PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default How to enter USSD comands in Sierra Watcher ? - 22-02-2011, 22:59

I prefer to use the Sierra Compass 888 usb stick with my Tschibo sim card. It works perfectly (noticebly better then the Huawei stick). The only problem I have is to check or to top up my credit, to activate the data option, etc. Not everything can be done by SMS and I don't know how to enter USSD comands in Sierra Watcher. I have googled this question and found the answer, but it it is somewhat incomplete:
"1. From the main Watcher window, open the User Options window.
2. Under Startup, select the Enable keyboard input field and from the drop‐down list, select Yes.
3. Use your computer keyboard to enter the command"
I can't find WHERE to enter the command. My workaround is to remove the sim from Sierra, to put it into Huawei, to run Mobile Partner and to enter the required USSD comands there. Isn't it too tiresome ? Pls, help, if anybody knows. Inquisitor, you know everything !

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 23-02-2011, 12:53

Unforunately I've bricked my former laptop, which had an integrated Sierra Wireless datacard, so I can't check if you can enter USSD-commands through Sierra's Watcher. But you can definitely enter USSD codes with a small third-party tool called MDMA, which you can download from MDMA - a Mobile Data Monitoring Application
Just make sure Sierra Watcher has been completely shut down before you run MDMA, as the datacard can only be accessed by one application at once.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 23-02-2011, 20:31

Of course, I tried MDMA first (I am your old customer0), but it simply did not work. I was sending USSD and received nothing in return. But now (after reading your reply) I tried it again even with running Watcher (forgot to shut down) and it works again, although only partly. For some reason it does not accept *104# (Dienst nicht verfugbar (E1043)
The rest of the commands it does accept.
At least I can check my balance.
Thanks a lot.

Old
  (#4)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-02-2011, 01:54

The reply "Dienst nicht verfügbar" comes from the network (which is also indicated by the messaging being German). MDMA and respectively your data card correctly transmit the code to the network, but the corresponding server on the network is obviously down.
Btw Lidl mobile now offers a monthly flatrate (throttled after 5GB) on the O2 network for € 15/month - it's absolutely the same service as Tchibo offer, but cheaper. The only disadvantage of Lidl mobile is, that you can only top up with top up vouchers from Lidl supermarkets and not with regular O2 top up vouchers.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#5)
mgol (Offline)
Official Member

Default 24-02-2011, 10:28

Good to know! Right now I'm looking for an alternative to Tchibo for my next visit and the Lidl option defenitely sounds very attaractive. I don't care about that small disatvantage. After all, it's just one time inconvenience. What worries me much more is the activation problem. Let me explain in details. I came here for one week and since this time I am mostly in the Wlan environment, I decided to go for the TAGFLAT option. It worked perfect, when I succeeded to activate this option. Unfortunately, this was not the case not only with MDMA (as I have already wrote you), but also some times with Mobile Partner as well. By the way, I found the problem with MDMA. Contrary to what we thought, I MUST initialize Sierra Watcher in order MDMA becomes active. Anyway, now I am in the position that both MDMA and Mobile Partner are working, so I can use only my Sierra stick. But the bloody problem with *104# exists with both MDMA and MP. It gets me crazy. This morning I couldnot activate TAGFLAT because I permanently received the message: Ein technischer Fehler ist aufgetreten. Bitte probieren Sie es sp{ter noch einmal. I have had this problem in my last vist in Germany several months ago. I have no idea, why it happens. Right now, I tried again and it worked (after several hours). This is rather disturbing as I never know will I be connected next day or not. I'm ready to pay a few cents more, but for a more reliable service. Could it be the problem with O2 or it is Tchibo respobsible for the activation via USSD. And the last. SMS perfectly works with boyh MP and Watcher, but ...!!! Sending SMS to 7777 reminds me throwing something to a black hole. No response at all. USSD responds immediately (when it works). So, please advise me about a reasonably priced flatrate plan (daily or monthly),with any carrier (allowing VoIP) without the above stupid communication problem. Oh yeah, no telephone activation please. Thank you so much !