PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
kupe (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Chile Prepaid Advice? - 04-01-2007, 19:01

Hey gang-

We will be visiting Chile and Argentina later this year and I'm looking for advice on a prepaid SIM for Chile. I already have Argentina covered with my United Mobile SIM. Unfortunately, UM appears to have no roaming in Chile.

I see that O9 mobile claims to have service in Chile, so I suppose that is one option. But I've read of so many glitches with O9 that I'm not super excited about that, though I like that they have free incoming to Chile.

UM's rate in Argentina is much cheaper than O9 both for incoming and outgoing, but again, no coverage in Chile.

Any advice appreciated!

Kupe

Old
  (#2)
kupe (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 04-01-2007, 22:18

Okay- this is interesting. Officially United Mobile claims no service in Chile. But I was just browsing the gsmworld.com website and was looking at their list of world GSM network roaming agreements. On the page for Chile, there appears to be an agreement with Mobilkom of Liechenstein (FL1), which while I'm not sure, I am quite certain that is UM's network. I'm looking at
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsmi...em.shtml#SectL

Might UM actually work in Chile?

Kupe

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 05-01-2007, 07:47

Taking a loon HERE it seems FL1 does not roam in Chile... maybe the agreement is on 1 direction only, i.e. Chilean customers can roam in Liechtenstein, but not the opposite...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
kupe (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-01-2007, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
Taking a loon HERE it seems FL1 does not roam in Chile... maybe the agreement is on 1 direction only, i.e. Chilean customers can roam in Liechtenstein, but not the opposite...
Rats- I fear you may be right. But even stranger, I then looked at the FL1 page on gsmworld.com. While it shows no roaming in Chile, it ALSO shows no roaming in Argentina, which we know is not correct. See
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/roa_limk.shtml

Kupe