PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#21)
xylem (Offline)

Default 31-05-2009, 17:16

Update on Internet Max option:
- costs 12 EUR (Orange Shop, Corsica)
- have to manually activate new access point (settings were set up automatically) on Nokia, Symbian

I'm selling my Mobicarte SIM if anyone interested:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/buy-...te-france.html

Old
  (#22)
superflysocal (Offline)

Default 03-06-2009, 17:17

Gosh, why couldn't I have discovered this website before i went o europe 3 weeks ago????

I bought the mobicarte but because of the clueless orange reps, I did not get internet because they said i couldn't. a whole week without internet!!

By the way I was charged 20euro for the card that came with 5 or 10 euro of calltime (probably 5 euro).

Can someone elaborate on the process of getting the internet? If i don't speak French, how hard is it to understand the telephone menu to pay for it? maybe someone can outline the numbers to press (although it may change) at each menu?

Thanks!

(O2 in UK was so much better!!)

Old
  (#23)
superflysocal (Offline)

Default 03-06-2009, 17:19

by the way while I was in district 1 in paris and had a O2 UK card roaming, it always picked Bourgues over orange or SFR, since it always had a stronger signal with bouygues, but it may have been where i was at.

Old
  (#24)
Lobby (Offline)

Default 17-06-2009, 17:29

I see that the Option Internet Max now says that email (POP3 etc.) is no longer available. However there is an option "mail illimite" available for €9 per month which gives unlimited email access.

I presume both can be bought together and used that way?

mail option:

http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u...s/options.html

Last edited by Lobby; 17-06-2009 at 17:31.. Reason: Typo and added link

Old
  (#25)
wisniak (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-06-2009, 05:52

Well, I just got home from a week in Paris.

In the 2nd day there I found an Orange shop (seems that there're aren't that many around, at least not in the areas I visited), and I purchased a SIM card (it cost 15EUR) and an 25EUR refill card.

Initially the guy didn't know what I was talking about (regardind a pre-paid SIM), but after I showed him a printout from this site and some of the "internet max" option, he finally got it.

He also proposed purchasing a 3G/EDGE USB plug (like a disk-on-key), which could also be refilled, but I explained I need it for my PDA, so this option wasn;t applicable for me.

In any case, for some reason or other they weren't able to turn on the internet max option in that occasion, so I went on using the refill card, hoping that it would hold for a couple of days.
Sadly, the credit was eaten up pretty quickly.

I tried setting up the internet max option by myself, using the (free) SMS menu system that Orange uses in France, but wasn't able to.
So I then called (at a charge of 0.37EUR/min) the Orange support, but they told me that I needed to go to an Orange store to turn on the Internet max option, and then it'd take at least 2 days for it to be useable (she didn't explain why). And since I had only 2 days left, I gave up on it and purchased another refill card.

I can report that reception is pretty good in all the areas I visited (which is most of the tourist areas in Paris).

Further, there are quire a few free Wifi hotspots, so I used them whenever I could.

I wanted to thank all the members here who helped me prior to my visit to France.

Old
  (#26)
kevinn (Offline)

Default Orangr France Internet settings: orange, orange, orange - 25-07-2009, 06:19

Before I purchased Internet Max, I wanted to make sure I could use the internet at all... Didn't work automatically, so I tried orange.fr as access point as mentioned earlier; no go. Searched on web and found following:

MXit Forum • View topic - APN (Access Point Name) Settings

Basically, for Orange personal, access point is just "orange". Web site says orange for username and password as well; that worked for me.

Happy surfing all!

Old
  (#27)
engelatreyu (Offline)

Default 22-09-2009, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarivar View Post
I've been living in France since October 2008 and have been using a Mobicarte and was hit by that stupid mail overcharge -- twice! I ended up losing 80€ before I realized that for some godawful reason, Orange treats email differently than web traffic. So yeah, no Mail app on my unlocked iPhone for me -- Gmail thank you very much.

Also, if you buy a larger recharge card like 100€, where you get 150€ worth of credit, and you transfer some of that to a friend (5€, for ex), beware that that credit expires in a week. I learned that one the hard way too.

