PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
f300 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 12-06-2008, 13:34

Update: without too much advertisement it is now possible to add the data option to normal UM (not UM+) SIMs. One-time fee for this is 3EUR. Anyone willing to give it a go?

Old
  (#22)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 12-06-2008, 14:48

Dear customer

United Mobile is expanding the data service portfolio for the use in mobile handsets. Existing customers with voice tariffs +423 can activate the new data option on top of used voice SIM cards.

Be online, surf in the internet or check your emails while you are on the road - the new data option is already available in more than 60 countries. Get attractive data rates in Europe for 1,39Euro/MB.

Easy activation via my account:
The activation of the new data option can be done online via web in your my account (activation fee 3 Euro) Please take into account that the activation of "data option" limits the number of roaming providers to operators with voice and data services

Best regards,
United Mobile Team

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#23)
bourbonkiller (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 12-06-2008, 15:21

@f300

I just tried this out today. It states that it may last up to 5 days until the data option will be activated. As everyone might have seen, in the service area of the sim card there is a option to activate.

The 3 Euros will not been charged againt your balance, they will again bill your credit card or paypal.

They nowhere state if the voice tariff will change? They only state how much it cost to activate, that you will be limited with the number of roaming providers and the cost of data. Let's see what will happen...

Bourbonkiller

Mobiles: iPhone 7+, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, Blackberry Priv, Honor 8, Lumia 950
Prepaid-SIM: 3 UK, Save Money Sim, Toggle Mobile UK, XX-Sim, Koko Mobile

Old
  (#24)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 12-06-2008, 19:21

The per MB cost is higher than on the data cards and still comes with the per connection surcharge.

My understanding is that enabling the data profile on voice-only +423 cards will dramatically limits the networks the card can roam on.

As far as I'm concerned I'll stick with my ICQ card for data and secondary voice and the voice only +423 card (ex Riiing) for voice.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#25)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-06-2008, 19:22

I've also ordered the data service in the afternoon, but it has not been activated yet. Also there's no info on the required configuration details (APN, username, password) on the UM website and the customer support couldn't provide them, too.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 12-06-2008 at 19:29..

Old
  (#26)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 12-06-2008, 21:46

APN: UML.com
username: umdata
password: internet

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#27)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-06-2008, 20:51

Data has been activated for my SIM today.

Usage is being charged immediately, but sessions appear delayed in the web history.

However against the background of the high volume price of € 1,39/MB the session fee of € 0.39 is a real rip-off!

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 18-06-2008 at 21:05..

Old
  (#28)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-06-2008, 22:58

I may try the 3 euro conversion(a cheaper alternative to buying the new +423 data card). My +423 card has a zero balance (transferred last fall to the 44 card which had mixed results), but still says it is active on their account information menu. Would likely use it either in my Motorola V3 razr (GPRS) or AT&T Tilt (rebranded HTC 8925; it can do EDGE or HSPDA) and possibly tether it to my laptop.
I didn't get the email that was mentioned, but that may be because my UM cards are inactive, and only have about 6 euros on my 44 card right now.
The data price isn't a bargain, but it would give better coverage than wifi (which is not always free).

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#29)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-06-2008, 23:51

You should be able to activate the data option regardless of having received the newsletter or not. Also activity shouldn't be relevant, as my +423 SIM wasn't used for almost two years and had only € 3 of credit remaining.
Just log in to your UM account, where you should see a link called "SIM Options" behind the "Automatic recharge" button - that's where you can order the data option.
For me it took six days until data was actually enabled.

Last edited by inquisitor; 19-06-2008 at 13:30..

Old
  (#30)
kupe (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 29-06-2008, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
There's also a setup fee of € 0.39 for each connection and 100KB increments billing...
Has anyone had a chance to try this out to get a feel for how many "data connection charges" they are seeing? Is it like once a day when you turn the phone on and off? Or heaven forbid every time you launch your browser or email client? Less? More?

Thanks!

Kupe