PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Celtrek SIM cancelation. - 21-11-2008, 23:37

I have one of the first CelTrek SIMs, which has been abroad with a friend since mid October. My friend told me the phone reported "Unregistered SIM", which is usually the kiss of death for a SIM. I checked with CelTrek, who in effect said, "What? Didn't you get the memo?" It seems that their first issue of SIMs have become obsolete and have been canceled. They were supposed to have sent out notices of this on 29 Oct but I can't find any such e-mail. Anyway, they shut down these SIMs on 11 Nov. They are rushing me a replacement SIM but I'm still a bit miffed that this happened on such short (non) notice.

If you have a CelTrek SIM (particularly an early one) it might be a good idea to test it.

Old
  (#2)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 22-11-2008, 00:27

As I posted below, same thing happened to my Maxroam sim. It just died. Don't know if they are related issues. I think Celtrek uses an Israel +972 number too like Maxroam. May be the same carrier. Maxroam is sending a new sim to me with my credit transferred over.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/maxr...-t2427p15.html

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#3)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-11-2008, 15:51

They sent out a msg. saying the old SIMS would be cancelled a/o a certain date and now have new SIMS that eventually will be data enabled. Also have new countries. Credits carry over.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#4)
bones_boy (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Same here - 22-11-2008, 16:14

DRNewcomb - when this happened last week I immediately came here to check for a post from you. At the time figured it was just me.

Talked to Ryan with Celtrek CS - he says a new SIM is in the mail. Weird that we had to call. I received no email or message either - and my email address is in My Celtrek Profile. Oh well.

Old
  (#5)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 22-11-2008, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_boy View Post
DRNewcomb - when this happened last week I immediately came here to check for a post from you. At the time figured it was just me.
I didn't have the SIM and the guy who's using it didn't e-mail me about the problem until Friday.

Old
  (#6)
monkeyboy (Offline)
Official Member

Default 24-11-2008, 00:36

yup, same thing happened to me... 2 weeks ago, I tried using my Celtrek SIM... dead...
Called CS, "Didn't you get the memo???" ... no...

They sent me a replacement SIM... but I just tried it now and it doesn't work either.... grrrrr....

Old
  (#7)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 24-11-2008, 01:20

So did anyone get the notice they were supposed to have sent out?

Old
  (#8)
monkeyboy (Offline)
Official Member

Default 24-11-2008, 18:42

So after an extended CS session with Celtrek, the new SIM now seems to work. Apparently something was broken on their end that needed fixing with the new SIM...

I asked them why the SIM change, and they said "New technology, more networks available, soon will have data services available"...

Old
  (#9)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 25-11-2008, 19:41

My Iceland based Yackie sim card still works. Hadn't used it in just under 6 months, and just sent 2 text messages from the US to the UK, and got a response to one of them. Odd thing is that the balance from the handset says $0, but the Yackie Mobile site said US$45, which decreased by about a dollar after I sent the two text messages. If my sim still works next May, will likely use from Bermuda to the US to use up some of the remaining balance on the card I am carrying (even though it will be at US$1.69/minute), and then switch to my lesser cost Digicel Bermuda card. To be fair, the Yackie rates were very good in other destinations in the Caribbean I used the card in; just Bermuda and a handful of other destinations are not as good a value.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#10)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-11-2008, 20:27

Same here. When I check the balance from the handset it shows $0. However, it's correct online. I first noticced this when I used it in London and Nigeria in September. It used to report correctly when I first got the sims. I never even bothered to report it to their customer service. My DID had expired, so I just added a local free DID right before I travelled, and it worked quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
My Iceland based Yackie sim card still works. Hadn't used it in just under 6 months, and just sent 2 text messages from the US to the UK, and got a response to one of them. Odd thing is that the balance from the handset says $0, but the Yackie Mobile site said US$45, which decreased by about a dollar after I sent the two text messages. If my sim still works next May, will likely use from Bermuda to the US to use up some of the remaining balance on the card I am carrying (even though it will be at US$1.69/minute), and then switch to my lesser cost Digicel Bermuda card. To be fair, the Yackie rates were very good in other destinations in the Caribbean I used the card in; just Bermuda and a handful of other destinations are not as good a value.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile