Yoigo 3 euro tarrif though!

I too have shock stories about Movistar. This is the most unprofessional multinational on the planet! It is going off topic but I am fighting one war with them at the moment about a situation which is so bizarre it is worth mentioning:

I was called by Movistar when I was with Yoigo and sold a 12 month contract by a telesales person who was going to better my existing tarrif by a long way and give me a free handset. However the tarrif and terms were just way too good and completely suspicious. I luckily checked everything over one more time before receiving the delivery, and realised I had been blatantly lied at!! I then legally and properly cancelled the contract (before it even started). A few days later the delivery still came, for which I was also supposed to pay cash for the handset on delivery. I obviously refused the delivery and requested it gets returned to sender.

Unfortunately somebody did take the package which consisted of a phone and activated SIM with my ported number, and started heavy useage. It was likely it was somebody at the courier company. I never had payed or signed for the delivery, but now Movistar hold me reponsible for several hundred euros worth of calls made by the thief. I only realised what was happening as I received an email from someone a few days later who had been trying to call me on that number, and says somebody picked up and said I had died! I then called my own number and got the same explanation. I reported this to the muppet robots at Movistar who then put down "stolen handset" in my records to suspend the line. According to their general terms, users are reponsible for calls made until a phone is reported stolen! (normally understandable), but that they cannot see this case is different is beyond me.

I am quite happy for them to take me to court. It will only go to show what a useless company they are.

Old
  (#6)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-10-2009, 15:19

Hi petkow,

.......please don't get me wrong, but.......
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
  (#7)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 28-10-2009, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eor9 View Post
Hi petkow,

.......please don't get me wrong, but.......
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! No I won't get you wrong.

Generally, aftersales and customer services in Spain are amongst the poorest I have come across in the world! Much worse than the Asian countries I have lived in!

Old
  (#8)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 28-10-2009, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eor9 View Post

congratulations!!!!!!!
And my contacts are also quite relieved that I am not dead after all! .. (well at least most of them)

Old
  (#9)
Robin (Offline)

Default 30-10-2009, 16:18

petkow... I too am glad you are not dead Many others and I would be light some good advice!
That's some tale you have to relate...and the very best of luck in resolving it to your satisfaction.... they are indeed an 'unbelievably bad' company to deal with.

It just amazes me how they, continue to get away with all this c**p they dish out.
I gets angry when people just shrug thier shoulders and say 'that's the way it is'.

It may be a simplistic view, but it would surely cost them no more in the long run to provide a decent service where there are simple, competitive, flat rate tariffs with dedicated, knowledgable, and free customer support lines in Spanish, English, German, Dutch. This would create happy customers.. and happy customers spend more money, mostly phoning their friends...who had moved to Vodafone, Orange... to tell them what a great experience they are having with Movistar! Instead they overcharge, are dishonest and provide terrible service, driving people away.

If it were my company, there would be one almighty shake-up. I would re-invent Movistar. 'Simplify & Satisfy' would be my watchwords. Simple image, Simple tariffs, Simple, easy to understand catalogues of phones and accessories with good explanations and glossaries of terms used...so as not to alienate the thousands of 'less than savvy' customers out there (here?). A clean, well designed, easily navigable, website. Simple Sense ...when it comes to dealing with customers. Rather than treating them like...and making them...an enemy, befriend them, inspire thier confidence, make it easy for them to contact you when they need help. This sort of service is worth a FORTUNE....well, I can dream can't I ?

Sorry:/ I did go on a bit there... and I'm sure to be echoing others on this and other forums.

Old
  (#10)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 30-10-2009, 21:30

Yes, there's a hundred other things I could add but I guess the prepaidgsm forum isn't the place! I do love your vision for a better Movistar though!

Briefly, just on one small point that you mentioned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
...and free customer support lines in Spanish, English, German, Dutch.
Strangely enough this is one thing Movistar do have! This is a point that can be of benefit to other members of ppgsm who may have Movistar Prepaid phones.

I found this out quite by accident! I now actually know Spanish people who speak to their English department as request are usually dealt with quicker as there is less "buck-passing" and transferring. When I first spoke to the Spanish department, I would keep getting transferred from one department to the next, and usually would get cut off somewhere on the way! Transferring does not hapen in the international department as one CS agent is obliged to stay with you throughout the call, even if he has to talk to other departments on your behalf! Calls can last quite long though.

If you dial 1485 from any spanish phone (landline or mobile on any network) you get through to Movistar customer services for free! Just ask for the international department, and you may be pleasently surprised! Also in their defence freephone customer service numbers that work from any mobile network is something I am not used to from other countries either!

Tags
3g slow connection speed, hsdpa problem, yoigo sim