PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
toofrequentflyer (Offline)

Default Questions about 3 (Drei) in Austria - 24-03-2012, 02:23

Hello,

I live in the U.S. and in April 2012 I will visit Vienna for about a week with my phone and iPad. It looks like "3" may be a good fit for my needs. I have been looking through their web page but my high school German was 30 years ago so I am not confident that I have understood everything! It appears there are several different cards and I am not sure which one would be best. So if anyone can help with a few things I would be grateful.

For phone, my main use will be calls to the U.S. and a small amount of data for Assisted GPS (A-GPS) location. It seems like the "ReLoad Extreme" card will allow calls to the U.S. for 0.025 Euro per minute after paying a 4.00 Euro fee, and 100 MB of data for a 3.00 Euro fee. However there is also a "3SuperSim" which comes with 1 GB or more of data (depending on the level chosen) but unfortunately I cannot find information on charges for calls to the U.S. with that one. So I am a little confused.

For the iPad, I would need maybe 1 GB of data. There is a "3SuperSim Data" card which gives 1 GB for EUR 4.00. But I do not know the up-front cost for the sim.

A specific reason for choosing "3" is their "3LikeHome" feature which allows no cost roaming in several countries including Italy. I will be visiting Italy in May so apparently I can use the same 3 sim I buy in Vienna. This will avoid having to buy another sim in Italy and possible issues with Codice Fiscale etc. Also I will probably be back in Vienna in early 2013 and my understanding is the "3" sim has a validity of 12 months, so I can use it when I return.

A final question is where to find "3" sims. Are they sold only in special "3" shops or are they also available in supermarkets and other places like some other sims? If anyone knows the location of a "3" shop in Vienna I would be grateful. (I have been to Vienna several times and know how to get around fairly well.)

Any comments or corrections would be most welcome! Also if people have suggestions for a different provider that is cheaper, more stable or whatever that would be welcome too. Thanks!