PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
suzyandal (Offline)

Default Which Italy Sim card ?? - 27-08-2013, 14:08

Hello, I'm sure my question has been asked before but I cant seem to find exactly what I need. I will be in Rome for 3 weeks in October. I have an unlocked Iphone 4s. I would like the following options with a plan.

1- receive incoming calls and texts for free, both from Canada and Italy

2- be able to call and text Canada and Italy (not a lot of outgoing calls, mostly incoming)

3- maybe 1gb of data ?

4 - How much will what I'm looking for cost ?

I would like to stay with TIM as a provider but am open to suggestions , Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 03-09-2013, 14:54

Sorry for my late reply, but I'm very busy at work lately.

With all European sim-cards incoming texts are always free, also while roaming abroad. Incoming calls are always free as well, but not if you roam abroad (no problem if you stay in Italy).

You can call and text Canada with any prepaid sim-card, by the way rates can be quite high and texts not so reliable. The cheapest for sending SMS is Wind since it's the only operator which has the same rates for texts sent to Italian and foreign numbers (including Canada of course). With TIM you pay more (30c per message if I remember well).
1GB of data is not a problem, both TIM and Wind have an option for this.

So with TIM you can activate the "TIM International New" options, paying 5€, and then you can call Canada at € 0.20/min plus a set-up fee of € 0.16 for every call (only if someone answers to it). Normal rates (without this option) are € 0.52/min plus the set-up fee. SMS cost 30.25c€ per message.
For data you can activate the TIMxSMARTPHONE MESE at € 10.00 and you get 1GB to be used on your iPhone (no tethering).

With Wind the offers are rather similar.
"Call your country" option is free to activate for new customers (as you) and you can call Canada at € 0.20/min plus € 0.16 set-up fee. Texts, if you have the Super Senza Scatto tariff (which I suggest), cost just € 0.12, including Canada.
For data you can activate Internet No Stop at € 9.00 including 1GB (including tethering).

So Wind is basically a bit cheaper.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-09-2013, 15:42

Since you plan to be in Rome and your phone is quad-band GSM with UMTS-2100 (I think) you should be able to get good service from any of the Italian networks or MVNOs. Since Italy is a Calling Party Pays (CPP) country, all have free incoming texts and calls. The only real thing you need to sort out is which offers you the best rates for calls and data.