PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#31)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 22-12-2009, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
I agree the wait and see approach is a good one. So far my Rogers accounts have gone down in price, so Wind being around is good. But there is still the learning curve here. People do not want to pay 130.00 for a locked handset that will only work on Wind. This is a sore point. Also people are saying they get the phone and wait for days for service to be started. It is brand new so there will be glitches BUT with all the time they had one would have thought they would have tested things a bit. Even my Wind sim from Greece will not roam on them.. it will roam with rogers only.. They have work to do for sure.. and now a union is looking to challenge them in court which will complicate things. Since there is no contract people will adopt the wait and see stance.. There was a bloke who said that his store had several line ups.. some to get the new phones others to return them.

It will be interesting thats for sure.
I asked them why my Wind Italy phone wasn't roaming on their network and they said they have no agreement with Wind Italy yet!
I still have no service but will give them till after christmas to get things right.

Old
  (#32)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-12-2009, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
I asked them why my Wind Italy phone wasn't roaming on their network and they said they have no agreement with Wind Italy yet!
I still have no service but will give them till after christmas to get things right.
Do any Wind Italy clients actually have a phone that supports UMTS 1700? Certainly none of the Wind-supplied phones in Italy will.

Until phones that have this band are more widespread, a roaming agreement isn't all that useful.

Now, Wind Canada roaming on Wind Italy would be very useful indeed.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#33)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 22-12-2009, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Do any Wind Italy clients actually have a phone that supports UMTS 1700? Certainly none of the Wind-supplied phones in Italy will.

Until phones that have this band are more widespread, a roaming agreement isn't all that useful.

Not that I know of yet. You can use your Wind Italy sim in an unlocked Wind Canada phone and vice versa as a Wind Canada phone won't work in Italy except as GSM, no 3g. Until they make 3g phones with all frequencies it will be a problem.

Old
  (#34)
adam917 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Question 23-12-2009, 01:17

Quote:

Don't most phones that come with UMTS 1700 also have 2100 for int'l roaming?

Old
  (#35)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-12-2009, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
And does Wind not have 2G coverage? If so a lack of UMTS 2100 wouldn't matter much.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#36)
rockjock (Offline)
Official Member

Default 23-12-2009, 04:33

BLC you could place your sim into a WInd canada phone I think, but they are locked and so far no one has reported on a method to unlock them...but I think you would be roaming on rogers the whole time. AFAIK here are 17 or so handsets only that will run off wind canada AWS1700, Time will tell if hey go any farther. It would seem my Wind.GR sim needs to be registered and it was not oh well..

it seems like WIND.GR and WIND.IT and WIND.CDN share only the name.. nothing else. Oh a funny note the training manuals they used were translated to english and made little sense as did the website prices were in British pounds.. this led more and more people to ask what is Canadian about this company.. handsets imported from overseas was another point brought up.

this is going to be interesting.. so far my plan has gone down in price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
Not that I know of yet. You can use your Wind Italy sim in an unlocked Wind Canada phone and vice versa as a Wind Canada phone won't work in Italy except as GSM, no 3g. Until they make 3g phones with all frequencies it will be a problem.

Old
  (#37)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2009, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Unfortunately no but I'am sure it will change in the future.

Old
  (#38)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2009, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
BLC you could place your sim into a WInd canada phone I think, but they are locked and so far no one has reported on a method to unlock them...but I think you would be roaming on rogers the whole time. AFAIK here are 17 or so handsets only that will run off wind canada AWS1700, Time will tell if hey go any farther. It would seem my Wind.GR sim needs to be registered and it was not oh well..

it seems like WIND.GR and WIND.IT and WIND.CDN share only the name.. nothing else. Oh a funny note the training manuals they used were translated to english and made little sense as did the website prices were in British pounds.. this led more and more people to ask what is Canadian about this company.. handsets imported from overseas was another point brought up.

this is going to be interesting.. so far my plan has gone down in price...
Wind Italy's roaming agreement is with Rogers right now and is some ridiculous rate (1.50 euro a minute I think). The sim would work in Wind Canada phones if they had an agreement.

Old
  (#39)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2009, 15:00

Quote:
And does Wind not have 2G coverage? If so a lack of UMTS 2100 wouldn't matter much.
Wind roams on Rogers in 2g at 25 cents a minute, no long distance charges so it may put Petro Canada mobility out of business as the rate is the same but much cheaper on long distance calls.

Old
  (#40)
BLC (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2009, 15:02

So far it is all academic as here in Calgary my Wind Mobile phone still dosen't work!