Orange has a current promotion for the new "Special Edition" Mobicarte where you pay 20€ of credit, then you get the option of free calls to Orange mobiles either 7h-17h during the week, 19h-00h during the week, or all day weekends. Not sure how long this one will last.

Also, I've got two Orange SIMs that I'll gladly send out from France in early May, or when I'm back Stateside in early May.
I had that exact 100E problem. I got a Iphone, unlocked and jailbroken from the united states and arrived to france one week ago. I charged the mobicarte with the 100E +50 free. I got the credit and everything was ok until yesterday I Realize my account was empty when I NEVER used the internet connection of the phone (nor the internet apps). Besides that I went and checked on Orange.fr personal account info and it stated that I was wired to the internet at some hours where i was asleep. My mail was iphone configurated though ( even before I came back to France) and I just wrote to service clientele about this issue.

Has anyone got to solve the problem? and has orange given them their money back ( since i never requested an cellular internet connection service for my simcard). Can anyone explain me how do I AVOID the iphone going on the internet without me asking ( I am only interested in using just thE wifi connection from my house's and workplace's modem) I mean i don't want the phone to be connecting to 3G or EDGE or just INTERNET unless I ask him to.

Thank you, I would really appreciate some help on this issue since I am not a cellphone "connaisseur" and usually this kind of phone bill issues in France are complicated ( and I need and want to have my money reimbursed) since those 100E is what I spend in 6 months of cellphone communications and I happen to be a not wealthy person at all. Thanks again

Old
  (#28)
b1g (Offline)

Default Availability update? Tethering/hotspot use? - 09-10-2009, 14:43

Availability update (October 2009):
Does anyone have any more current information on this offer? The initial post is from Feb 2009 and a scan of this thread and other sites say it is/was 9€/mo, then there's a post above to suggest it's now 12€, in Corsica at least, and for some it's not or no longer available. From Orange's website, the Internet Max option I only find as a daily add-on for 3€, on Mobicarte. I'm going to France next week and am ordering a Mobicarte on the web - it's 15€ including delivery and 5€ credit from Orange's website - and I'll be happy to report back at a later date but for now I'm just wondering if anyone has in the last month activated Internet Max at 9€/mo and how - via their phone (is it straightforward to avg/non-fluent French speakers?) or at an Orange Shop?

Email: Does anyone know if the S60 Gmail app uses one of the "charging" ports for email usage? Even if secure ports like 993, 587, or 465 are available and charge-free?

Connect PC via tethering or hotspot: Has anyone successfully used their mobile either as a bluetooth modem to connect their laptop to the web (tethering), or even create a WiFi hotspot using an app like JoikuSpot? I would have thought the latter is possible, but tethering I don't know.

Thanks for any input!

Old
  (#29)
Teddy-bear (Offline)

Exclamation 18-10-2009, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1g View Post
Availability update (October 2009):
Does anyone have any more current information on this offer? The initial post is from Feb 2009 and a scan of this thread and other sites say it is/was 9€/mo, then there's a post above to suggest it's now 12€, in Corsica at least, and for some it's not or no longer available. From Orange's website, the Internet Max option I only find as a daily add-on for 3€, on Mobicarte. I'm going to France next week and am ordering a Mobicarte on the web - it's 15€ including delivery and 5€ credit from Orange's website - and I'll be happy to report back at a later date but for now I'm just wondering if anyone has in the last month activated Internet Max at 9€/mo and how - via their phone (is it straightforward to avg/non-fluent French speakers?) or at an Orange Shop?

Email: Does anyone know if the S60 Gmail app uses one of the "charging" ports for email usage? Even if secure ports like 993, 587, or 465 are available and charge-free?

Connect PC via tethering or hotspot: Has anyone successfully used their mobile either as a bluetooth modem to connect their laptop to the web (tethering), or even create a WiFi hotspot using an app like JoikuSpot? I would have thought the latter is possible, but tethering I don't know.

Thanks for any input!
I am intersesting also

Can you give us the result what it is now on MOBICARTE?

TX a lot

Old
  (#30)
DaveRo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 18-10-2009, 11:42

This post
Mobicarte Orange [topic unique] - Page : 27 - GSM - Technologies Mobiles - FORUM HardWare.fr
suggests that internet max is no longer available with mobicarte.

Tags
france, internet data, mobicarte, orange france