PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
rickgans (Offline)

Talking Prepaid data/voice SIM for France - 01-07-2008, 18:05

I am traveling to France for 3 weeks and I have been trying to figure out if there is such thing as cellular service there, like I have here in the US. Specifically, I use a Samsung i760 on the Verizon network in the US with unlimited data and a regular voice plan. I use Exchange and my calendar and contacts synch perfectly as does my Exchange email. I also use 4 POP accounts and they work perfectly on my Samsung.

I am looking to buy an unlocked HTC TyTyn II because I want to load language translation software on it and use Word with a full-sized bluetooth keyboard to keep a diary of my trip. I say this because Verizon would lend me a GSM Blackberry 8830 but I could not load the translation software, nor could I hook up the full sized bluetooth keyboard, so I don't want that. So I am hoping to find a prepaid SIM card from some carrier (any carrier) that will give me voice and data. I calculated I should use between 12 and 20 mb of data while I am there, based on my average usage. I would like to be able to do voice at a cheap rate, but that is not imperative. I will be calling the US every few days and will be calling the couple we are traveling with while in France (when we separate).

I have spent hours searching for a solution and have found nothing. I can't be the only one who has ever traveled to France and wanted to keep in touch, so I am apparently not looking in the right places. One other thing, I am the kind who needs things set before I go. So the idea of going with the phone and then buying a prepaid SIM card once I get there is a little scary for me. I don't speak any French and I am not comfortable trying to set up a new phone in a foreign country. I would rather have things set before go.
Rick