PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#271)
ronwi (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default This is Strange and in the Too Good to be True Category... - 08-09-2013, 23:19

No US carriers offer free incoming calls, unless as part of an unlimited calling package.

Although the website is not specific on this, presumably incoming calls on the US number are free. I can't imagine this will last, particularly as there are also free incoming calls in many other countries - there is virtually no revenue (and perhaps negative revenue) in charging nothing for an incoming call to the US number and then allowing me to answer the call for free while roaming in France.

I will make some test calls tomorrow when I am at work where my Toggle SIM is located.

Old
  (#272)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 09-09-2013, 01:06

I'm just waiting for the US to become a Toggle country.

Old
  (#273)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-09-2013, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
As far as I can tell it is now.

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Old
  (#274)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-09-2013, 04:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
Did you have any choice of what your area code which was assigned?
201 seems to be the only area code so far; there is no choice, same as the other Toggle countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
No US carriers offer free incoming calls, unless as part of an unlimited calling package.

Although the website is not specific on this, presumably incoming calls on the US number are free. I can't imagine this will last, particularly as there are also free incoming calls in many other countries - there is virtually no revenue (and perhaps negative revenue) in charging nothing for an incoming call to the US number and then allowing me to answer the call for free while roaming in France.
It is working as advertised here in Europe. Incoming calls on the US number are received for free here.

People said the same thing about Switzerland, where 95% of the operators are charging between 25c and 50c per minute (most are at ~30c/min), even for calls to landlines... Toggle is charging 3p/min for landline and 9p/min for mobile and they are using the best (and most expensive) network in Switzerland: Swisscom. For how long has Switzerland been a Toggle country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwi View Post
I will make some test calls tomorrow when I am at work where my Toggle SIM is located.
It would be nice if you could confirm if it is the same when receiving calls in the US too (although I don't have any doubts, as per the web site).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The US is a Toggle country now, with the same rates as the UK (within US & US to UK & UK to US: 3p/min landline, 3p/min mobile, 9p SMS, 15p/mb data - to other Toggle countries: same rates for landline & SMS but 9p/min mobile - From other Toggle countries to US & UK: 3p/min mobile & landlines). Check the web site.

Last edited by MBK; 09-09-2013 at 04:43..

Old
  (#275)
frogduck (Offline)

Default 09-09-2013, 04:33

Hi, I had a read through one of the lengthy posts previously about the roaming indicator and wasn't sure if it answered my issue or not so I figured I might as well ask again.

Currently I have a toggle sim in Australia, using a registered local toggle number for Australia. I am calling and receiving calls alright on both the UK and Australian numbers but it has the Roaming indicator on my reception bars. For data, do I need to turn on data roaming to get the toggle rates or does it need to show a local 2G/3G/H symbol to get the toggle rates?

The phone is an android phone HTC Desire HD running on 2.3.7 gingerbread if that helps.

Thanks!

edit: I have manually set the IMSI to Australia and also have manually entered the APN for toggle at data.lycamobile.co.uk

edit 2: also while I'm here, when roaming (specifically in singapore), the website says incoming calls are free. Is this true? Because on my other sim it charges about 60c/min to receive a call when roaming globally.

Last edited by frogduck; 09-09-2013 at 04:40..

Old
  (#276)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-09-2013, 04:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogduck View Post
Hi, I had a read through one of the lengthy posts previously about the roaming indicator and wasn't sure if it answered my issue or not so I figured I might as well ask again.

Currently I have a toggle sim in Australia, using a registered local toggle number for Australia. I am calling and receiving calls alright on both the UK and Australian numbers but it has the Roaming indicator on my reception bars. For data, do I need to turn on data roaming to get the toggle rates or does it need to show a local 2G/3G/H symbol to get the toggle rates?

The phone is an android phone HTC Desire HD running on 2.3.7 gingerbread if that helps.

Thanks!

edit: I have manually set the IMSI to Australia and also have manually entered the APN for toggle at data.lycamobile.co.uk
Uh, why don't you test it and tell us

Turn it on, check your email or something else. Turn it off. Then go check and see what you get charged on the site.

I'd be interested in knowing. My guess is that as long as the IMSI has been set to the local number the data should be on the local rate.

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Old
  (#277)
frogduck (Offline)

Default 09-09-2013, 04:45

Does the credit balance get updated immediately? If so then I'll give it a go, my local ones here update within 48 hours haha.

Old
  (#278)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-09-2013, 04:49

Quote:

Thanks!

edit 2: also while I'm here, when roaming (specifically in singapore), the website says incoming calls are free. Is this true? Because on my other sim it charges about 60c/min to receive a call when roaming globally.
Yes, as HappyCamp said if the IMSI is set to the local number you are charged at the local rates.

The roaming indicator will always be on, this is normal. And yes, you need to turn on data roaming on your phone, data won't work otherwise as you are always roaming when outside of the UK (even if you are getting the local rates).

Old
  (#279)
frogduck (Offline)

Default 09-09-2013, 04:54

I just tested it and it appears that I am getting Roaming rates as I was loading a 600kb picture and it cost me 1 pound. Any ideas on how to get the local rates?

edit: OK my credit went back up for some reason so I think its working haha

Old
  (#280)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 09-09-2013, 04:54

Quote:
Does the credit balance get updated immediately? If so then I'll give it a go, my local ones here update within 48 hours haha.
In my experience it seems to be taking between 10 to 30 minutes to update.

Tags
netherlands, toggle