PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
peterh337

Default Creating an identical backup of a Nokia 700 - 17-03-2012, 08:18

I am trying to set up a second phone, identically configured (Nokia 700).

The backup won't have a SIM card in it. But if I lose the main phone, I can get a replacement SIM easily enough (Voda contract).

Obviously the best way would be to jailbreak it but there seem to be various issues with that... Belle is fairly recent and not many people are doing it. Also I am expecting some firmware updates (as it is a new phone) and these will wipe out the jailbreak. The jailbreaks involve using demo versions of antivirus software (I know why - only AV developers get the Nokia certificates to access the entire file structure) and AV software is the last thing you want on a device whose CPU power is already limited.

I am trying to extract a reply from Nokia, but with difficulty due to language issues. I have established that one needs to re-download the apps (which involves putting the original SIM into the 2nd phone, because the download works only to the same phone #) but it's not clear whether one should restore the config before or after installing the apps.

I have not been able to find out whether Nokia Suite backs up app configs. I am pretty sure it does not back up / restore any apps, which is a great pity.

None of my apps are IMEI-locked, BTW.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Old
  (#2)
peterh337

Default 22-03-2012, 09:59

No replies. Maybe this is a dead forum.

Anyway, in case anybody is interested, this is what I did:

1) Bought the 2nd phone

2) Made sure it had the latest firmware (same as the 1st one)

3) Put in a microSD card into the 2nd one, same as the 1st one has (drive F: )

4) Using Nokia Suite, I did a backup of the whole of the 1st one and restored it into the 2nd one

5) I re-installed the few apps I bought. This involves moving the old SIM temporarily into the 2nd phone, because Nokia changed their shop to not allow downloads anymore; instead they send you a SMS with the download URL. There is supposed to be a way to re-download paid-for apps if you move the SIM as described, without paying for them again, which would be only fair, but it didn't seem to work and I bought a couple of little ones again (life is too short). For a few apps I had the .sis file which makes it trivial, of course, but that is rare nowadays.

Most of the config did restore correctly, including apparently config of **Nokia** apps (which was expected), but also suprisingly the config of most of the non-Nokia apps which were installed *after* the restore also came up as before. I guess the restore must have restored some workspace areas in which these apps were storing their config, so that when they were installed they picked up their old config.

Curiously the "home screen" configs (wallpaper settings) did not get restored, but they are just trivia.

I did not retest whether Nokia suite has recently fixed the well known bug in that custom labels in the contacts book (e.g. renaming somebody's "Mobile" number label to "Vodafone") did not get backed up / restored.

Nokia offer support over email, which appears good, but in reality it is done by people with little knowledge of phones and very poor English, who seem to be dropping in standard phrases from a script and do not understand questions asked even if they are presented several times, carefully re-worded. They also have no apparent access to better support. For example they claim that deleting an email also deletes it from the (POP) server; I have just proved yet again this is false (unless it is highly context sensitive). I am after deleting emails from the server - like every previous Nokia phone I had was capable of. It now appears that the server-delete feature works only if your email comes via the Nokia Messaging service which is some kind of "email push" service.