PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Possible to Buy Vodafone Scratch Card or PIN in Italy? - 17-10-2012, 11:54

I'm in Italy now.

I tried to buy a local Vodafone SIM in a Vodafone store, but they would only sell me some SIM for EUR 20 with 250 minutes ans EUR 5 credit. They would not let me buy with the Vodafone 12 and mobile internet plan that I wanted (as shown on prepaidgsm.net.)

Instead, I continued to use my Vodafone UK SIM which has reasonable data roaming (I needed data only.) As the Vodafone UK site says I can top up with an Italian Vodafone PIN, I figured I would do that.

However, it looks like it is no longer possible to buy a Vodafone PIN in Italy. Every place I go wants my Vodafone IT number so they can enter it and credit my account directly. No one will sell me a PIN.

Is there some way to get a Vodafone PIN in Italy? If so, where? Or, have they switched to the direct method everywhere in Italy?

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 17-10-2012, 12:03

It's crazy they don't sell you a "normal" Vodafone prepaid sim-card with one of the basic plans (Vodafone 12 or Vodafone Al Secondo NEW), they should do it.
It has become rare to find scratch cards. You should find them at Vodafone shops, usually at train stations (newsstands) and maybe at some supermarkets such as COOP. Ask for a "ricarica da grattare", hoping they have one... But cannot you refill your UK Vodafone online via credit card?

Buy why use Vodafone Italy? It's the most expensive and it's really not the best. Go to the first Wind or TIM shop and get a prepaid there.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 17-10-2012, 14:40

Answering both questions -

I can't top up by credit card as I do not have a UK based credit card. Yes, I know there are places I can buy topup on the internet for a fee, and I might well do that.

I was interested in Vodafone, as the 2.50 EUR for 50 MB roaming seemed attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
It's crazy they don't sell you a "normal" Vodafone prepaid sim-card with one of the basic plans (Vodafone 12 or Vodafone Al Secondo NEW), they should do it.
It has become rare to find scratch cards. You should find them at Vodafone shops, usually at train stations (newsstands) and maybe at some supermarkets such as COOP. Ask for a "ricarica da grattare", hoping they have one... But cannot you refill your UK Vodafone online via credit card?

Buy why use Vodafone Italy? It's the most expensive and it's really not the best. Go to the first Wind or TIM shop and get a prepaid there.

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 17-10-2012, 15:53

Wind has 2,5€ per 50MB while roaming as well:
Daily Travel x Smartphone Europa&Usa - Per Navigare - Wind

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-10-2012, 09:06

I ended up buying a Vodafone SIM at another store - EUR 25, includes 20 Euro of credit, and one month of data - up to 1 GB. I believe I am on Vodafone 12.

Opted for Vodafone rather than Wind as I wanted to use the EU roaming, and I don't have an Italian credit card. At least I know that I can top up the Vodafone SIM with scratch cards or their equivalents in other EU countries (assuming I can find a scratch card.)

I am starting another thread on my newest problem - English prompts.

Quote:
Wind has 2,5€ per 50MB while roaming as well:
Daily Travel x Smartphone Europa&Usa - Per Navigare - Wind

Old
  (#6)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-10-2012, 13:46

What do you mean with EU roaming? All EU operators have the fixed by EU roaming rates, including Wind of course. The problem with refilling is true, by the way...

Old
  (#7)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 23-10-2012, 22:00

I meant the cheap data roaming packages (e.g., the Vodafone 50 MB for €2.50.

I have also found that I can add credit to the Vodafone SIM online on the Vodafone website using my US based Visa or Amex.

Quote:
What do you mean with EU roaming? All EU operators have the fixed by EU roaming rates, including Wind of course. The problem with refilling is true, by the way...

Old
  (#8)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 24-10-2012, 08:09

All operators have basically the same roaming options, Vodafone doesn't have any advantage these days... Online refilling sometimes works sometimes not... I hope it will go on working for you!