PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Remote power switch via mobile? - 08-09-2009, 10:34

I'm looking for a bit of hardware but I do not even know if it exists. All I want to be able to do is to somehow operate a remote on/off switch via a mobile phone signal.

I am imagining some sort of kit probably cobbled up from an old handset with a prepaid sim card in it which is somehow linked to a relay mechanism which can switch a power circuit on or off. The idea is to be able to ring or SMS or send a GPRS (or better) data signal to the handset to be able to remotely switch a simple circuit.

Does an off-the-shelf cheap solution exist for this, or do I have to cobble something together myself? If something exists, what words should I be googling for?

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-09-2009, 11:48

There's such a device based on an analogue PSTN interface, which is sold for € 30 and can be expanded to up to 4 power sockets (+ € 10 for each additional one): Google Translate

With a Sagem RL300 or the newer RL302 GSM-Gateway, which you can get in new condition for ~ € 50 from German eBay, you could get what you want.

However I don't know any solution, that is intended for SMS, GPRS or GSM at all.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 08-09-2009, 13:46

Thanks for that. The first one really is an interesting device. Pity there isn't a PSTN line where I want to set this up, but I suppose the gateway is a viable addition.

Its a little bit pricier than the ueber-crude option that I was initially planning which was to have some sort of an LDR or light sensor which is placed in front of the mobile phone screen. The backlight could then trigger my circuit when the phone was called for example. But there are just way too many things which could go wrong, such as other calls (wrong numbers) as well as other ordinary mobile functions which trigger the light such as low battery etc. However I have just discovered that some electronics hobby shops actually sell something based on this crude principle.

There just must be some better dedicated "box of tricks" based on gsm (and not pstn) technology available somewhere?

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-09-2009, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
There just must be some better dedicated "box of tricks" based on gsm (and not pstn) technology available somewhere?
I'd be interested to hear if you do find anything. I'm thinking about something similar to switch on air conditioning or heating (depending on the season) when say an hour or so away from the house when I'm returning from a trip. I don't have a landline.

I like your idea of sensing something happening on the phone, no wires. How about some sort of fairly standard controller based on dtmf (touch tones), X!0 or some other home automation thing (or just a relay). That could listen to the phone for a ring.

On the phone, set a different ring tone depending on who is calling in (lots of phones can do that), and if it's the call/text from you it'll be the right ring tone (a series of dtmf tones) and trigger the right action. If it's a wrong number it'll be a different ring and be ignored.

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-09-2009, 23:13

I just discovered another solution, which is surely again a bit of an overkill, but it appears to be the most sophisticated one:
There's a 3G/WiFi-router called Dovado UMR (~ € 100 in Germany), that has two USB plugs. One is for a 3G-modem and on the other you can attach a tellstick (~ € 70 including Europe-wide shipping at temperatur.nu), which then allows switching wireless power switches from multiple manufacturers (including Ikea) through web, SMS or a schedule. A bundle of 3 compatible power switches including remote control costs € 30 in Germany. Add a USB modem for € 30, and the total investment for enabling remote switch of up to 3 devices would amount to € 230.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 08-09-2009 at 23:35..

Old
  (#6)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 10-09-2009, 15:15

I really like that second product Inquisitor. I could have a lot of fun with that. Though its a bit expensive it could also solve a few multiple problems... Like sharing a 3G connection on multiple computers and webcams.

Thanks for the input. I will do a bit more research and then report back if I take a step.

RTuesday... Like you, the main application I want this for is heating control. For people who have second homes, or weekend getaways... Remote controlled temperature control is a great benefit. In my experience, 7 day timers are useless, because no one can really predict when they will be wanting to go or when they will get there. Also, as is the case in my situation... Frequent power outages would mean a battery powered timer... which adds to the cost over mains operated ones.

I'll keep you posted...

Old
  (#7)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-09-2009, 16:35

The PSTN box might still be usable if you have Internet connectivity... that lets you use VoIP. With some sneaky application you might even be able to use a mobile network data connection.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#8)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-09-2009, 14:08

There is a GSM Remote module from Conrad Electronic (Conrad Electronic - Europas führendes Versandhandelsunternehmen für Elektronik und Technik)

The link is definitely too long, so please go to conrad.de and search for: GSM
The order number (Artikel-Nummer) of this module is 196666-PS

Expensive, but looks nice.....

Old
  (#9)
9eor9 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-09-2009, 17:20

There is a second model from Conrad, Model GX-101 (above is GX-106)
Artikel-Nr. 196800 - 62

Old
  (#10)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-09-2009, 22:28

These are really nice! Thanks for the research. Sounds pretty much perfect for remote temperature control, but this even allows remote monitoring of inside/outside temperatures which is an added bonus. All can be controlled by SMS too!

A good find. Thanks. I now have some decisions to make between this one or the other one suggested by inquisitor which has a few more options too.