PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Chris Blunt (Offline)

Default Best SIM for data in Indonesia - 27-08-2008, 08:16

I'm going to be visiting Indonesia for about 10 days and will need a pre-paid SIM to use there. This is mainly for connecting my laptop to the internet, so I'd like to know which network would be best for data connections. I'll be in Bali for about a week, plus a few days in Jakarta.

Given the choice, I'd prefer to pay a bit more for a faster network than save money and mess around waiting for a slow connection.

Could anyone offer any recommendations?

Chris

Old
  (#2)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-08-2008, 18:52

Look at here
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/indonesia.html

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 28-08-2008, 01:25

One thing I'd like to mention about Indonesia is that, when I was there, my T-Mobile postpaid roamed onto the "XL" (Excelcomm) network and I received a SMS with a local phone number that they had assigned to my phone. I could be called via that temporary number. I put XL at the top of my PRL, set CBW to callback on that number and using the URL trigger could make cheap calls.

Old
  (#4)
khaertel (Offline)

Default 21-11-2008, 11:08

Hi,

It's probably too late for the original poster but for anyone traveling there: get the XL SIM card. I had 3.5G coverage all throughout Jakarta and Bali. The best thing for me was, it has a IDR 5,000/day (about 0.50c/day) for Blackberries (BIS & browsing)! This card also works roaming in Malaysia - it even costs the same for BB. All you need to do is once you have the SIM activated to text "BB ON" to 568.

cheers,
Klaus

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-03-2014, 09:17

A friend of mine will depart for Bali next week and so I'm looking for advice on which operator offers the best value for data there. Any experience is highly appreciated.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#6)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 31-03-2014, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
A friend of mine will depart for Bali next week and so I'm looking for advice on which operator offers the best value for data there. Any experience is highly appreciated.
Hi Inquisitor. An aussie friend of mine (who is not very tech savvy i am afraid) recently got back from Bali. I will check with him and get back to you. But even if not, I am sure Australian forums like Whirlppol will be full of advice of people heading to Bali. After all, Bali to an Australian is almost like Mallorca to a German... "Ballerman" = "Schoolie".

Just having a quick glance at http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1866118 I see a recent post by someone called Knaff saying: "..local sim, charge up $2.50 and get 500Mb to use in 30 days."

Also have a look at this: http://www.vilondo.com/bali-travel-g...t-247-in-bali/

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 31-03-2014, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
A 3 UK SIM could be used with their Feel at home charging the same as in UK, so add a nice data bundle.

There probably isn't time to send you a new one, but I notice one in your signature.

I'd guess a local SIM would work out a bit cheaper though.