PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
Juandpurple (Offline)

Default 3 Mobile Prepaid for Italy & Austria - 26-05-2011, 20:23

I have read most of the threads that I can find relating to this topic and still got a few questions. I will be on a Europe tour with our concert band, so it'll be tight group travel most of the time. I kinda only have one shot at getting a SIM card, so I want to do as much research as possible in advance and in and out of the shop hopefully in 30 mins.

We'll spend roughly 1 week in Italy (Rome, Florence, Montecatini/Pisa/Lucca, Venie/Mestre) and 1 week in Austria (Vienna, Hallstatt, Schladming) None of the hotels we are staying offer free wifi, so I want to get a SIM from Italy that would give data in both Italy & Austria.

Looking through the options, whilst TIM and Wind offers better deal in Italy, Tre.it seems to offer best deal for my case using their "Like Home" feature. Looking at the coverage map, all the places we go should be covered by the 3 network.

So here is how I understand the process:

1) Head to a 3 mobile shop (Best one is probably at the Termini Station in Rome, as we would tour the Colosseum that morning and one hour lunch free time) and get a "SIM Prepagata" which would cost €10 with € 5 Credit.

-?Should I choose 3power10 or Autoricarica? I know 3power10 has €5 activation cost, but what's the catch then for Autoricarica? I am not going to make many phone calls so the cost/min does not concern me.

2) Subscribe to "Superweb Week" for 15 hour/week unlimited internet. I prefer this over the Super Internet as I won't be on net every day but when I do I don't want data restrictions.

-? The T&C of Superweb says the 7 days starts on 00:00 each Sunday. I intend to get SIM on a Saturday. Is this true?? should I hold off activate this feature until Sunday? How do I activate without internet access?

-? Is there anyway/other plans that allows me to top up once I am over the 15 hour/week? Say if I use up the 15 hours in the first 3 days, is there a plan that allows me to pay another €3 and I get another 15 hours of internet? OR can I stack the offer - pay €3 for Superweb and if I used up the 15 hours, opt in the Super Internet or vice versa?

3) I have a smart phone (Samsung Omnia 2 aka i8000L) and intend to bring a laptop. I am thinking of getting a data stick either from Canada or in Italy. I see the Huawei E173 is selling for €19 on the Tre.it website.

-? Is this outright price? I can just pick it up at the shop (assuming they have stock) and use the sim for laptop? If so, I would prefer to do this opposed to bring one from Canada, so I won't have any set up issues.

4) I want to use "Like Home" feature when we are in Austria.
-? The roaming is automatic as long as I have credit in my account?
-? How do I stop roaming if I am outside 3 network in Italy and Austria, as well as if I reached 15 hour/week limit and cannot renew for another few days?

5) Can I stop auto-renewing Superweb once I am in Austria? I need it to auto-renew only once, then want to stop this option.

To Sum up, I think €20 should be enough to cover the cost: €10 for the SIM and any set up cost, and €10 refill to cover 2 weeks of Superweb, plus txt and short phone calls.

Any comments/Recommendation would be appreciated!