PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Number Porting in Germany - 09-10-2007, 20:49

How easy is it to port numbers in Germany? My Dad lives in Germany and has a German T-Mobile prepaid that he is spending way too much money on. I keep suggesting he switches over to one of the cheaper MVNO's, but he would like to keep his number. Are there any restrictions on number porting with prepaids? How long does it take on average? I can't even figure out which of the MVNO's is best value at the moment. He does not need data. Just decent international SMS rates and domestic calls. The new Fonic looks very good. What do you German guys think about reliability? This is so important to him as he uses it for work too. A few years ago I suggested he go for EasyMobile, but it's a good thing he didn't follow my advice now.

He may after all need a contract, but he spends on average 3 to 4 months away from Germany in the year, so he would only go for one if it is a low monthly payment. Any advice on where I can find comparisons and good deals?

Old
  (#2)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-10-2007, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
How easy is it to port numbers in Germany? My Dad lives in Germany and has a German T-Mobile prepaid that he is spending way too much money on. I keep suggesting he switches over to one of the cheaper MVNO's, but he would like to keep his number. Are there any restrictions on number porting with prepaids? How long does it take on average? I can't even figure out which of the MVNO's is best value at the moment. He does not need data. Just decent international SMS rates and domestic calls. The new Fonic looks very good. What do you German guys think about reliability? This is so important to him as he uses it for work too. A few years ago I suggested he go for EasyMobile, but it's a good thing he didn't follow my advice now.

He may after all need a contract, but he spends on average 3 to 4 months away from Germany in the year, so he would only go for one if it is a low monthly payment. Any advice on where I can find comparisons and good deals?
You can quite easy port numbers in germany. It cost about 25 Euro on the old contract or prepaid card. So make sure you have enough balance on your dads T-Mo prepaid when you start the porting.
Not all prepaid operators allow inbound porting though. I dont know about Fonic (which runs on o2-Network). For postpaid/contracts porting is in possible everywhere as far as i know. You just have to state that you want to keep your old number when you sign the contract and they will give you the required documents.

Usually the porting will be timed to the start of the new contract. In case that your old contract didnt run out yet you will get a temporary number assigned (i did that from vodafone to o2 once) before your number will get ported. Some other providers (T-Mobile) can only port the number if it is already available for porting (no prob for a prepaid, its always available there).

If you need some special info i could try to gather it. Just tell me.

Regarding the offers: I use a o2 contract and a Simyo prepaid.
O2 offers a contract without monthly basic charge and also offers a home zone with a assigned landline number (o2 genion s card). All calls outside the homezone are 19ct/min. A contract has the advantage of easy porting of your old number. There are many other options too - depends on which network your dad would prefer.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-10-2007, 10:44

Thanks Chris. Plenty to digest there! I didn't realise it would be that expensive to port! It used to cost us around £10 here before competition authorities scrapped it! I know he's going to complain about that even though he is spending well over €25/month at the moment and he will probably quickly recover it. A question about your Genion S. Is there minimum useage? Also, I suppose when you are in home zone you can also make cheaper outgoing calls (supposedly at 'landline' prices) but is it possible to make cheaper international calls say using services like 0100xx etc.?

Old
  (#4)
hrgajek (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-10-2007, 12:17

Hello from Germany,

Quote:
A question about your Genion S.
Genion S is running in the o2-Germany Network, which can roam in the T-Mobile D1-Network in some, but not all areas, if no o2 network should be available.

Quote:
Is there minimum useage?
No its not.
Genion Card S ("Genion ohne Handy online") costs no monthly fee, only the usage. With the "online" option you should do all questions online at www.o2online.de the telephone support is only available by an 0900-premium-number at 0,62 EUR/Minute

If You make the contract in a shop, you will have the normal option with toll free customer care from your phone 0179-55222.

Quote:
Also, I suppose when you are in home zone you can also make cheaper outgoing calls (supposedly at 'landline' prices)
The prices are lower inside the "Homezone" to local numbers (must have same area code, like the city where you are)
with 3 Cents per minute. (round about 2 p)

All other fixed line and mobile numbers are 19 Cents per minute. (round about 12p) but no premium or specialnumbers like 013x, 018x, 0900.

0800 is tollfree
00800 is not available with o2 Loop (Prepaid) or Tchibo/Fonic.

Quote:
but is it possible to make cheaper international calls say using services like 0100xx etc.?
No. The Call by Call prefixcode 010xx or 0100xx is not available in mobile networks.

