PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Vyke credit purchasing issue - 20-06-2007, 05:37

Hello, folks,

I'd like to try Vyke.com's product for my upcoming trip next month and I have signed up an account.
However, I just cannot purchase their "credit" using my credit card(s).
Whenever I try to "confirm" my order, webpage gives me a message, saying "your credit card was denied".
Actually, I just used 2 out of 3 credit cards for other foreign transactions on the same day and all of these transactions (except Vyke) were successful without any trouble.
Per their webpage, they use "3D secure system" for the transaction and I have to use a credit card compatible to this system.
None of my cards seem to be "compatible", I guess. BTW, all of my cards are issued in the US.
Is this a well-known issue?
It sounds a bit weird to me, particularly given the fact that their webpage shows transaction in US dollar!
I sent an e-mail for request/complaint to their customer service, but so far no reply is made.

Too bad for such inconvenience. I will probably use voipcheap's SMS callback, as an alternative.

Do you have any suggestions for SMS-based callback other than Vyke?
I was particularly interested in the Vyke's option of "using SMS to designate recipient's phone number"
- ie, using SMS to trigger call-back, but actual call will be received by fixed landline, for example.

I think that having that option might be a good backup in case no internet connection is available during the trip (but I could still use my cellphone to send SMS).

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring

Old
  (#2)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-06-2007, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazcedric View Post
However, I just cannot purchase their "credit" using my credit card(s).
Whenever I try to "confirm" my order, webpage gives me a message, saying "your credit card was denied".
Actually, I just used 2 out of 3 credit cards for other foreign transactions on the same day and all of these transactions (except Vyke) were successful without any trouble.
Per their webpage, they use "3D secure system" for the transaction and I have to use a credit card compatible to this system.
I tried the same on Vyke with a couple of US cards a few months bank, same for me, same messages, no way to add credit. I checked and both the banks I used participate in that security system (it's the same as "verified by visa" and the mc equivalent). So their system appears to just reject US cards with that spurious message.

I also emailed their support and got no reply at all, which convinced me not to bother trying further (since there is no support). They seem to have copied their customer service levels from Skype.

It's possible they simply refuse to deal with US customers. Although there is nothing on their website to say this, it's the same at voipfone.co.uk - they reject all US cards witha similar meaningless message - at least with Voipfone when I asked support they did confirm that they refuse ALL US cards because "80% are fraudulent".

Old
  (#3)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default I have got reply from Vyke - 20-06-2007, 13:46

Below is a reply from Vyke customer service that I received today...
It sounds like customers who hold American credit cards have to wait for some time.
Does anyone know whether there are other companies that provide SMS-triggered call-back service (ideally I can designate the recipient number such as landline)?
I would appreciate actual users' comments (such as reliability, call-quality, etc).
I usually use software-based voip (with laptop) during the trip if I have a broad-band internet connection (such as hotel room, etc); so I am not so interested in call-back system using internet as a trigger.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We regret that we currently do not support paid services for users purchasing via American issued credit cards. This is due to the high level of fraud associated with American credit cards.

While we understand that this prevents honest customers from purchasing our services, this decision has been made to protect the holders of cards that have been stolen, copied or otherwise compromised. As you may be aware from recent media coverage, this is a growing issue and, unfortunately, it appears that American consumers seem to be the primary targets of organized financial fraud.

We are working on additional security measures as well as alternate payment methods (Payex / Paypal) to allow Vyke to resume services to America based individuals.

Thank you for your understanding during this temporary closure. We will notify you as soon as we are able process payment from American-based customers.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vyke Support Team

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-06-2007, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazcedric View Post
Thank you for your understanding during this temporary closure. We will notify you as soon as we are able process payment from American-based customers.
At least you got a response. I wish these companies that decide to blacklist certain dodgy countries (for example, the US!) would at least use meaningful error messages to save annoying potential real customers. Better still, state up-front the markets they serve or don't serve (I could have then used a card from a different country).

I'd assume it's a permanent thing, since it's been like this since about March/April, maybe earlier. Certainly voipfone have made clear they have no intention to ever change their policy.

I wonder who's next to avoid doing business with those "crooks" in America - maybe Paypal and Ebay will withdraw from that unimportant little country, where credit cards are "mostly fraudulent"?

Old
  (#5)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default credit card - 20-06-2007, 20:09

Hi, RTuesday.

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding this issue.
This is just another example that some crooks destroy the benefit.
I agree with you that the company should clearly state the policy in the home page so that customers like me will not even bother to sign up an account.
It is such an easy thing to do (instead of answering e-mails from customers like me individually)...
I also think that American credit card companies have not yet succeeded in preventing fraud well.
This is maybe because too many transactions are done by credit cards and these companies easily issue credit cards without appropriate verification of applicants.

This is completely off-topic, but I have received so many "invitation for new credit card" letters directed to our 3 yr old child (3-4 letters in a week!).
What a waste of paper and mailing cost!
Due to the reasons listed below, the first thing I have to do when I come home is to tear all these junk mails into pieces.
My wife experienced fraud related to credit card at least twice.
The first case was that someone stole these "invitation letters" from the mailbox in her apartment and signed up a credit card using her name;
the second case was that someone stole the number of her credit card and made transactions.

Yazcedric

Old
  (#6)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 21-06-2007, 06:37

I have similar problems with US companies that do not accept credit cards issued outside the US. The solution in both cases is to accept the use of services like paypal.

Old
  (#7)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-06-2007, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
I have similar problems with US companies that do not accept credit cards issued outside the US. The solution in both cases is to accept the use of services like paypal.
I don't really have a problem with companies that only accept US (or non-US) cards, since I have cards from the US and UK. What is annoying and timewasting for all concerned is when they don't mention anywhere this is the case, and just use meaningless generic error messages, as in the case with both Vyke and Voipfone.co.uk. Neither states what they accept or don't accept (and neither takes Paypal).

Old
  (#8)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-06-2007, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
Well, not accepting paypal is a matter of cost. The fees from paypal are a ripoff...

Christian

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9