PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
sperial (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default A month in the US - 13-07-2012, 13:27

My son is planning a one month trip to the USA - a week in NYC and three weeks in California, Nevada and Arizona.
For communication with home he will use either an IL HOT-mobile or IL Golan telecom SIM, both offering very cheap international roaming, competing with international calls from a US mobile number. However, he needs a prepaid data SIM (or plan).
Which is the preferred carrier and plan for his needs, considering that he will use an unlocked AT&T Nexus S handset?

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-07-2012, 00:15

You need to go with a ATT or one of the virtual networks which use their network. The ATT variant of the Nexus S doesn't support TMobile's 3g/"4g" frequencies.

In my opinion, the best deal is the Straight Talk SIM from Walmart which is $45 for unlimited everything:

Straight Talk SIM Card + iPhone 4S = $45 Unlimited Prepaid Plan My Money Blog

There are people that say there is a softcap on it. Pocketmobile also uses ATT's network. I'm not sure how cheap your roaming is on the Israeli providers, but I would think you'd come out cheaper with a virtual Israeli number forwarded to the US number and a cheap calling card back to Israel. I like VOIP Cheap (a Betamax company) with the Mobile VOIP app. 300 minutes a week are free to landlines, it supports VOIP over 3g, Callback, and dial through. 10 euros gets you 90 days worth of coverage.

Old
  (#3)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-07-2012, 01:44

Let me add (before someone else does) TMobile is rolling out HSPA+ on the 1900mhz band, but it is hardly universal. Using TMobile, your son will find some 3g, but not everywhere.

Old
  (#4)
sperial (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 14-07-2012, 04:55

Thanks very much.

The new Israeli operators offer very attractive roaming rates: HOT mobile charges ILS 1(=USD 0.25/EUR 0.20)/min for incoming and callback to Israel and ILS 0.39 (USD 1/EUR 0./min for local and intarnational calls from Eurpoe, USA and Canada. Golan is expected to be cheaper from Eorope when they will start international roaming later in July.

Old
  (#5)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-07-2012, 05:23

They are excellent rates and I am impressed. For the record, VOIP.MS offers an Israeli landline number for US$9 a month and will forward to US phone numbers for under one US cent a minute. Mydivert.com has Israeli numbers for €4,50 per month. Forwarding to US numbers is around 1 cent a minute. Your solution may make more sense (depending on usage).