PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Naked VoIP over UMTS - 04-12-2008, 08:17

Cheaper "VoIP over UMTS" calls are now possible in Germany.

Last month several companies introduced cheap data plans in Germany. There are a few "1 GB data plans" for about 10 euros per month. Solomo even has a "1 MB data transfer for 1 cent" promotion until the end of the year.

Naked G.729 calls lasting up to two minutes are possible with solomo. The first one or two seconds of the call may be a bit choppy, but afterwards the call is "solid" until the mobile carrier disconnects the call after about two minutes.

I know that lots of people are using Tring/Truphone/etc to make Voip calls with mobile phones. Does anyone have any experience of using "Voip over UMTS" with a laptop? What programs are they using? Has anyone tried "Voip over http"?

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-12-2008, 20:51

I have tried and my results have been inconsistent. Fring works best; followed by Truphone. Some times the calls are perfect, but often there are problems. I tried it over an HSPA connection last week a Sierra 881 USB modem connected to a Cradlepoint Cellular router with a Tmobile UMA (unlicensed mobile access) phone and the caller (my mother in law used to my screwy calls) complained. I tried a similar connection in the US (same equipment, different carrier, similar specs on paper HSPA 7.0 mps connection) and the callers were perfect.

I've done Fring over EDGE and had ok connections. Latency and echos are the number one complaint.

Old
  (#3)
LBarouf (Offline)
Official Member

Default 17-05-2009, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have tried and my results have been inconsistent. Fring works best; followed by Truphone. Some times the calls are perfect, but often there are problems. I tried it over an HSPA connection last week a Sierra 881 USB modem connected to a Cradlepoint Cellular router with a Tmobile UMA (unlicensed mobile access) phone and the caller (my mother in law used to my screwy calls) complained. I tried a similar connection in the US (same equipment, different carrier, similar specs on paper HSPA 7.0 mps connection) and the callers were perfect.

I've done Fring over EDGE and had ok connections. Latency and echos are the number one complaint.
You're doing a UMA call while in Dubai? I though TMo's service was for continental USA only, as soon as it would register with the VPLMN's VLR, TMo's HLR would refuse the UMA traffic until you re-register in the USA. Oh wait, I see, UMA device is attached in Wi-Fi only, radio is off, no attach outside USA yet (since you probably turned off the radio before leaving USA) and the cradlepoint has a cellular data connection (local prepaid, local postpaid or international roaming?) to carry the UMA traffic. Humm, I like this idea. Great if you have a good data plan in that location. Is it AT&T's 881U? I have the same card on my CTR500. I should look into T-Mo UMA and BBs. If only the damn BBs could get their emails with the radio at off, they don't seem to be able to get them with only Wi-FI, need to have the providers gouge us!

Old
  (#4)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 17-05-2009, 17:39

You don't have to hide the fact that you are outside the US with TMobile. They don't officially support foreign usage (911 issues, etc), but they don't take any steps to stop it and tell you that you are on your own.

I turned off international roaming on the phone. My wife's TMobile's Blackberry' work fine for data over wifi unlike my Bold.

Old
  (#5)
LBarouf (Offline)
Official Member

Default 17-05-2009, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
You don't have to hide the fact that you are outside the US with TMobile. They don't officially support foreign usage (911 issues, etc), but they don't take any steps to stop it and tell you that you are on your own.

I turned off international roaming on the phone. My wife's TMobile's Blackberry' work fine for data over wifi unlike my Bold.
Hummm interresting. My Bold was also forcing me to turn on the radio to get e-mails. What model does she have?

Thanks for sharing, that's an interesting scenario.

Also, what provider were you using for the data connection outside the US, in prepaid or postpaid?