PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
wcross (Offline)

Default UM ICQ SIM Problem Receiving Calls from a Telus Canada Landline and SMS from Rogers - 10-11-2008, 06:33

I have found that it is not possible to send an SMS text from Rogers (Canada) to United Mobile ICQ. Despite the claim on the Rogers website that they deliver to FL1 Mobilkom, Rogers customer service confirmed that they do not have an agreement to deliver SMS text to United Mobile. Does anyone know if it is possible to send an SMS text from Rogers to a United Mobile +44 phone?

Old
  (#2)
wcross (Offline)

Default United Mobile ICQ SIM Problem Receiving Calls from a Telus Canada Landline - 10-11-2008, 06:48

Telus Canada has confirmed that they have blocked voice call access to groups of Liechtenstein cell phone numbers, including United Mobile ICQ SIM due to “fraud” . However, I am still able to call my United Mobile ICQ SIM number using Rogers Wireless, a 7-11 phone card and a Telus alternative service provider (10-10-969). Does anyone know if it is possible to make a voice call from a Telus landline to a United Mobile +44 phone?

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-11-2008, 10:02

I merged the 2 discussions into 1, since it's all a Canadian issue.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-11-2008, 11:35

Are you concerned about one user or a group? Depending on the technology you can sometimes get a block lifted. For example, I've had the block lifted on forwarding to 800 numbers imposed by ATT.They did an override for me only.

I think one reason that UM moved away from the Lichtenstein series of numbers was the blocking issues that they were facing. Their UK rates aren't horribly different from other UK mobile ranges and I think the theory was that these wouldn't not attract the same negative attention from carriers.

Old
  (#5)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-11-2008, 12:36

A lot of carriers do not connect to the (Call or SMS) UM +4236 number including tmobile USA. And even those that connect, it's at a very high rate that it makes that sim almost unusable for incoming calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcross View Post
I have found that it is not possible to send an SMS text from Rogers (Canada) to United Mobile ICQ. Despite the claim on the Rogers website that they deliver to FL1 Mobilkom, Rogers customer service confirmed that they do not have an agreement to deliver SMS text to United Mobile. Does anyone know if it is possible to send an SMS text from Rogers to a United Mobile +44 phone?

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#6)
bylo (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-11-2008, 13:12

I had similar problems with calling/texting from Canada to UM +423 a couple of years ago. In my case, neither Bell, Bell Mobility nor Yak LD would let me make calls/texts consistently and reliably. About 90% of the time the call would fail. I then switched to UM +44 when that became available, however, that can also fail, although a lot less often. UM customer service has been totally useless in resolving any of this. When they did respond the mantra was "deny, deny, deny."

This is why I give people in Canada my Mobal number and e-mail "for emergency use only" when I'm travelling overseas. I use UM +44 only to make outgoing calls back home and/or to call within Europe. Unfortunately UM is simply not a reliable option. I guess you get what you pay for after all.

Phones: OnePlus 5 • Nexus 5
SIMs: CA Fido/Fongo • AT A1-B.free • Google Fi
R.I.P.: UM • UM+

Old
  (#7)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-11-2008, 15:08

I know I can text from UM +423 to Rogers. I'm not sure if I've tried the reverse.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#8)
wcross (Offline)

Default 22-11-2008, 00:32

While I am still able to call my United Mobile ICQ SIM number using Rogers Wireless and a 7-11 (Canadian) phone card, Telus alternative service provider (10-10-969) no longer works.

Old
  (#9)
LBarouf (Offline)
Official Member

Default 04-01-2009, 05:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcross View Post
I can confirm you that you can receive msg on a UM+ account (+44) from Rogers subscribers so far. Who knows when United Mobile will change this... I hate them now.

-Pissed off UM user.

Old
  (#10)
LBarouf (Offline)
Official Member

Default 04-01-2009, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
A lot of carriers do not connect to the (Call or SMS) UM +4236 number including tmobile USA. And even those that connect, it's at a very high rate that it makes that sim almost unusable for incoming calls.
The issue is more related to who do the carriers deliver the messages to. SS7 is used extensively, but solution providers such as mobile365 can offer very good IP alternative. The issue? You can only have one delivery method per country most of the time. So all +44 or +423 messages have to use that provider if you are the carrier. So, unless the inter-carrier service provider used has an agreement with FL1 or Jersey, tough luck.. it will never be reached. In other words, it depends on a few factors, and chances are unless the carrier makes the choice of switching service providers and making a new agreement, nothing can change.

What I still don't understand though, is why in hell, these morons didn't put a portal yet. A website section, to deliver the SMSs. They know if the subscriber registered or not, and to which carrier to send it to for delivery, just like any roaming scenario. Amateurs.... *pfff*

Tags
icq sim, um +423