PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
critical (Offline)

Default any review on the unlocked ZTE mf 96 (tmobile sonic 2.0 lte) mifi? - 03-03-2015, 02:45

any review on the unlocked ZTE mf 96 (tmobile sonic 2.0 lte) mifi?

like would it work in asia countries and say maybe canada ?

thanks

Old
  (#2)
powerlifter (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-03-2015, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical View Post
any review on the unlocked ZTE mf 96 (tmobile sonic 2.0 lte) mifi?

like would it work in asia countries and say maybe canada ?

thanks
I had the ZTE 86 mifi. I could not get it to connect at all to any of my mobile devices. I brought my brother-in -law over who is a software engineer , and he was unable to make it work. I sent it back to amazon.

[size=1]Prepaid cards, Moldova Tempo, Kyrg Republic BiTel, India Hutch, Bulgaria Mtel, Vodafone, UK. Etisalat. UAE. Afghan Wireless, Afghanistan. Three, UK. T-mobile post-paid.

Phones Gsm Iphone6+

Old
  (#3)
critical (Offline)

Default 06-03-2015, 00:11

i just got it but wasnt unlocked, it does not work with phone plan that is prepaid so far

Old
  (#4)
mikejbradley (Offline)

Default Working with ZTE mf 96 - 08-03-2015, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical View Post
i just got it but wasnt unlocked, it does not work with phone plan that is prepaid so far
I just ordered a used one since TMobile has a $30 / 3GB data plan. I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Expert. I'll assist you if I can. There is no such thing as "locked" or "unlocked" with a hotspot (or cell phone for that matter) which requires a SIM card. The SIM is what "locks" a cell phone to a carrier in cell phones or hot spots which have built-in SIMs. The mf 96 has a replaceable SIM. So the first question is, did you order a new SIM from your carrier, or are you trying to use a SIM already installed, or do you not even have a SIM for it. The SIM looks like an oversized micro SD card. Open the back cover. By the way, if you don't have the User Guide, get it from www.zteusa.com. Read the section on installing the SIM. Let me know if that's not the problem, I'll check back the web site and maybe you can send me email if it shows, I'm new to this web site....good luck.

Old
  (#5)
mikejbradley (Offline)

Default Locked or Unlocked on devices which require replaceable SIMs - 08-03-2015, 00:28

Theoretically a hot spot / cell phone which uses a removable SIM can only be locked by a carrier who registers the MEID address of the device to a paricular person / cell phone number. If someone buys (or steals) the device and replaces the removable SIM, they cannot activate it with the same carrier unless the carrier allows it, since the carrier has a database which says this MEID/MAC address belongs to someone else. That would not prevent someone from using the device on a compatible competing carrier - TMobile for AT&T, Sprint for Verizon. The four major carriers are not 100% compatible, so don't just assume you can use an AT&T cell phone on TMobile. But Straight Talk Wireless supports both AT&T and TMobile phones on a BYOD plan. I'm not sure whether the MEID database is shared by all carriers, it might be. But I'm pretty sure the rule is now, that if a phone # or MEID is not connected to a cell/data plan for over 30 days, the carriers "cross it out" and recycle the MEID and the phone #, since I've bought cell phones which "used to have someone else's number" and voice mail for the prior owner of the number. That also means that usually a device which is sold as used, if the account it was attached to wasn't deactivated, the MEID will become available to re-register 30 days after the plan was cancelled for non-payment, or immediately after the MEID is removed from the account and replaced the the new device's MEID. This is what carriers do when people upgrade their phones, they deactivate the old MEID and replace it with a new MEID on the same account....

Last edited by mikejbradley; 08-03-2015 at 01:08.. Reason: Added more info

Old
  (#6)
mikejbradley (Offline)

Default Devices which require replaceable SIM - 08-03-2015, 00:41

When you buy a new or used device which requires a repaceable SIM, like the mf 96, if you buy it used you must buy a SIM card for it and replace the SIM, so you can register the device on your data plan with your carrier. If you buy it new, your carrier will generally install a new SIM and activate it for you on the account you used to buy it. If it's new, you just power it on, it's already activated. If it's used, you replace the SIM with the one you bought, install it according to the instructions which came with the SIM card your carrier sent with the SIM. Nowadays the carriers usually register and activate the SIM card before they ship it to you, so you just insert it and power it on like a new device. A couple years ago they'd give you instructions to call their tech support to activate it, but now it's pretty automatic. If you're having problems with activation - and either it's new, or you bought and replaced the SIM already, call the carrier's tech support...they're there to assist.

Old
  (#7)
mikejbradley (Offline)

Default mf 96 Compatibility - 08-03-2015, 00:54

I just bought a used mf96 and a TMobile data plan. The device is a Tmobile device, although it also worked with US Cellular. Many people think LTE is LTE and don't know there are a dozen different LTE bands, classified as bands 1-x. Bands 1-4 are most popular..Verizon uses band 1, 1900. the mf 96 uses band 4, LTE AWS, 1800. Many countries outside the U.S. use another band at 2600. When in doubt, check with your preferred carrier if they support the device in the country where you intend to use it. If I travel abroad, I guess I'd have to go to London, since obviously Tmobile supports their home country.