PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 26-08-2009, 21:42

All incoming calls are free

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#12)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-08-2009, 21:56

But why does the tariff page say:
Quote:
** $1 per day
Unlimited incoming calls 30¢ per minute, outgoing calls

** Applicable to local calls only.
Does "local calls" mean calls that are received while staying within the area code, where the Fido SIM has it's number from? So "local" refers to the geographical position of the Fido SIM and not to the origin of the call?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#13)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-08-2009, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Thank you guys. After all I ordered a Fido SIM from eBay, since their rate to Germany of $ 0.44 seems reasonable and after topping up $20 my friend can reach the poivy access number for just $ 0.20.
There's only one question left: Do I get it right, that the "Unlimited incoming calls" tariff does only include incoming calls that originate from the same area code, so incoming calls from Germany would not be included?
A few notes... For long distance calls to Germany, $0.44/minute is just for long distance. This is on top of the airtime rate.

The local calling area is different between incoming and outgoing calls. An explanation of the LCAs can be found here: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/ld/local_calling_areas

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#14)
wcross (Offline)

Default 27-08-2009, 05:13

Your best option for international calling from Canada is a prepaid telephone card. You can dial the access numbers using the Fido SIM. However, it is much cheaper to call the access number from a pay phone (free), hotel phone (usually free) or “private” house (free).

I use the “Call World” card available at 7 11 convenience stores. The rate for calling a German (and most European) landlines is less than $0.05 per minute while a German mobile is $0.42 per minute.

A cheaper alternative is the "CiCi" CiCi Phone Card card also available at 7 11 convenience stores. The rate for calling a German landline is $0.03 per minute while a German mobile is $0.20 per minute. Its minimum value is also $5.00.

Old
  (#15)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-08-2009, 17:27

@Vlad
Thanks. So we should better use callthrough for outbound calls. The link on local calling areas made clear, that the free incoming option is limited to the wider geographical area, where the SIM's number is from. Unfortunately the map of the Toronto area is currently not available. Can I expect the 613-area code to be in the yellow zone if the SIM is registered in Toronto?

@wcross
I'm intending e a German callthrough provider with an access number in the 613-area code to be used, if it can be reached at local rates from a Toronto-based SIM card. So in addition to the (hopefully local) rate charged by Fido there would be poivy's callthrough rates of $ 0.00/min for German landlines and $ 0.14/min to mobiles.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#16)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-08-2009, 21:17

Sorry, but 613 is Ottawa, about 4 1/2 hours drive from Toronto. It's a long distance call.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#17)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-08-2009, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Can I expect the 613-area code to be in the yellow zone if the SIM is registered in Toronto?
Not a chance! Look at the map for Kingston, which is also AC 613 and is about half way between Toronto and Ottawa.

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#18)
opcmaster (Offline)

Default 16-03-2010, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bylo View Post
You can buy a Rogers or Fido SIM via eBay, e.g. these and then buy airtime at many stores here. I don't know if the SIM card comes preactivated with a phone number or if you have to do that while in Canada.

Overseas calls from Canada using any cellphone provider are very expensive, however, you can buy inexpensive prepaid long distance cards locally at many stores. Look at e.g. Phone Card Depot. I've never dealt with them but their Search Card Rates function will show you many of the cards that are available here.

Added: You can activate a Rogers SIM online here. Calls to Germany are CA$0.75/minute or ~€0.50. Prepaid long distance cards are less than 1/10th of that. Local air time is CA$0.25/minute (using a CA$20 airtime refill.) Note that air time is charging on both outgoing and incoming calls.

Please note that in Canada you will be charged long distance for all calls not originated from your local calling area, which means that you will be charged two long distance rates: one for call to Germany plus another for long distance in Canada. The way to avoid it is to use calling card with toll free access number. Check out CiCi Calling card. CiCi has no-charge toll free access number and only 2.8c/min rate to Germany. You may also check Smart card from Ontario Calling Cards for converting outgoing calls to incoming.