PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Anthony (Offline)

Default Activate Three UK PAYG SIM From Overseas - 18-01-2011, 07:42

Hello

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to active a Three UK PAYG SIM from overseas or does the SIM initially need to connect to the home network? My Mother has purchased a Three UK PAYG SIM from an eBay seller for her upcoming visit to the UK and was hoping I would be able to activate and configure the SIM for her before she leaves.

Thank you.

Old
  (#2)
Malkav (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-01-2011, 18:02

afik yes she does need to be in the UK for a payg sim to activate...though I could be wrong...

Current networks: Orange 3g UK, 3 pay monthly, Virgin pay as you go UK, 3UK payg, Tesco payg, Asda mobile

Active phones: Blackberry Torch (02), Google Nexus one (Vodafone)
Inactive Sims: Oskar Czech R, BT Genie Pay as you go UK.

Spare (unused phones)
NEC 616, Ericsson t68/i, Nokia 3310, Sendo m550, Mototorola v66i, Motorola a1000.lg u880, Sony Ericsson t230. Orange spv m5000, Samsung z400, Motorola SLVR (Red)!, lobster tv700, spv m700, prada phone, motorola l7e, Skype phone, siemens sl65, blackberry 8810, Nokia 6500 slide X2.

Old
  (#3)
Anthony (Offline)

Default 18-01-2011, 22:59

The SIM arrived in the mail today.

I can confirm that activation from overseas is possible.

Old
  (#4)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-01-2012, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The SIM arrived in the mail today.

I can confirm that activation from overseas is possible.
Hi,

May I know how to activate the 3 SIM from overseas?

I plan to visit UK, and will buy a Pay As You Go mobile broadband 1G SIM. But I don't know how to activate it.

Many thanks

Old
  (#5)
Anthony (Offline)

Default 15-01-2012, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
Hi,

May I know how to activate the 3 SIM from overseas?

I plan to visit UK, and will buy a Pay As You Go mobile broadband 1G SIM. But I don't know how to activate it.

Many thanks
It was a long time ago that I did this so I can't remember clearly.

Unless things have changed I think the activation process will work as long as your UK PAYG carrier has a roaming agreement with a carrier in your home country. From memory I think I put the UK SIM in my phone whilst in Australia and ensured I had carrier signal. I then activated the SIM online.

Old
  (#6)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-01-2012, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It was a long time ago that I did this so I can't remember clearly.

Unless things have changed I think the activation process will work as long as your UK PAYG carrier has a roaming agreement with a carrier in your home country. From memory I think I put the UK SIM in my phone whilst in Australia and ensured I had carrier signal. I then activated the SIM online.
Thanks for you reply.

May I know how to activate the SIM online? Need to send activation code? Or just dial a specific number and receive a confirmation SMS? thanks again

Old
  (#7)
Anthony (Offline)

Default 15-01-2012, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimdo View Post
Thanks for you reply.

May I know how to activate the SIM online? Need to send activation code? Or just dial a specific number and receive a confirmation SMS? thanks again
I suggest visiting the UK PAYG carriers' website where you will no doubt find instructions to activate a PAYG SIM.

Old
  (#8)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-01-2012, 19:06

I think it will just work, without any specific activation needed.

I got a 3 zero-rental contract SIM a few months ago, and it just worked when put in a phone, as did the previous contract one and a prepaid one

Most UK SIMs are like that, though for Orange you need to phone up, and for giffgaff activate online using a code printed on the SIM

In fact I'd suggest if it's a 3 SIM intended as a data SIM in a dongle, and comes with with an already prepaid bundle of data for a month, these say the time starts automatically from the first use, so I think I'd avoid using it abroad before arrival.

On the other hand, with others you add a bundle when you want, and to do this online it would be done by starting an account on the website. The 3 mobile website is free to browse from the phone, and you can do it all on there if you want. However, the only time I've added a data bundle (to a different SIM) I did it by calling them.

There is something I remember about adding payment card though on the website, I think it needs doing a few days on advance, but I believe they may not accept foreign debit and credit cards, so you'd probably just use a voucher from a shop.

Old
  (#9)
kimdo (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 16-01-2012, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I think it will just work, without any specific activation needed.

I got a 3 zero-rental contract SIM a few months ago, and it just worked when put in a phone, as did the previous contract one and a prepaid one

Most UK SIMs are like that, though for Orange you need to phone up, and for giffgaff activate online using a code printed on the SIM

In fact I'd suggest if it's a 3 SIM intended as a data SIM in a dongle, and comes with with an already prepaid bundle of data for a month, these say the time starts automatically from the first use, so I think I'd avoid using it abroad before arrival.

On the other hand, with others you add a bundle when you want, and to do this online it would be done by starting an account on the website. The 3 mobile website is free to browse from the phone, and you can do it all on there if you want. However, the only time I've added a data bundle (to a different SIM) I did it by calling them.

There is something I remember about adding payment card though on the website, I think it needs doing a few days on advance, but I believe they may not accept foreign debit and credit cards, so you'd probably just use a voucher from a shop.
Hi Andy,
Thanks for for information.
I will ask for help fom my friend, who will travel UK in Easter. He will bought me a 3 Mobile Broadband 3G SIM (1 month). I have sent email to three.co.uk for query, still waiting for their reply.

Old
  (#10)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-08-2013, 19:27

Do 3 UK allow top-ups with foreign credit-cards? I was thinking to move my O2 number to 3... the Text&Web tariff is almost old and useless