PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
squawk1200 (Offline)
Official Member

Default Telnamobile in Bermuda - 21-10-2013, 21:45

Spent the last week in Bermuda and I have to say that Telna worked flawlessly for both voice and data... I compared their rates to the local Digicel and CellOne carriers prepaid rates. For calling the US, Telna had better rates. Of course it's hard to beat the local operators for local calling and data, but calling local is a rare occurrence for me outside the US...

I was happy to see Telna work flawlessly as I have had hit and miss experiences with them in the past. Specifically in callback markets. Bermuda is a direct dial market so maybe that helped... I've also noticed that the handset hardware has a lot to do with your service experience. Had three phones with me and had different results with all 3. One would find service but tell me there was a network error each time I tried to call out... Used a Motorola Photon 4G Android device and it worked fine for both voice and data... Data speeds were screaming on the island, so kudos to the underlying carrier... Don't see data speeds like that when I'm home...

Old
  (#2)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-10-2013, 22:30

If you are on T-Mobile at home in the U.S. - data and text roaming is unlimited in Bermuda and voice is 20¢/min. It is automatically included on plan(s) since March. You'd have to switch to the new (usually cheaper) plan if you are on an old plan.
The unlimited data is at 2G (EDGE speeds). You can buy packages of fast data.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#3)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-10-2013, 22:36

Try VOIP Over 3g on your phone next time (but Bermuda may block VOIP, I remember the problems they had with callbacks). VOIP.MS supports G729 and is very cheap. It also supports IAX/2 which has better network transversal than some systems.

Old
  (#4)
squawk1200 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 23-10-2013, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Try VOIP Over 3g on your phone next time (but Bermuda may block VOIP, I remember the problems they had with callbacks). VOIP.MS supports G729 and is very cheap. It also supports IAX/2 which has better network transversal than some systems.
Great idea! Just did some back of the napkin calculations and you are correct, that would have been much cheaper... Not sure if my VOIP provider would have been allowed by the carrier though, but something to try next time...

Either way, I got billed for what I expected to get billed for and their service just great.

Old
  (#5)
squawk1200 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 23-10-2013, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
If you are on T-Mobile at home in the U.S. - data and text roaming is unlimited in Bermuda and voice is 20¢/min. It is automatically included on plan(s) since March. You'd have to switch to the new (usually cheaper) plan if you are on an old plan.
The unlimited data is at 2G (EDGE speeds). You can buy packages of fast data.
Unfortunately I don't use T-mobile. Their plans are attractive for sure, but changing carriers is just not an option for me at this time... Best I can hope for now is that my current provider might follow suit and reduce their international roaming costs. Otherwise carrying an extra SIM or two is still my method...

Old
  (#6)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 01-01-2014, 20:00

Used up most of my Digicel Bermuda in June 2013 and let rest expire. Telna test worked fine there. With cheaper rates to US and direct dial no reason for me to keep Digicel sim. Other issue was Digicel increased minimum 60 day refill from bmd10 to bmd20 so Telna roaming on Digicel made more sense. Currently on a beach hammock in Nevis typing on my Blu Rave dual sim phone over hotel wifi. Telna also works fine here on Digicel although just picking up 2g signals. Taking taxi, boat and plane to St. Maarten on Saturday. Although St. Maarten not listed on Telna website might still pick up a friendly Digicel signal from the French side of the island. If not then will use skype over hotel wifi or low tech prepaid calling card.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#7)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-01-2014, 02:45

Telna works on Digicel French Antilles in St. Maarten by callback. Callback is easier than other sims I've used that often required a USSD string. Had to file a trouble ticket since didn't work right away but worked today when did a manual carrier selection. Other French or Dutch carriers don't allow registration or only allow emergency calls.
Did try Skype over hotel wifi but Voip quality was pretty bad..best for email or light web browsing instead.
Also used Inmarsat prepaid from room balcony.
Hotel is lovely but room phone has a USD rate of $6 for the first minute and $4.50 for additional minutes. Telna at fifty cents a minute or Inmarsat at a little over a dollar are a better deal.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device

Old
  (#8)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-01-2014, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
Also used Inmarsat prepaid from room balcony.
South-facing room? Which INMARSAT device do you use: handheld or briefcase? The first "portable" INMARSAT unit I ever used was about the size of a large suitcase or steamer trunk. It had wheels.

Old
  (#9)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-01-2014, 15:47

From Sint Marten the serving Inmarsat satellite (Inmarsat-4 F3 at 97.6°W) is actually located west by south (260°). Also the elevation angle is quite high there (45.5° which is halfway between the horizon and the zenith), so you don't need that much of a clear horizon to get a signal (calculate relative satellite positions at http://www.dishpointer.com/).
As we are going a bit off-topic here, shouldn't we start a separate satellite phone thread?

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#10)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-01-2014, 07:03

Think there were only 3 calls home via Inmarsat using a total of about 15 units/minutes. Last resort when couldn't use Telna/Digicel on 3 days. Used the Isatphone Pro handheld. Smaller and lighter than the Iridium 9500 I used to use. Put on balcony table for GPS fix. Then use signal strength meter on display to figure out best position to place call. Was top floor balcony with a non-covered wooden trellis...just pointed the antenna straight up, rather than pointing to the satellite (from look angle maps think the Inmarsat bird I was using was near the Panama Canal).

Back on topic. Vast majority of calls were by Telna Mobile on Digicel(5-10 minutes a day in Nevis or St. Maarten). Usually was a 2G signal but did pick up 3g service at the SXM airport on the way back to the US last night. Curious though that Digicel was direct dial in Bermuda and Nevis but was by callback in St. Maarten. Did also pick up a brief non-blocked signal from Setel NV on St. Maarten but then became no service signal.

Saved quite a bit of money using Telna/Digicel or Inmarsat instead of the room phone on my vacation. Would rather spend the money at the beachfront bar and grille