PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#91)
sarunat (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Maxroam looks cheapest - 05-05-2009, 17:25

Hello, i took a Maxroam sim after problems with UM: checking price, tell me if i'm wrong, looks cheapest of the cheapest in the market.

They've no free incoming calls, but to call, send sms and data their prices looks 50 per cent or more less then other travelcard in the market, even if - i understand - for people "uk based" could be not very nice the Belgian number.

I used in Italy, and works good.

About DID i've seen the offer, now, Us and Canadian: could be usefull if they start the same with european numbers, and they start with the "first free number" they offer together with the sim.

Old
  (#92)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 05-05-2009, 17:43

Actually, based my comparison of a few countries, celtrek is cheaper. Even up to 30% - 40% cheaper in some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarunat View Post
Hello, i took a Maxroam sim after problems with UM: checking price, tell me if i'm wrong, looks cheapest of the cheapest in the market.

They've no free incoming calls, but to call, send sms and data their prices looks 50 per cent or more less then other travelcard in the market, even if - i understand - for people "uk based" could be not very nice the Belgian number.

I used in Italy, and works good.

About DID i've seen the offer, now, Us and Canadian: could be usefull if they start the same with european numbers, and they start with the "first free number" they offer together with the sim.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#93)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-05-2009, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
No. Nothing from maxroam. However, I just logged into their website and noticed that they listed some US and Canada DID's for 3.99 Euro/month. It does not mean that it will work if you add it. Also, no mention of the one DID that was supposed to be free. I will not be surprised if it's no longer feasible for them to offer a free DID.
I've noticed a couple of times that MAXRoam has made changes to its website that caused me to think something good might be happening, only to be disappointed. A while back, they were offering Ohio DIDs, but this was subsequently removed. Now they are offering DIDs in many states. I hope that this is a sign they will soon give us our assigned DIDs back, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
  (#94)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default DID Numbers - 07-05-2009, 11:56

Can you please tell me as a prospective buyer of the sim how much thy charge monthly for a US DID. Are other countries available at what prices? I guess hey discontinued first DID free thry are all paying but thus info is available once you login only as customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
I've noticed a couple of times that MAXRoam has made changes to its website that caused me to think something good might be happening, only to be disappointed. A while back, they were offering Ohio DIDs, but this was subsequently removed. Now they are offering DIDs in many states. I hope that this is a sign they will soon give us our assigned DIDs back, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
  (#95)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-05-2009, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingelli View Post
Can you please tell me as a prospective buyer of the sim how much thy charge monthly for a US DID. Are other countries available at what prices? I guess hey discontinued first DID free thry are all paying but thus info is available once you login only as customer.
We don't know that they have discontinued the first free DID. For those of us who purchased the card with DIDs from various countries, they claim that they are still trying to get those numbers assigned. When I log in as a customer, it lists both my Belgium number and my US DID. The earlier version of the card could be purchased with a DID from any of numerous countries, including the US, Canada, and Western Europe.

The site now allows me to go to a page for purchasing additional DIDs. Although it shows both US and Canadian DIDs available, only the US DIDs actually appear when I try to purchase one. As for the US DIDs, all the states appear to be available, and they are priced at 3.99 Euro per month.

Old
  (#96)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-05-2009, 16:41

Exactly. Not sure what they are doing since they have chosen to not inform customers of anything. Now, I thought somewhere on the website they stated that you get a free DID from one country, blah blah blah. Well, I no longer see that at all. And under the FAQ about which country DID can be added, they listed countries and also stated that DID can be added for a certain fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
We don't know that they have discontinued the first free DID. For those of us who purchased the card with DIDs from various countries, they claim that they are still trying to get those numbers assigned. When I log in as a customer, it lists both my Belgium number and my US DID. The earlier version of the card could be purchased with a DID from any of numerous countries, including the US, Canada, and Western Europe.

Old
  (#97)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-05-2009, 17:24

Again, this is all speculation, but they have removed all references to a free DID from their website. They may still honor it for existing customers. But, who knows. This page now states you get a Global number and can add a DID for a fee.

MAXroam - About Our Service

As long as I can add and remove as I choose and I am not obligated keep the DID for more than a month, I think I can live with it.

Last edited by Bossman; 07-05-2009 at 17:31..

Old
  (#98)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-05-2009, 11:34

Just thought I'd mention that maxroam also charges for answering the callback. I was charged 0.25 euro (cost of incoming call in the US) for a testcall. I hung up as soon as the called number rang. Not sure if this will be charged per minute or it's just for answering the calback.

Old
  (#99)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-05-2009, 18:05

The way they charge now is as you answer the calback they charge 1 minute (irrespective so if call is then answered or not) and after that in 30 second billing increment.
Also free DID are not available anymore, but they charge a fee now, also for just 1 month. I got the above form customer service online, quite a relaible service, they answer same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Just thought I'd mention that maxroam also charges for answering the callback. I was charged 0.25 euro (cost of incoming call in the US) for a testcall. I hung up as soon as the called number rang. Not sure if this will be charged per minute or it's just for answering the calback.

Old
  (#100)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 20-05-2009, 19:30

I was told by customer service that they still intend to assign the DIDs we got when we purchased the card, but that problems with their numbers provider have delayed the assignment. He did not say when the assignment would take place, but I think he intended to say "when Hell freezes over."

He also mentioned that I could purchase a DID in the meantime.

Tags
maxroam