PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default European data caps set - 26-03-2009, 16:15

The first cap comes in on the 1st of July!

Mobile roaming: MEPs reach political agreement with Council Presidency

Quote:
from 1 July 2009: a maximum of €1.00 per megabyte (excluding VAT);
from 1 July 2010: a maximum of €0.80 per megabyte (excluding VAT);
from 1 July 2011: a maximum of €0.50 per megabyte (excluding VAT)

Also see: BBC NEWS | Technology | European mobile data prices set

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-03-2009, 18:18

Firstly allthough it's very likely to happen, the European Parliament has not yet voted on that bill.
Secondly in contrast to the regulation of call and SMS rates, those data rates concern wholesale prices (the price operators charge each other) only, which means operators can still decide freely what they will charge to customers.
However since this approach is the last chance for European carriers to introduce reasonable data tariffs voluntarily they will hopefully offer data prices of € 1,50/MB or less - if not it's a question of time till data rates will also be regulated regarding consumers.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-03-2009, 18:29

Thanks for the clarifications! I have to say I was jumping through the article a bit too quick!

Old
  (#4)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-03-2009, 21:52

Remember that these EU regulations, like the ones governing call prices, only affect roaming. Using my German Vodafone SIM, it costs me 1.99 EUR/min to call France from Berlin, for example. If I take the phone roaming to Poland, calling France drops to 54 cents/min. Somehow I don't think the (likewise ridiculously overpriced) 20 EUR/MB domestic data rate will change because of this either.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#5)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 27-03-2009, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
Remember that these EU regulations, like the ones governing call prices, only affect roaming. Using my German Vodafone SIM, it costs me 1.99 EUR/min to call France from Berlin, for example. If I take the phone roaming to Poland, calling France drops to 54 cents/min. Somehow I don't think the (likewise ridiculously overpriced) 20 EUR/MB domestic data rate will change because of this either.
Then it will just make more sense to always use a foreign (neighbouring country) SIM in the country you wish to use it in. The domestic rates should come down due to this.

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-03-2009, 00:18

National rates won't change at all - on the contrary, operators will rather raise rates in order to compensate the declinig income from the big roaming-rip-off. Soon we Europeans will use SIMs from other EU-countries than the one we live in in order to get cheaper rates for international calls and SMS and maybe even data.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#7)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 27-03-2009, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Soon we Europeans will use SIMs from other EU-countries than the one we live in in order to get cheaper rates for international calls ...
Funny but too true! I'm already doing so! My o2 UK card gets more use here for voice and SMS than my Spanish Yoigo.

Old
  (#8)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-03-2009, 01:36

Isn't that crazy? I guess operators that have operations in many countries such as Vodafone, O2, T-Mobile, and Orange will benefit the most but other operators like maybe 3 will likely suffer.

With my personal situation, Vodafone UK roaming in Canada is cheaper (£4.99/MB) than T-Mobile USA ($0.01/KB) roaming there due to the current exchange rate. Anything cheaper available that is pre-paid for roaming in Canada?