hdelagrange (Offline)

Post Data with tethering - 10-07-2012, 09:30

I'm planning to go to Italy for a few weeks. I want to:
* use tethering from my Android tablet to 2 smartphones and an ipod touch;
* be online without watching the clock,
* have at least 1 GB;
* do not need to call;
* want a hassle-free experience;
* need good coverage since I want to use the tablet or a phone that is tethered to it as gps;
* pay around 25 euro, if possible less...

That would bring down the options to:
WIND: Mega Unlimited
TIM: INTERNET 5GB per Tablet
Vodafone: Sempre Super

Correct? It is all very complicated.

I also have a Tre simcard that still works, so the option of SuperInternet is also possible which is really cheap. I remember the coverage of Tre to be just acceptable (unfortunately I could not stop my own mifi to roam so it was almost unuseable), but I'm afraid the coverage in rural areas might be not that good (going to Puglia inlands). Any ideas on that?

Last edited by hdelagrange; 10-07-2012 at 09:33.. Reason: correct spelling & add info on Tre

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-07-2012, 17:59

In Puglia TIM and Wind should be the best choice.
Check the updated page on data in Italy, TIM's per tablet options do not exist anymore.

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
hdelagrange (Offline)

Default 18-07-2012, 13:47

Thanks, Effendi.
The Wind offer seems less complicated. I think I'll go for that.

Old
  (#4)
hdelagrange (Offline)

Post Some experiences with data prepaid in Italy - 06-08-2012, 13:15

I'm back from Italy...
* I bought a TIM simcard (costs €10) and the Internet Large option (€19), for 5gb, upped to 10gb with a promotion. I used the Codice Fiscale I generated online.
* I used the SIM in an Android tablet and shared the connection with a lot of other devices (3 iPads, 3 iPhones, iPod Touch, Android phone). In that case, 5gb would not have been enough - those things eat a lot of data!
* It took the full 48 hours to be activated, which is frustrating.
* Coverage of TIM is excellent, though in remote areas expect to have only Edge inside houses or buildings, unless you search for places next to the window. Outside there was always 3G or HSDPA. If you are on 3G or HDSPA, the connection usually is very fast - faster than the wifi you get sometimes. We could be surfing with all the mentioned devices without any lags. We could even make a facetime call (but we needed the Android tablet as a go between, "faking" wifi!)
* I could use tethering with no restrictions whatsoever. It was like a full ADSL line.
* I have the impression that TIM and WIND are on a close call regarding coverage; my phone was on one of the two mostly. Vodafone is 3rd. Tre is not interesting for this kind of use; coverage is not good enough. They are cheap and quick though (I tried it last year) so if you are ok with their coverage, check them out because they have the best offer. Also their sims work out of the box.
* I could not reload my simcard with paypal. Recharging is a problem outside of Italy. I'll have to ask other Italy-goers to do it for me because I want to keep this SIMcard active.

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-08-2012, 09:24

Yes, from what I can read on internet, Wind ant TIM in Puglia are surely the best choices. Vodafone is really decreasing its network quality and even coverage also here in the north of Italy, something unbelievable, also considering they are the most expensive.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#6)
r0b (Offline)

Default 12-09-2012, 17:29

Can the TIM "internet large" option be added to a SIM card for mobile to allow access to the internet for that device and thethering?

From the site it seems like it's just for tablets.

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 13-09-2012, 08:27

You can use it on any phone, modem, tablet, etc... what's important is to verify your phone uses the ibox.tim.it APN and not the mobile (wap) APN.

Old
  (#8)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 14-11-2012, 17:32

This is interesting.

Anyone try tethering with an unlocked iOS device?

Maybe something like the IPad Mini in the future would be the way to go for LTE prepaid.

One oddity, there is a trenitalia app that lets you buy train tickets. But it's only for the iPad, not iPhone or iPod Touch, which would be easier to carry around and use the app. on the go.