PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
TheMadBrewer (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question Is UM the best for this... - 11-07-2007, 07:58

UM seems to be out of favor this days with the prepaidgms.net community. I haven't been traveling abroad for the past 4 months so I haven't had much experience with all the recent problems folks have been having. As far as I can tell though, they will still fit my needs best for a trip this fall. But I thought I'd seek the wisdom of the collective first (unlike lots of communities -- offline as well as online -- this one seems to be smarter collectively than individually )

Anyway, this fall a fairly large group of us (8-10, maybe more) will be doing a serious beer trip thru Europe: Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Austria. At least 4 of us (and maybe more) will have unlocked world GSM phones. I'm looking for a way we can stay in touch as various subgroups split off for a day or two (can you believe it -- some folks would rather visit museums and cathedrals rather than breweries!). From the international SIMs that help support PPGSM as far as I can tell only UM has reasonable "subscriber-to-subscriber" rates. The others seem to charge it as a call to a home country mobile.

Since I already have a UM SIM I was leaning that way, but with all the recent reported problems I'm not adverse to switching. So do any of your international SIMs have really good subscriber to subscriber rates?

As I side note, my take on the increase in FL termination fees: Even a year or so ago I would thought it a disaster. But I've been traveling with a PC (a fairly light HP TC1100 tablet) and even the mom-and-pop hotels I often stay have free (or cheap) wi-fi, I've been finding myself using VOIP from my hotel room rather then UM/CBW anyway. UM/CBW was nice if I needed to reach somebody while out and about, but I found it was generally easier (and cheaper!) to use voip. Most of the people that need to reach me in Europe are clients with urgent problems and they don't seem to mind (or at least haven't complained) about the cost of calls to UM. I'll still keep my CBW to use with my national SIMs and also the toll free access numbers (and my toll free number as well).

Whole bunch of SIMs, mostly dead, some still working...