PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Fossie (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Data in Dubai - 24-04-2010, 20:31

I am searching for an inexpensive possibility of using my (unlocked) USB modem and laptop computer (on a prepaid basis) for about 10 days in Dubai. No great data transfer needed. I searched the Etisalat homepage but didn't quite unterstand the offers. Any suggestions and/or experiences? Thank you in advance!

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 24-04-2010, 21:52

After you buy the SIM card, and register it, get the recharge slip that you want. Put the SIM card in a phone temporarily. Now, dial the number listed on the included slip of paper to set your language to English. Do your top up, dial 125, selet the data package you want.

Look at the chart at the bottom of:

3.5G Data Packages

You can buy a monthly bucket of data on any Wasel prepaid (you might have to buy the regular Wasel rather than the traveler, I'm not sure on that). You just buy a regular Etisilat SIM card and register it. You then buy the appropriate prepaid top up slips and but them on the phone. Then dial 125 and go through the recordings to add the package you want.

The thing that I suspect is confusing you is the price of 99AED for 10gigs which is cheaper than even the 1 gig offering and only 5AED more expensive than 100 meg offering. I can't explain it either. I emailed a friend about this and will supplement my answer.

Since I got an unlimited global data package from ATT, I haven't shopped prepaid data market as much as I used to. I think the catch is on the top of the page which says it is a three month only offer and seems to suggest that you have to pop down the 300 AED at once to get it.

Old
  (#3)
Fossie (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 25-04-2010, 11:20

Thanks a lot for your instant help, Stu! Sounds very reasonable! I'll wait for further news. I'm going to spend 10 days in the Atlantis on the Palm in July and I think any prepaid mobile solution is cheaper than their domestic WIFI.

Old
  (#4)
djmonsi (Offline)
Official Member

Default 25-04-2010, 23:19

you can also have a look at du plans. du sim cost AED 55 and got good 3.5g coverage and many of the blocked services in etisalat are open in du.

Old
  (#5)
Fossie (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 27-04-2010, 18:50

Thanks a lot for your answers! Is there any activation procedure/fee for prepaid SIM cards?

Old
  (#6)
djmonsi (Offline)
Official Member

Default 28-04-2010, 21:54

Yes. your id proof. that will be your passport copy if you are on a visit. No additional activation fee on both du or etisalat.

AED 40 you get 50mb of data on du and aed 10 you get 5mb of data. On etisalat for 10mb it cost aed 25 and 100mb aed 95. so du is cheaper .

Last edited by djmonsi; 28-04-2010 at 22:01..

Old
  (#7)
Fossie (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-05-2010, 17:35

Thank you for all your answers! Do you happen to know if these SIM cards work in an unlocked USB modem stick (Huawei E160)? Are they pre-configured or are special settings (APN, etc.) necessary? Has anyone tried this? Alternatively, I could use my mobile phone (Motorola Razr V3xx) as a modem.

Last edited by Fossie; 07-05-2010 at 18:08..

Old
  (#8)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 08-05-2010, 03:08

I used the Etisilat data SIM in an unlocked Sierra 885u modem last year.

Old
  (#9)
laptopnomad (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 08-05-2010, 11:22

Please note that (Etisalat) Internet in the UAE is heavily filtered with serious filtering equipment (they can afford it) - i was there in 2007/2008 and found it the most erratic internet access experience of all countries i've visited so far.

Read about internet filtering and what to expect.

Du is quite a bit better, but the pressure was already on in 2008 to comply to state rules. Du came from the UAE Free Zone's where internet access seems to have different, less strict rules.

Cheers!

The Laptop Junction
Overland by 4x4 truck in Asia, Middle-East and Afrika

Old
  (#10)
Fossie (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 08-05-2010, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I used the Etisilat data SIM in an unlocked Sierra 885u modem last year.
Did you need any special settings (APN) or were they pre-stored on the SIM? After all I have read, I am tending to buy a "du" SIM card + data package. Does anybody have any experiences with data transfer on "du"? Thanks!