PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Rowena (Offline)

Default SIM options for trip to France & Sweden - 07-10-2007, 01:20

My boyfriend is in Paris on a Fulbright for 9 months. He needs to get a mobile to use whilst he is there. He purchased a mobile with SIM for 39 euros and the SIM ran out of credit after a few local calls and texts. He couldn't understand what they were telling him in the store, and I think he got ripped off. Before he purchases another SIM (apparently, this one can't be reloaded; he has to purchase a replacement), he asked me to research his options as he does not have convenient and cheap Internet access at present.

I would think that for 9 months, it might be cheaper to get a one-year contract and lose the last three months than to keep buying expensive SIMS? Anyone with experience with mobiles in France know what option would be best? He will be using the phone for both domestic and international calls and texts, as well as bringing it on trips to visit friends in the UK and Sweden.

Speaking of trips, I am trying to sort out what SIM I need when I visit him. I have a locked Nokia AT&T phone now, but I will be purchasing an unlocked quadband phone before my first visit. If French SIMs are a bad deal, I might as well pay for international roaming on AT&T; however, I don't want to make my European friends call or text an American number when they want to reach me over there. That's not fair to them. I will be going on 2, one-week stays and 2 four-week stays, with a week in Sweden for Xmas in there somewhere. I would like to avoid getting a French and a Swedish SIM for such a short stay, if it wouldn't cost my Swedish friends too much to reach me on a French number. I'd also like to keep the same number, if possible, for all 4 visits. I won't need to phone the U.S. -- I can just use Skype whenever I have to do that.

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-10-2007, 03:08

He should be able to add credit/talk time to the sim he already has. He just needs to get someone that understands what he is trying to do. French sims may be expensive, but not as bad to not be able to topup the current one. OTOH, I do not think he will be able to get a contract since credit or residency will need to be established...just like in most other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
My boyfriend is in Paris on a Fulbright for 9 months. He needs to get a mobile to use whilst he is there. He purchased a mobile with SIM for 39 euros and the SIM ran out of credit after a few local calls and texts. He couldn't understand what they were telling him in the store, and I think he got ripped off. Before he purchases another SIM (apparently, this one can't be reloaded; he has to purchase a replacement), he asked me to research his options as he does not have convenient and cheap Internet access at present.

I would think that for 9 months, it might be cheaper to get a one-year contract and lose the last three months than to keep buying expensive SIMS? Anyone with experience with mobiles in France know what option would be best? He will be using the phone for both domestic and international calls and texts, as well as bringing it on trips to visit friends in the UK and Sweden.

Speaking of trips, I am trying to sort out what SIM I need when I visit him. I have a locked Nokia AT&T phone now, but I will be purchasing an unlocked quadband phone before my first visit. If French SIMs are a bad deal, I might as well pay for international roaming on AT&T; however, I don't want to make my European friends call or text an American number when they want to reach me over there. That's not fair to them. I will be going on 2, one-week stays and 2 four-week stays, with a week in Sweden for Xmas in there somewhere. I would like to avoid getting a French and a Swedish SIM for such a short stay, if it wouldn't cost my Swedish friends too much to reach me on a French number. I'd also like to keep the same number, if possible, for all 4 visits. I won't need to phone the U.S. -- I can just use Skype whenever I have to do that.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-10-2007, 18:52

Surely a contract is cheaper but it's not so easy to get one. BTW he can surely refill his prepaid card at any GSM shop (and many other shops trhoughout France). Probably the sim had just few euros (quite normal when you buy a new one) but if he refills it he'll be able to get more. Of course prepaid cards in France are quite expensive... and I guess the phone will be unlocked too...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim