PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 18:47

First I though: wow this is interesting!!

But as I think of it, the efficient solution for data roaming little amounts of data is probably still E-Plus + abroadband for most users.

Why?

The "Europe" which is included in this consists pretty much only of the European Union. Remember that the EU is forcing providers to cap their rates as of July, and German MedionMobile already charges only 50 cents per MB within the EU, making 39 cents not so special any more... Especially when you consider the 60MB package for 4,99 which enables data roaming in the EU for just 12 cents per megabyte. So in fact the only place where roamline gives you profit over a E-Plus + abroadband construction is Switzerland+US+Canada. Three countries which are easy to solve with local prepaids.
At the same time roamline charges you more for all non-EU European countries .

It may however be a good deal for tiny amounts of data (under 128kB) for some hardware devices as already mentioned because of their rounding per 1kB.

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Last edited by kuba.g; 13-06-2012 at 18:52..

Old
  (#12)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 19:41

Kuba.g you forget the most important: that roamline rate of 0.89/mb covers 85 non-European countries!
most of these important countries are top leisure+business destinations such as Japan, Brazil, Argentina, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Indonesia etc which aren't covered by abroadband!
have a look and compare:

https://www.roamline.com/countries-1
http://www.abroadband.com/en/GR/countries

another also important parameter, because roamline uses KPN roaming agreements, their simcard can be used with all local networks in each country, so there is wider signal coverage!
abroadband just uses 1network per country, mainly of Vodafone group.

concerning the 0.39/mb rate within Europe, the rate is excellent, especially for higher daily or weekly data amounts over 60mb!
for Canada, United States and Switzerland the rate of 0,39eur./mb is just the best current choise in the market.

i have also been informed from roamline customer service that as of next month, they will also introduce data bundles for higher data usage within European Union, where the price per mb will be below 0.20eur per mb.

Last edited by fsotirop; 13-06-2012 at 20:34..

Old
  (#13)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 20:26

Ah yes, you're right. I never really looked deeply into what non-European countries abroadband covers as I never go there, I thought there were more. So for these non-European countries you mentioned it indeed looks like a very good deal!

I really don't agree though that the rate within Europe is especially good for large daily/weekly amounts, then it's better to get a few 60MB packages from Medion

A bundle for higher usage within Europe with better rates than Medion would be amazing though! I'm looking forward to it.

INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Old
  (#14)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
Ah yes, you're right. I never really looked deeply into what non-European countries abroadband covers as I never go there, I thought there were more. So for these non-European countries you mentioned it indeed looks like a very good deal!

I really don't agree though that the rate within Europe is especially good for large daily/weekly amounts, then it's better to get a few 60MB packages from Medion

A bundle for higher usage within Europe with better rates than Medion would be amazing though! I'm looking forward to it.
Medion only allows the 60MB package to be activated only one time per week! so if you run out of mb.. you have to pay the 0.49eur./mb for europe.
so you have only 60mb per week.
if you have a smartphone or laptop, 60mb per week is almost nothing! very little.. especially for usage for a week time.
also, medion charges per 10kb increments, roamline by 1kb.

Last edited by fsotirop; 13-06-2012 at 20:58..

Old
  (#15)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 13-06-2012, 20:33

One thing I would like to know has to do with taxes. They quote 19.95€ as the delivery & activation fee but then add about 3.50€ in "taxes". I wonder if their per MB rate also has high added taxes?

Old
  (#16)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
One thing I would like to know has to do with taxes. They quote 19.95€ as the delivery & activation fee but then add about 3.50€ in "taxes". I wonder if their per MB rate also has high added taxes?
if you are in the States no vat or any taxes applicable.
19.95€ include the simcard and delivery.
abroadband costs 29.90€ for simcard and delivery.

Last edited by fsotirop; 13-06-2012 at 20:52..

Old
  (#17)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 20:42

True. That makes roamline a cheaper choice when you use more than ~185MB per week.

Also, I could say - get a few MedionMobile sim cards but at a certain point you have to count in user friendlyness as well

Old
  (#18)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-06-2012, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
True. That makes roamline a cheaper choice when you use more than ~185MB per week.

Also, I could say - get a few MedionMobile sim cards but at a certain point you have to count in user friendlyness as well
exactly!
and even 185mb for a whole week is very little if you use a smartphone or laptop!

Last edited by fsotirop; 13-06-2012 at 21:12..

Old
  (#19)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 13-06-2012, 22:40

I am grandfathered on ATT's global roaming plan for iPhones and I have unlimited worldwide including cruise ships. The problem is that I get GPRS style speeds. It is good enough to get your email or possibly push out a text message using a virtual SMS serviced, but it is not even EDGE style speeds. I haven't tried cruise ships yet. I can tell you that last year I was in Mr. Newcomb's part of the world and I even had included data on the carrier which covered the Gulf of Mexico (catering mostly to drilling rigs).

Additionally, iPhonetrip.com offers unlimited data on these services.

Old
  (#20)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 14-06-2012, 09:02

Ordered one yesterday.