PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
EllasDevil (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Lightbulb Prepaid in China - 14-01-2007, 11:35

I've been looking at prepaid sims in China and have come up with the following.

China must work similar to India where your mobile belongs to a circle (home region) and then you're technically roaming when you use the mobile elsewhere in the country.

I've bought a China Mobile (中国移动通信) sim card with a Beijing number (starting off there) but I believe it'll still cost me to recieve calls? Is this correct?

Will China Mobile require any personal information when it comes to activating the sim card? If so, what information?

(In India, Hutch disconnected my prepaid line after 7 days because I was unable to provide them with a Indian ID card to register against my account)

Do China Mobile sms's send/recieve OK to Europe? (I assume they do)

I believe China Mobile won't offer prepaid roaming in Hong Kong? Is this correct? If so, it's no big deal. I'll just roam with my home sim card.

How easy is it to recharge the accounts? Am I likely to face language barrier problems or do they offer any instructions in English?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Old
  (#2)
Gryphone (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 14-01-2007, 12:45

Since I have a China Mobile prepaid card myself, I can answer some of your question, however mine belongs to Shanghai, so there might be some differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasDevil View Post
China must work similar to India where your mobile belongs to a circle (home region) and then you're technically roaming when you use the mobile elsewhere in the country.
Both China Mobile and China Unicom have a network covering most of Red China, so technically you're always on your home network. However, you're still paying roaming charges outside your home region.

Quote:
I've bought a China Mobile (中国移动通信) sim card with a Beijing number (starting off there) but I believe it'll still cost me to recieve calls? Is this correct?
As far as I can tell: no. In Shanghai I could receive calls free of charge, no matter where the originated.

Quote:
Will China Mobile require any personal information when it comes to activating the sim card? If so, what information?
They don't need any information or ID from you at all.

Quote:
Do China Mobile sms's send/recieve OK to Europe? (I assume they do)
There are a few networks where you may experience problems, but generally it should work, yes.

Quote:
I believe China Mobile won't offer prepaid roaming in Hong Kong? Is this correct? If so, it's no big deal. I'll just roam with my home sim card.
Roaming can only be activated when you fullfil several conditions, one of them is having been a customer for at least a year.

Quote:
How easy is it to recharge the accounts? Am I likely to face language barrier problems or do they offer any instructions in English?
Instructions are mostly in Chinese. The account server at 10086 may be switched to English (with pretty bad pronounciation though).

You can also check this thread where I have already gathered some information.

Active Prepaid SIMs: United Mobile; (RC) China Mobile; (USA) TúYo; (D) Loop, Callya, Simyo; (A) Klax; (I) Wind; (B) Ay Yildiz
Former Prepaid SIMs: (RC) IF; (D) Free&Easy, Xtra; (A) Yesss; (UK) Pay&Go; (E) Movistar; (IS) Frelsi
Mobiles in use: Sagem my101X, Siemens M50, Nokia 6800, Siemens M65, Motorola E770, Samsung SGH-Z500, Nokia 9500
Previous Mobiles: Nokia 5130, Motorola V3688, Sagem myX-1, Siemens M55, NEC e313, SonyEricsson T200, Motorola V980, Siemens C45, Motorola V600

Old
  (#3)
ftg888 (Offline)

Default incomming calls - 16-01-2007, 05:29

generally ALL incomming calls in china are charagable as they have not
implimented CPP Calling Party Pays like the rest of the world, but
rather have followed the american billing methods (sods for us).

In shanghai all new cards have a promotion added that LOCAL
incomming calls from china mobile are free otherwise its 16/12/6
rmb / month depending on your promotion or deal. Generally
speaking its 16 rmb/month.

I use MZONE package or 20 rmb 50mb gprs / 40 rmb 950 messages / no incoming free but special mzone rate of .13 daytime .10 night time.

works for me

also before christmas china mobile had a 2 for 1 promotion on their topups.

woohoo merry christmas mobiles.
anyway u get the idea.

a.
shanghai.

Last edited by ftg888; 16-01-2007 at 05:36..

Old
  (#4)
ftg888 (Offline)

Default roaming with prepayed cards - 16-01-2007, 05:32

2 huge annoyances.

1. you must have the number for 1 year
2. you must deposit 500 rmb (no biggie)

3. roaming is only activated for either 2 weeks or 4 weeks tops then it shuts off. you need to call (from china only) and get them to reactivate roaming.They sometimes wont depending on the salesdroid.

china still has it in their widdle brain that china work so hard and cant possible be out of the country for more then 21 average days in one year. sheesh.. somethings take longer to change.

by the way this rule seems to apply for contract gotone customers as
well. so no way to get around it. dumb dumb dumb..oh well this is life.

a.

Old
  (#5)
EllasDevil (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-01-2007, 14:01

Thanks for the information guys!!

You've both been a fantastic help, although I'm surprised I didn't notice the other thread before I posted this one. Maybe I need to wear my glasses more.

Anyway, thanks again guys - you both rock!