PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default Thailand report - 11-10-2009, 12:43

On my recent trip to Thailand i tested out SIM cards from all operators. Here are my experiences:

1) true:
true is the newest mobile operator. It had a booth right at the exit of the arrivals gate in the airport and a huge promotion for their "InterSIM" which i bought right away. The card cost 1 Euro and comes with a small starter balance. Each recharge gives you 1 year of validity for the card.
International calls to most landlines around the globe cost 1 baht/min (approx 2 euro-cent per minute). The call quality is mostly good - if you have problems to connect trough peak times dont use the 00600 dial prefix but dial directly with +xxx. This cost 3 baht/min but quality is better.
Internet is widely available with true WiFi, if you request a login by SMS from the true SIM card it costs 29 baht for 24 hours (about 60ct) - how it works is explained if you connect to the Wifi and have a look on the start page. They always have new promos as well so its worth to check back sometimes. With the SIM card itself GPRS is available for 1 baht/min, EDGE is rare and not very fast.

2) DTAC
DTAC is the 2nd largest operator. I purchased a prepaid starter kit for 2 euro including 1 euro balance and only used it for internet (5 hours for 1 Euro). EDGE is available nearly everywhere in the country and the speed is good - mostly about 100-150kbps effective surfing speed.

3) AIS
AIS, the largest operator had promotion booths in several malls for their "NetSIM". So i purchased one for 4 Euro which comes with 30 hours of free internet in the first month, from the 2nd month its 2 euro for 30 hours (can be upgraded to 60, 120 or 180 hours).
EDGE is available nationwide but the speeds are noticeably slower than on DTAC in urban areas. On the countryside AIS was fast as well.

The coverage for all operators was excellent. Even on the smallest network (true) it is very hard to find a place without coverage.

Hope this is useful for your upcoming trips.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9