For calling to the UK he could use some calling-through-services like www.sparruf.de or something else.

If he is calling to abroad within his "Homezone" he pays lower prices. Details can be found (well disguised) at www.o2online.de in german language.

Porting a number towards a prepaid-card in Germany is only possible

to T-Mobile Xtra
to Vodafone CallYa

but not to any E-Plus Prepaid-Product (like E-Plus Free & Easy, Simyo, Blau, Alditalk etc.)
and not to any o2 Prepaid/Discount-Produkt (o2 Loop, Tchibo, Fonic)

Hope this helps.

73 & 55 (Regards)
Henning Gajek
on air with:
Telekom (T-Mobile) DE - Vodafone DE - Telefonica-(o2) DE - FreeTimeTele.com (DE/UK) - Swisscom CH -

Old
  (#5)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-10-2007, 13:52

Thanks so much for that excellent further explanation.

That is a real shame though! So it's not possible to even port any number to one of the newer cheaper MVNO's. I wonder how Tschibo, Aldi, Blau and Fonic feel about this? After all surely they are aiming at people as a contract replacement and who are already established mobile phone users and are likely to have a number they wish to keep! I wonder who is blocking this then. If it is the other networks, surely this is a case of the bigger networks stifling the competition? If so perhaps it is a case for him to send a letter to the EU Directore-General for Competition? (Well if they have managed it against Microsoft, why not T-Mobil or Vodafone )

Old
  (#6)
hrgajek (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-10-2007, 15:03

Hello,

Quote:
Thanks so much for that excellent further explanation.
no problem, you're welcome

[quote]
So it's not possible to even port any number to one of the newer cheaper MVNO's.

It's a question of not working IT systems. Mobile phone companies are cutting staff and costs so everything you don't need (or they think you don't need) is going slowly or not at all.

You can export your number from Tchibo, Aldi, Blau and Fonic
but you cannot import another number to their cards at the moment.

It's on the agenda for later, they told me.

Quote:
If so perhaps it is a case for him to send a letter to the EU Directore-General for Competition? (Well if they have managed it against Microsoft, why not T-Mobil or Vodafone )
Could be interesting. EU-Comissioner Viviane Reding will read your letter with interest

73 & 55 (Regards)
Henning Gajek
on air with:
Telekom (T-Mobile) DE - Vodafone DE - Telefonica-(o2) DE - FreeTimeTele.com (DE/UK) - Swisscom CH -

Old
  (#7)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-10-2007, 19:00

There's a quite unknown MVNO on the E-Plus network called solomo, who support importing numbers, have very cheap international rates, very cheap roaming rates, low data rates and reasonable domestic rates - all that as a prepaid service.

Phone calls to the UK (and the rest of Europe) cost € 0.09/min, respectively € 0.29/min to mobile networks.

Domestic also cost € 0.09/min, respectively € 0.18/min to mobile networks.

International SMS are billed at € 0.19 where as domestic ones are charged with € 0.14.

Incoming roaming calls within Europe cost between € 0.05 and € 0.10 and outgoing roaming calls within Europe cost between € 0.29 and € 0.39.

The price for data is € 0.24/MB.

All in all very attractive for foreigners in Germany in my eyes.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 11-10-2007 at 08:48..

Old
  (#8)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-10-2007, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrgajek View Post
So it's not possible to even port any number to one of the newer cheaper MVNO's.
Not quite true -- you can port to Solomo, and at the moment they're not charging the usual fee for it: http://www.solomo.de

Looks like Inquisitor beat me to it!

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#9)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-10-2007, 22:04

Thanks so much guys. I note that the free porting is only available until 15 October with Salomo. Do you think he will still have to pay to leave T-Mobile Prepaid?

I can't believe how long he has been paying 39c for all calls on T-Mobile. It is just robbery! He uses it sometimes when he is in Switzerland too. I dread to think! This Solomo looks like a perfect product... even for roaming. 10-15c/min incoming in most parts of Europe, and integrated with Callback. The 10% discount with €10 topup and 20% with €20 is also a great feature. The only tiny drawback I can see is that it is on E-Plus and the coverage is not perfect.

Old
  (#10)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-10-2007, 07:52

Quote:
Thanks so much guys. I note that the free porting is only available until 15 October with Salomo. Do you think he will still have to pay to leave T-Mobile Prepaid?
Yes, the fee from T-Mobile is not changed in this case. Only no "inbound" cost at Solomo.
I have such a card here at work for testing and after some small issues after the start of this still new provider it works flawlessly now.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9