PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mrbarlow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Question Any opinions on eKit SIMs? - 15-01-2007, 20:25

I've just spotted someone selling a variety of these on ebay (uk). The rates look ok (though I'm not sure yet about the billing increments) and they are selling for a fair bit less than a number of others.

If anyone knows any more about these, i.e. their service etc I'd be gratful to hear about it...

Old
  (#2)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2007, 03:46

I had it, it's a normal MANX telecom rebrand, it works, it's billed by the minute, I switched to GeoSIM because it was 30/6 sec billing.

Old
  (#3)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 16-01-2007, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post
I had it, it's a normal MANX telecom rebrand, it works, it's billed by the minute, I switched to GeoSIM because it was 30/6 sec billing.
What about expiry period? Does the sim expiry If you do not use it or if you do not recharge it?

It is strange, but there seems to be a great variety of ekit sims. Some are tight to a FL1 number (UM-+423) and some are tight to a uk number (+44762). Also those sold at ebay seem to have only o few countries for free incoming (UK, Spain, France, Italy & Mexico) which is strange.....Manx sims offer more free incoming countries in general.....

Last edited by prion; 16-01-2007 at 06:52..

Old
  (#4)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2007, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
What about expiry period? Does the sim expiry If you do not use it or if you do not recharge it?
Well, check their websites -- I believe there is, maybe 180 days. But, it is not an issue with me, as I travel once a month to one of the places where I use it.

Old
  (#5)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 07-02-2007, 20:55

Just decided to re-open this thread, and wondering if someone knows more about these.

I have also just noticed a whole bunch of these for sale on ebay, and in fact bought one of the cheaper types for only £5 (which includes $10 credit). It is the one that Prion mentioned above giving only UK, Spain, Italy, France and Mexico as free incoming. This is called the "Global Premium Service".

They also are selling two further rebrands for £18.00. One is called the "International Mobile Service" and the other is called the "Travel and Domestic UK and Ireland SIM card". Both appear to do the same incoming countries (over 50...many more than the Global Premium), and the same rates though the latter seems to also give you cheaper UK and Ireland calls as well.

Is there another subtle difference between these two types of cards that I am missing? I need to buy one of these 2.

Last edited by petkow; 07-02-2007 at 21:02..

Old
  (#6)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-02-2007, 04:20

Not sure of the difference between the 2 ekit international sims you mentioned, but can comment on Ekit. Bought a single country Canadian Fido sim card directly from them about a year ago, and they shipped quickly with documentation (needed the phone number in advance of a business trip). While their website isn't quite as polished as some other vendors, they do have good deals on some of their sim cards and sim/phone packages. Also they offer discounts if you enter through another website they have an agreement with (used Lonely Planet's link for my order, although from what you've said, it looks like purchasing through ebay offers some of the best deals for their sims).

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#7)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-02-2007, 13:34

I've also got one of these eKit Global Premium Mobile sims today (6 pounds including post, with $20 of call credit). Note the incoming number is a new Manx Telecom range: +44 7924 04xxxx.

For me, the main feature is free incoming in Mexico (I need an alternative to 09 for there).

Does anybody know the best deal for callback or voip forwarding to +44 7924 04xxxx? voipfone.co.uk charge much more to that than to +44 7624, I expect most others charge "UK mobile" rates.

There is a feature where a caller can call a toll-free number then enter your number to be connected to you free in a free incoming country, but as it's limited to 60 minutes for the life of the card (not per call) it's of limited use.

Old
  (#8)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 09-02-2007, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
I've also got one of these eKit Global Premium
There is a feature where a caller can call a toll-free number then enter your number to be connected to you free in a free incoming country, but as it's limited to 60 minutes for the life of the card (not per call) it's of limited use.
Where did you read this 60min thing? I find it hard finding anything out at all from the T's and C's etc. On the pouch on my card it says 45 mins but I presumed that was per call. It says after the 45 mins the person can still be called toll-free to send a text message notification requesting a call back. (However that may work?).

Does anybody know if the 0800 access numbers also work with the more expensive (18 UKP) Ekit "International" brand??

Old
  (#9)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-02-2007, 14:16

Quote:
I've also got one of these eKit Global Premium Mobile sims today (6 pounds including post, with $20 of call credit). Note the incoming number is a new Manx Telecom range: +44 7924 04xxxx.
I have some Geodesa cards as well, and they are in the same range.

Quote:
Does anybody know the best deal for callback or voip forwarding to +44 7924 04xxxx? voipfone.co.uk charge much more to that than to +44 7624, I expect most others charge "UK mobile" rates.
I'm using Voipcheap.com (not the .co.uk-site), at €0,07, and its working fine here.

Quote:
I already wrote that here on the board, in another message, only I did not know it was limited to the card, I tought it was on a per call basis. But it's still a good deal. US$20 + 60 minutes for free for £5+shipping.

Sim:
Belgium: Proximus Smart+ 15 (+32 496 contract)

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#10)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-02-2007, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Where did you read this 60min thing? I find it hard finding anything out at all from the T's and C's etc. On the pouch on my card it says 45 mins but I presumed that was per call.
Sign into the ekit.com/mobile site and select "making calls"/"global premium". Way down the page under family and friends toll free it says "There is a limit of 60 minutes for the life of the service.". I had also assumed the limit was per call.

Providing you have a balance left, it seems that it only requires one phone call per 9 months to keep it active, which is better than most (T&C para 18 ). Being able to call forward (at no charge) is nice as well.

Note there are new rates from 1st March on the same site. Rises in costs to mobiles from some countries, sms increases from a few places, and increases in incoming costs in many (e.g. from 0.39 to 0.59 for Australia). And the dropping of free incoming in Italy, which might affect some here!