PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
jooboy (Offline)

Default just moved to Italy, need advice on prepaid carrier - 05-09-2008, 15:45

Hello everyone! I just moved to Italy from the USA and need help selecting a prepaid carrier. I wish I could browse through the wealth of info on this site, but I'm on a pretty slow network where I'm temporarily staying. Could anyone please help me select a prepaid carrier (vodafone, tim, etc) for these purposes:

1. Primary use will be day-to-day calls within Italy to and from the wife, coworkers, friends, local businesses etc.
2. Most calls will be to and from my wife, who also needs to get a phone, so are there companies that have lower or free calling rates to phones in the same network?
3. I will also be calling to the US since most of my friends and all of my family are there. Calls will be 10+ minutes, but not too frequently, just calls to stay in touch from time to time
4. I will be in Friuli Venezia Giulia but plan on going to other regions of Italy and countries in Europe, but it won't be every weekend or anything
5. No real need for data services, but I plan on texting a lot, especially if it is cheaper than calling the USA

Appreciate any information/suggestions in advance. I know I'm asking a lot, but prepaid SIMs are totally new to me, I never had to deal with them in the states, and it's tough to get information without speaking much Italian (I'm learning!). Of course, I understand the concept, but just want to make an economical choice to best fit my needs.

Ciao,
JOO

Last edited by jooboy; 05-09-2008 at 15:51..