PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default data lasts more than 30 days? - 11-06-2011, 04:26

been using Orange sim cards when traveling to the UK, but the data "extra" (5 pounds for 250 MB) only lasts 30 days. I'm over there quite often for short trips, is there a sim with data that lasts longer without expiring?

will probably keep the Orange sim for my Samsung Vibrant, but it runs very slowly on GPRS, not 3G, I think it's a frequency issue.
So will try out my new mifi Zoom We3G with a separate data only sim.

Old
  (#12)
nic (Offline)

Default 13-06-2011, 09:59

Three have a new monthly data only sim. £5.11 for 2gb month on a rolling contact. So okay if want data only for longer visits

SIM Only

Old
  (#13)
webvan (Offline)

Default 16-07-2012, 22:49

Bit of a bump but a valuable thread

About to need some prepaid data in the UK myself, was able to check the T-Mobile coverage map (O2's coverage map won't launch) and their deals seem pretty good, £10 for one month of free internet (unlimited email/web) and 500Mb for downloads/video apparently. They don't say anything about tethering though...

Question is, can I just pop into a T-Mobile shop and get a microSIM and be on my way?

Old
  (#14)
webvan (Offline)

Default 25-07-2012, 15:28

Anyone ?

So I called T-Mbile UK and it seems I can get a prepaid microSIM for my iPhone 4S for £10 and get 500Mb data for free (bonus for iPhone 4 and 4S), not sure I can tether with the built-in hotspot feature though, pretty sure I can't. Would have to splurge for MyWi or maybe I can put that microSIM and my Android and run Barnacle from there...

Old
  (#15)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-07-2012, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post
Bit of a bump but a valuable thread

About to need some prepaid data in the UK myself, was able to check the T-Mobile coverage map (O2's coverage map won't launch) and their deals seem pretty good, £10 for one month of free internet (unlimited email/web) and 500Mb for downloads/video apparently. They don't say anything about tethering though...

Question is, can I just pop into a T-Mobile shop and get a microSIM and be on my way?
Your best bet is Giffgaff. If you go to their "Community", you will find people who will send a free SIM to you abroad including some free credit when you top up.

Old
  (#16)
webvan (Offline)

Default 18-10-2012, 23:27

Oops, hadn't seen that reply.

Tried GiffGaff but the SIM never made it to my address in the UK. I'd gotten a T-Mobile iPhone card for £10 unlimited and that worked great for my trip, always got 3G speeds and was able to share my connection using the iPhone standard wi-fi sharing when needed.

Old
  (#17)
John Dough (Offline)

Default 25-10-2012, 20:59

Just back frpm a UK trip and the people in the T-mobile shops while very courteous don't have a clue about APN settings told me to ring 150 and 15 minutes on two occasions to get through to CS in Philipines but they gave me the wrong info so not impressed, also had a Vodafone Irish sim and that worked great in my router so I could surf away for €5 for hours with wi-fi to smartphone. Finally got the correct settings for Tmob and now it works fine with booster pack in Europe £1 and still going after 5 days!!