PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Nano sim & Coverage - 05-01-2015, 02:28

Im looking for a little input, I have extensively read the prepaidwithdata wiki but my question is more of coverage and logistics of getting a nano sim.

My wife and I are on Tmobile here in the US and have the free international roaming however we will be in Germany (Munich) for a month the first part of this year and I would like to know what the easiest option is for obtaining a nano sim for her 6+ is. While we will stay in Munich it's important to note that we plan to traveling to many other parts of the country, some of which I am sure will take us through non metro areas and so I am not sure of the coverage of some operators. I should add that I don't care about LTE, adequate coverage of 3G is fine with me.

Aldi seems to be recommended by the Inquisitor alot but do they offer nano sims over the counter?

Anyone have any input?

Last edited by money69; 05-01-2015 at 02:50..

Old
  (#2)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-01-2015, 10:12

Most of the PAYG operators dont have nano SIM in the shops.
Usually you have to purchase a package first and then order a nano SIM via the customer service.

The biggest chance in my opinion is to go to a vodafone/t-mobile shop and get the SIM there. They usually have nano SIM on stock.
Get a "Callya Smartphone Basic" that will cost 10 Euro and gives you 250 MB of high speed data. Minutes to vodafone are free, other german numbers are 9ct/min, calls to USA are 4ct/min +15ct flagfall per call.

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#3)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 06-01-2015, 04:58

Thanks for the info, 250MB will not be enough for my wife however. Do you know what it costs to add additional high speed data to the vodafone plan??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
Most of the PAYG operators dont have nano SIM in the shops.
Usually you have to purchase a package first and then order a nano SIM via the customer service.

The biggest chance in my opinion is to go to a vodafone/t-mobile shop and get the SIM there. They usually have nano SIM on stock.
Get a "Callya Smartphone Basic" that will cost 10 Euro and gives you 250 MB of high speed data. Minutes to vodafone are free, other german numbers are 9ct/min, calls to USA are 4ct/min +15ct flagfall per call.

Old
  (#4)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-01-2015, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by money69 View Post
Thanks for the info, 250MB will not be enough for my wife however. Do you know what it costs to add additional high speed data to the vodafone plan??
250 MB = 5 Euro
500 MB = 10 Euro
1 GB = 15 Euro

The 500 MB and 1 GB options also include LTE usage, normally the cards are only 2G and 3G enabled.

you can book these options free of charge by calling 22044 (customer care) or on wap.vodafone.de (will be most propably in german only)

Old
  (#5)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-01-2015, 03:14

Thanks for the info, From what I can see Deutsche Telekom is the same price which would it at 25EUR or ~$30 for 1.5 of data, ultimately it doesn't seem worth it.

I guess another option could be to see if I can get a microsim cut down to nano but Im not sure I want to mess with that while enjoying Germany.

Quote:
250 MB = 5 Euro
500 MB = 10 Euro
1 GB = 15 Euro

The 500 MB and 1 GB options also include LTE usage, normally the cards are only 2G and 3G enabled.

you can book these options free of charge by calling 22044 (customer care) or on wap.vodafone.de (will be most propably in german only)

Old
  (#6)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-01-2015, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by money69 View Post
Thanks for the info, From what I can see Deutsche Telekom is the same price which would it at 25EUR or ~$30 for 1.5 of data, ultimately it doesn't seem worth it.

I guess another option could be to see if I can get a microsim cut down to nano but Im not sure I want to mess with that while enjoying Germany.
Yes, but on T-Mobile international calls are quite expensive.

If you buy a SIM card at these mobile phone shops in train stations where you can also call aborad and maybe get drugs under the table they usually cut the SIM to nano right away if you ask them

Old
  (#7)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 07-01-2015, 10:01

Quote:
Yes, but on T-Mobile international calls are quite expensive.

If you buy a SIM card at these mobile phone shops in train stations where you can also call aborad and maybe get drugs under the table they usually cut the SIM to nano right away if you ask them
Perfect(not the drugs hehe), I will have to look into that, thanks for your continued help!

Old
  (#8)
lover08 (Offline)
Official Member

Default Germany SIM card - 08-01-2015, 21:03

You can purchase lebara or Blau SIM cards
They give very competitive rates.

BLAU has now very good coverage 4G and 3G
1GB bundle costs 9.90€ 3GB costs 14.90€ 5GB 19.80€
They have some deal calls to USA landlines cost 0.09€ minute a
and 0.29€ mobiles in USA

lebara has also good 3G coverage and perfect plans available
13€ 1GB bundle 15€ 3GB bundle. There is also plan
29.99€ available with 1000 minutes to USA or within Germany plus 1GB Internet
fonic SIM card is also good it gives unlimited Internet 2€ calendar day
While after 10 days within one calendar month you will not pay more
So 20€ max charge in one callendar month (5GB auick speed. And than slow)
You can also purchase these SIM cards in advance on ebay and some sellers can
Activate it for you and make it nano size and prepare all plan that you will need
Alex

Old
  (#9)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-01-2015, 14:38

Nano SIM card cutters are available for $6.28 from US based sellers including domestic shipping and are an essential tool for travelling iPhone owners:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

In order to make an informed decision you might want to review all four German operators' coverage maps:

Telekom (including Lebara sans LTE)

Vodafone (including Lycamobile sans LTE)

eplus GSM/UMTS
eplus LTE (including AldiTalk, blau, simyo)

o2 (including Lidl, Fonic, sans LTE)

Keep in mind that among German operators only eplus allows prepaid subscribers onto their LTE network regardless of their tariff plan while Vodafone offers explicitly LTE-enabled bundles starting from € 10 for 500MB/month.
Given that eplus has started its LTE rollout only last year using a comparably high frequency band (1800MHz/LTE band 3) their LTE coverage is still very limited and concentrated on the large agglomerations. In contrast Vodafone has pretty far-reaching LTE coverage especially in rural regions thanks to the low frequency band used (800MHz/LTE band 20).

Following the acquisition of eplus by O2 both networks will undergo an integration process which will involve decommisioning of many redundant cell sites and probably opening both networks for biliteral national roaming. Actually o2 has recently started a closed beta test in a rural area where o2 selected customers can now roam on the eplus network. In the end of this integration coverage should significantly improve for subscribers of both former networks.

The iPhone 6 (+) supports all German GSM, UMTS and LTE frequencies, regardless of its version (A1522, A1524, A1549, A1586), so there's no hardware limitation for you.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#10)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 12-01-2015, 16:42

Well written summary. I just suggested Vodafone because it is most likely to get a staff activating your card and booking the right package if you go in the shops of the big guys. Some online activation or german speaking phone hotline is a big hazzle in our country in my opinion.