PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Disable call forwarding TO YOUR MAILBOX - 09-03-2010, 09:31

Sorry! Just in case I confused anyone, I should have written:

Don´t forget to disable call forwarding TO YOUR VOICE MAILBOX before you leave the UK!

Old
  (#12)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-03-2010, 09:39

Alternatively you could record a mailbox announcement, in which you tell callers your temporary German number, and set an unconditional forwarding to your mailbox. I often do that when travelling, as it not only avoids roaming charges but it keeps away less urgent calls.

Regarding Fonic, they also have a referral program, through which you and another existing Fonic customer could get € 5 bonus credit, if you provide the existing Fonic customer's number during activation. E.g. VladS has a Fonic number, for which you could ask him.

You will find detailied information on availability, activation and recharging of Fonic at http://prepaid-wireless-internet-acc...ermany+-+Fonic

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#13)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 10-03-2010, 11:12

International (and national) SMS prices in Germany are extremely high and now, after the EU regulation, they look even more ridiculously high. There's no reason to pay 29c/SMS when you can use your UK mobile while in Germany and pay almost three times less (11p/SMS). And of course, it is much more convenient to use your UK number.

Considering calls, and since you are a Vodafone customer, you can also opt in to Vodafone Passport. For making calls there is a 75p connection charge plus your UK rate (you can your inclusive minutes as well). For receiving calls, again there is a 75p connection charge but you don't pay anything up to 60 minutes per call. If the average duration of your calls is more than 2-3 minutes and if you call more mobile than landlines, Vodafone Passport could be much cheaper than any other option.

Re German prepaid cards, Solomo Pro is the cheapest (specially for texting abroad) but it has some disadvantages for people that just visiting Germany (e.g. online-only availability, recharging etc). For a short stay in Germany, I would suggest the Fonic card, which has almost the same prices and additional advantages such as:

- You can buy it many shops across Germany.
- Easy recharge with a scratch card again available in many locations.
- The SIM card costs 9.95 Euro and includes a credit of 111 mins for calls within Germany and to international landline numbers.
- The network is provided by O2 which is much better than the congested E-plus network.

Old
  (#14)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-03-2010, 12:17

Top up vouchers for Fonic are not as easy to get as for other German providers (see Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access for an overview of retailers). Against that background I would regard recharging by credit card as much more comfortable.
If you compare Fonic's 60/60-billing to solomo's 60/1 billing, Fonic is significantly more expensive. An average mobile call in Western Europe takes 1.5-1.9 minutes. So based on this fact Fonic is 5-33% more expensive than solomo. I think this discrepancy should justify solomo's price premium of € 5 for the SIM card.
Regarding network congestion, the eplus network, which solomo uses, is really problematic, but usually that's only reflected in low data rates, while SMS and phone calls are not an issue.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#15)
Evan (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-03-2010, 10:43

Recharging by credit card is certainly more comfortable, as long as you've got easy and/or cheap internet access. And most people who visit another country for a short stay, don't have that.

Regarding Fonic, their top up vouchers aren't that ubiquitous as before (when you could also top up with O2 vouchers) but I wouldn't say that "they are not as easy to get". For most locations across Germany, it's rather rare not to find a gas station or a kiosk or a convenience store that doesn't offer Fonic top-up vouchers (judging from their online location finder anyway).

Also, the average duration of outgoing mobile calls could be 1.5-1.9 minutes, however the majority of the mobile calls is less than one minute. And the duration of the majority of the phone calls is the most important issue, for the telcos at least. That's why, Solomo and many other operators (not in Germany of course) that charge in seconds, always have a 60 or 30, 45-second minimum call charge.

Old
  (#16)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-03-2010, 15:59

solomo has an automatic recharge option (minimum amount is €10) and alternatively you can access solomo's website from your handset, if it's internet capable. Another idea would be showing a friend at home how to recharge online and ask him to do it if credit runs out.

You are right, that a lot of calls are shorter than 60s. So practically solomo is only cheaper if calls last longer than 60 secs and it might take some calls to amortize those € 5 from the more expensive solomo SIM.

Old
  (#17)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Valid Period - 20-03-2010, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Top up vouchers for Fonic are not as easy to get as for other German providers (see Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access for an overview of retailers). Against that background I would regard recharging by credit card as much more comfortable.
If you compare Fonic's 60/60-billing to solomo's 60/1 billing, Fonic is significantly more expensive. An average mobile call in Western Europe takes 1.5-1.9 minutes. So based on this fact Fonic is 5-33% more expensive than solomo. I think this discrepancy should justify solomo's price premium of € 5 for the SIM card.
Regarding network congestion, the eplus network, which solomo uses, is really problematic, but usually that's only reflected in low data rates, while SMS and phone calls are not an issue.
Okay, I got the FONIC card as it appeared to meet my needs in Germany. Can you or anyone help me to understand when the time on the card expires?

The FONIC activation is changed slightly from your web posting (Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access). Didn't have to give my passport or any other identification. Also I'm still trying to figure out how to top up online! At any rate, thanks for the info!

** UM and UM+ Card (Dead)**
** TravelSim (so far, primary) **
** TIM (new, just trying it out) **
** Verizon (when I'm not traveling) **

Sony Ericsson k3001 for my sim cards, LG enV3

Old
  (#18)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-03-2010, 10:06

Fonic SIM cards never expire. Officially, however, your credit will be blocked 6 months after the last recharge. If that happened, you can still receive calls for another 6 months, but you can't call out due to the lack of credit. But then you can still release the blocked credit or re-activate the SIM (if 12 months have passed) by adding additional credit.

I think validity is shown somewhere on their website, but you can also try entering *102# [pick up] on your phone, which at least will display validity for other O2-based SIM cards.

Online top ups require a German bank account. You will need to buy top up vouchers from local retailers (see Germany - Fonic - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access for a list).

Last edited by inquisitor; 20-03-2010 at 10:58..

Old
  (#19)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 20-03-2010, 11:58

Super, thanks much!

** UM and UM+ Card (Dead)**
** TravelSim (so far, primary) **
** TIM (new, just trying it out) **
** Verizon (when I'm not traveling) **

Sony Ericsson k3001 for my sim cards, LG enV3

Old
  (#20)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-04-2010, 15:54

Solomo SIMs can now be recharged with "viload" vouchers sold at more than 20'000 points of sale throughout Germany including most gasstations. Vouchers are available with an amount of € 15 and € 25.
Point of sale can be found at 20.000 e-va Terminals gibt es in Deutschland, und eins davon in Ihrer Nhe.
You need to ask explicitly for "viload" vouchers. To redeem vouchers enter *101*voucher code# [SEND].