PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default GPRS data worldwide - 26-03-2007, 21:54

There are a few threads already on GPRS (data) roaming in specific countries - but does anybody have a solution which is reasonable worldwide?

I'm starting to use gprs a bit more now that I have a new phone (Nokia 6131) to bluetooth to my Nokia 770 (plus for data-triggered callbacks etc). Main countries I need are Mexico, France, Australia.

Best I've found so far is my old Virgin UK (postpaid) sim which is GBP 5 (nearly $10) per MB - this roams fine on Movistar in Mexico (with Edge speeds even). But that's pretty much it (gt-sim, and presumably most Manx sims, don't roam for data there, although it works in the US).

Are there any other companies, preferably prepaid, that have one flat-rate worldwide for data with excellent roaming agreements? (ignoring perhaps the constantly-changing Italian operators at present!). As this is only occasional use (when I'm out of range of wi-fi) nothing with a monthly fee would work.

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-03-2007, 00:04

I just use my virgin UK payg sim. My carrier Cingular charges double ($20/mb) what virgin charges. Have used it in several countries, even in countries not listed as part of payg roaming.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
chrget (Offline)

Default 28-03-2007, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
[...] any other companies, preferably prepaid, that have one flat-rate worldwide for data with excellent roaming agreements?
One of the obvious (?) ones that comes to mind is Swisscom. Natel Easy roaming data charges are fixed at CHF 14 / MByte worldwide (billed in 30 kByte increments), and Swisscom is known to be one of the carriers with the most roaming agreements worldwide.

Regards,
Chris.

Old
  (#4)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-03-2007, 01:54

http://www.swisscom-mobile.ch/scm/kd_datentarif-en.aspx

For all those who travel occasionally and transmit larger data volumes:

- CHF 5.00 / month
- Price per MB CHF 3.00

Settlement in steps of 300 kb

Old
  (#5)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-03-2007, 07:23

Thanks Andy and Chrget, Swisscom does look like a very good price for data with the 5 CHF/mo plan (without it it's a bit more than Virgin UK, but close enough to be a backup).

Hunting on their website, I can't find anywhere how long their recharge cards work for, i.e. how much would it cost to maintain an account? If the details here are current, it looks like it costs 30 CHF/mo, expensive.

Although another way of looking at that would be 30 CHF / $25/mo would buy me 8MB+ of data per month, nearly anywhere in the world - except the Isle of Man though as Swisscom don't have data roaming there...

However getting one of their cards looks like a challenge as it seems to require physical presence in CH to register/activate, which is unlikely for me in the foreseeable future (just don't have any reason to go near there).

Any other carriers around like this, perhaps with less strict rules for getting a card and long validities?

Old
  (#6)
chrget (Offline)

Default 29-03-2007, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
For all those who travel occasionally and transmit larger data volumes [...]
Unfortunately this is not available to prepaid customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
I can't find anywhere how long their recharge cards work for, i.e. how much would it cost to maintain an account?
The prepaid offer (Natel Easy) is valid indefinitely as long as you perform at least one billable transaction a year -- i.e. validity is one year starting from the time you are billed. So no need to recharge over and over again just to keep the beast alive

And ever since October last year, recharging using a credit card is possible via their website. So no need to go hunting for vouchers, either.

Regards,
Chris.

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-03-2007, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrget View Post
Unfortunately this is not available to prepaid customers.
oh, ok; when Andrea first mentioned it, I had the impression this contract might be available to people outside Switzerland.

I haven't checked this