PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
JPR (Offline)

Default WorldSIM - not working in USA - 07-03-2012, 20:59

What a fantastic travel SIM (in theory). The ability to roam in the USA for free..... wonderful.

Sadly, it seems too good to be true. I bought my brand spanking new WorldSIM in preparation for a trip to the USA and using its "USA Profile" thought that calls could be received for no extra cost.

Only when I tried to register the SIM in the USA did I discover that no one could get through at all. Switching to "Global profile" meant that it worked perfectly but three calls cost me my entire balance (some £1 per minute). After having to top up again I had to email all my contacts to tell them NOT to call me on that number. How sad that it doesn't work as I feel that (according to UK consumer laws, I have been sold something not fit for purpose.

I would be willing to give Europe and other countries a try but the loss of my iunitial $15 credit leaves a bad taste. Anyway, just a work of warning to others thinking of buying one for the USA.

Old
  (#2)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2012, 22:08

so what was the problem with the "USA Profile"? no active roaming agreements with a local carrier?

*worldsim uses cloud9 service.

Last edited by fsotirop; 07-03-2012 at 22:16..

Old
  (#3)
JPR (Offline)

Default 07-03-2012, 22:31

Technically, I can't comment on the specific reason. They have roaming agreements with T-Mobile & AT&T (and the SIM does include a US cell number, which would have been good) but despite countless rebooting the SIM (trying 3 different handsets) and short codes, it just would not work in this mode.

Old
  (#4)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2012, 22:32

what did they said from cc?

Old
  (#5)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-03-2012, 22:48

Multi-IMSI SIM. One issue I have with TelnaMobile is that their SIM will often go for hours showing "No Access" even though there's a good T-Mobile signal. It may be something similar. The SIM may be confused about where it is.

Old
  (#6)
JPR (Offline)

Default 08-03-2012, 08:41

To be fair, they did ask to me to try dialling various short codes & took the serial number details but after 10 days in USA nothing happened although theoretically I was picking up strong network signals. They admitted there was a problem with their SIMs generally & then gave up.........I then came home.

Emails to WorldSIM were slow to be answered (up to a week) but their Live Chat was better, even if non-productive.

I did give the new number rather liberally and was relying on it (so had sometimes to switch to their Global profile and just note who called and then waited to use Skype back in the hotel).

Old
  (#7)
fsotirop (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-03-2012, 10:20

i have read various negative user comments for the cloud9 service.

Old
  (#8)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-03-2012, 14:02

Were you able to make outgoing calls though. I ask because, UK/US multi sim cards, the US number gets deactivated if not used. So, not sure if that was the reason. If you were not able to make outgoing calls, then there are other issues.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#9)
WorldSIM (Offline)
Amateur Member

Lightbulb 12-03-2012, 10:04

Hi to you all,

Hope you all had an excellent weekend!

Unfortunately there was a service issue on a few sim cards in the USA. This issue was related to our USA carrier and most of these issues have now been resolved.
We are very sorry that you (JPR) have been affected by this.
If you could please email us your WorldSIM number to marketing@worldsim.com our Customer Service Manager would be in touch with you personally.

WorldSIM is committed to offering an excellent service, we are always trying to improve and we make our best efforts to exceed our Customers expectations, we rely on your feedback to fulfil this commitment.

Thank you.

All the best,
WorldSIM Team