PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-07-2012, 22:18

tru is crap a lot of times anyway. I am currently in Jamaica. They are charging for incoming calls that never reached me. And are charging $1.71, instead of the $0.50 listed on their website.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#12)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 19-07-2012, 16:01

new rate checker from Tru: Tru SIM pricing

Old
  (#13)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 19-07-2012, 16:58

Finally with rates in €

Old
  (#14)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 19-07-2012, 19:12

Tru has been good for me, as I travel a lot from US to UK. Has worked as a spare for family visiting in the US as well.
The new rates are clearer, at least. I did notice that calling from the US to European cells is really expensive, 40c/min, most discount services are 12-20c.

Tru has alienated me by reducing their roaming rates in Europe for Europeans, but not for anyone outside. Only company to discriminate that way. Then they ran a blog post touting their faith in free markets to bring down rates, when it's clear that only the new EU regulations forced them to. Chutzpah, we call it.

I've decided to try Piranha (see separate thread under international sim cards)

Old
  (#15)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 19-07-2012, 21:27

I agree. That makes no sense. To be able to pull that off, it means their billing system will have to factor in the address/location that the sim was purchased in. I suspect most people in the EU will just roam on their local sims anyway, unless tru's rates are much cheaper.

Edit: I just checked their rates in the UK for someone living in the US. It's quoted in US $ and is just about equivalent to the rates for someone living in the UK, which is quoted in pounds. So, for a US traveler using tru in the UK is not bad. However, it's more expensive in any other EU country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
Tru has alienated me by reducing their roaming rates in Europe for Europeans, but not for anyone outside. Only company to discriminate that way. Then they ran a blog post touting their faith in free markets to bring down rates, when it's clear that only the new EU regulations forced them to. Chutzpah, we call it.

Last edited by Bossman; 19-07-2012 at 21:41..

Old
  (#16)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-07-2012, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtheprof View Post
Tru has been good for me, as I travel a lot from US to UK. Has worked as a spare for family visiting in the US as well.
The new rates are clearer, at least. I did notice that calling from the US to European cells is really expensive, 40c/min, most discount services are 12-20c.

I've decided to try Piranha (see separate thread under international sim cards)
yes i agree, Piranha mobiles is much chepear than Tru and reliable.
they offer a true UK number too.

Last edited by fsotirop; 20-07-2012 at 17:49..

Old
  (#17)
squawk1200 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 22-07-2012, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
tru is crap a lot of times anyway. I am currently in Jamaica. They are charging for incoming calls that never reached me. And are charging $1.71, instead of the $0.50 listed on their website.
Bossman, did you ever get a resolution to this? About to head off to the UK and hoping I get billed for what is published on their website....

Old
  (#18)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 22-07-2012, 03:13

I did not bother to contact them. You'll probably be ok. They have since updated their rates page, which reflects what I was charged in Jamaica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk1200 View Post
Bossman, did you ever get a resolution to this? About to head off to the UK and hoping I get billed for what is published on their website....

Old
  (#19)
davidtheprof (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 22-07-2012, 03:21

same thing happened to me with Truphone in Mexico, was billed a higher rate for incoming, they did credit it back after a phone call,
But never any billing problems in Europe or the UK. Only issue for me is that when I call others in the UK, the US primary number shows, which can cost someone a lot of money if they call back on that.