PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#41)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 19-01-2009, 10:34

I don't think they'll get suspicious... They don't care. Moreover, kiosks (periptera) sell prepaid SIMs and some vendors in downtown Athens (especially in Chinese and Pak-Indian stores) will sell you the same packs for even as low as 1 Euro!

Old
  (#42)
luxor84 (Offline)

Default 23-03-2009, 13:00

I have read this news:
WIND HELLAS

Quote:
Services / WIND ADSM / WIND ADSM / WIND ADSM Clock 30

WIND ADSΜ is the only operator in Greece to offer mobile internet in hours. ADSM Clock is the perfect choice for people who want control of their mobile internet browsing based on time and not volume (MB).

Download as much as you like for 30 hours, without any limitations in MB.

20€ = 30 hours or 30€ = 100 hours

Minimum charges at 5 minutes - per minute charge.

The free data is applicable ONLY for usage within Greece. Roaming charges are estimated by volume and KB, like in the volume based tariff plans of ADSM. For roaming charges click here.
I have a prepaid sim. Do you think this is good? How can I activate this offer?

Old
  (#43)
Big_Nige (Offline)
Amateur Member

Question 28-03-2009, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmour View Post
I thought I should open this thread for greek HSPA mobile broadband offers, prepaid and postpaid...
It's been a while since you wrote this very helpful guide, so I wondered what the current situation is.

I'm taking my boat back to Greece soon, and I'll need mobile broadband for a week or two at a time until October each year. Good coverage on the islands, rather than the mainland, is important.

With my current contract (T-Mobile in Croatia) I get 512MB per month for about €15. I use about 100MB per week, so a busy month gets to about 250MB.

Ideally I'd like a Pay As You Go (PAYG) service like Vodafone Top Up and Go but a reasonable monthly charge (say €15) would be acceptable, especially if it could be put into "sleep" mode when I'm not there.

I've got an unlocked E220 USB modem.

What would your suggestions be?

Old
  (#44)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 04-04-2009, 21:38

I just found this: Vodafone Mobile Broadband Tariff Plans which has a prepaid option.

I think this is new - I haven't seen it before, anyway - but it's not clear to me how it works. It looks as if you pay 43€ and get "43 € of free usage volume" but whether you can then use that to subscribe to one of the VMC package, and whether that's automatically renewed - it doesn't say. Does anyone know how it works?

What I want is to subscribe to the 5Gb package for the periods that I'm in Greece and then to unsubscribe when I return home.

The Voda prices are the same as Cosmote Internet on the Go - but that is (I think) only available as an add-on to a contract (eg the zero monthly contract).

Dave
s/y Vigdis

Old
  (#45)
Big_Nige (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-04-2009, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRo View Post
I just found this: Vodafone Mobile Broadband Tariff Plans which has a prepaid option.

I think this is new - I haven't seen it before, anyway - but it's not clear to me how it works. It looks as if you pay 43€ and get "43 € of free usage volume"
I checked. You pay €43, then get €43 worth of usage, but at €4,3 per MB this is just 10MB

I'm going to go with their €15 a month contract, if you don't get a subsidised modem, you can cancel at any time after 2 months.

To apply for this, you need [my comments]:

1) Your Tax number [UK number OK] or Greek Tax registration number

2) Your ID card or your Passport.

3) Also you must declare your resident address here in Greece, in which you will be receiving an itemized bill with the account's details every month. [This address can be temporary, as you can download the bills online]

4) Payment should be made by Credit Card or Cash. (In case of Cash payment you must deposit a 300 Euros warranty).

5) Minimum time of a contractual connection is 2 months. If you buy only the connection sim card you have no extra payment at the end of your contract 2 months later. If you buy the sim card with a USB stick modem you have to pay (100% of the Value of the mobile device) at the end of your 2 months contract. The price of the USB stick is 189 Euros (VAT incl) at the present time.

Last edited by Big_Nige; 09-04-2009 at 13:05..

Old
  (#46)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-04-2009, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Nige View Post
I checked. You pay €43, then get €43 worth of usage, but at €4,3 per MB this is just 10MB...
In that case what does Charges for use in excess of the free usage volume mean? It appears under the prepaid deal - see my link.

Old
  (#47)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 10-04-2009, 13:23

It means that after reaching the 43 Euro limit (10MB) you will pay those rates per KB!

Old
  (#48)
Big_Nige (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 10-04-2009, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmour View Post
It means that after reaching the 43 Euro limit (10MB) you will pay those rates per KB!
Which means you really have to keep an eye on your usage!

Old
  (#49)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-04-2009, 15:18

Are you both sure that the bundles (250Mb, 5Gb) are not available with prepaid? If it is €4.3/Mb while you use up the €43 and €4.2/Mb (?) afterwards then that could have been expressed much more clearly!

Oh well - so still no sensible prepaid internet access in Greece?

Dave

Old
  (#50)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-04-2009, 11:29

Back in Greece, so I activated Wind Non-stop, since I had the SIM and some credit. I find that I cannot access some sites – e.g. my webmail at webmail.1and1.co.uk, or the mobile gmail site. Neither will resolve. And if I enter an IP address for 1and1 I still cannot access the site. Other sites – windfinder, poseidon weather, work OK.

This seems to be a new restriction compared with last year.

Tags
cosmote, greece gprs, vodafone gr, wind gr