PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Finarea's returncall.co.uk in conjunction with IOM card - 20-01-2007, 17:14

Anybody used this combination for a callback yet? Does it work? It could be very cheap especially for calling USA, UK or Spain at no per minute charge and only a 5p (GBP) connection! I am not sure if the Finarea system allows callback to a IOM number.

I spotted on the site it says:
**Please note! Only use this service in the UK. Do not use this service whilst travelling overseas as your mobile provider will charge extra roaming fees for receiving calls abroad!

Old
  (#2)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 20-01-2007, 17:25

well, I think that the problem can be the sms to send...

How It Works:
1) Text the message RETURN ON to short number 81223 from your mobile phone. Your mobile provider will charge this text message at 5 pounds* (inc VAT) and in return you will receive 5 pounds worth of ReturnCall calling credit from us.

If you have a pay as you go mobile you must first ensure you have topped up your mobile phone with a sufficient amount credit in order to use this service.

If Manx Telecom has an agreement with Finarea you can reach that short code, good luck...

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#3)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-01-2007, 18:15

I doubt you would be able to use this service from a MANX phone.... You would probably need one of the mobiles phones based in UK (vodafone, orange, 02, tmobile etc)

Old
  (#4)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-01-2007, 18:26

I thought as much that it may not be possible.

Either way, I think this product maybe of some use for occasional roaming with a UK based pay-as-you-go SIM with Vodafone passport switched on.

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 21-01-2007, 03:03

CallKey CS said that short code sms are not supported (but I suppose it could be worth asking Manx as well), and the other problem would be no caller ID is sent by the SIM anyway (though this could be worked around).

UK people with O2 or Orange contracts might register that phone and forward to the IoM SIM though ...

I can think of another possible good use for this, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm strongly tempted to cancel my contract phone if it works.

And there would be a way to call other countries at the UK tariff. I doubt those tariffs can last though, as free callback to a mobile can't be done.

Maybe we should keep an eye open for similar product launches elsewhere, as Finarea operates in over a dozen countries

Old
  (#6)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 21-01-2007, 04:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA View Post
If Manx Telecom has an agreement with Finarea you can reach that short code, good luck...
Last time I checked, none of the UK short codes work from Manx Telecom mobiles.

Even the short codes advertised by BBC radio and TV programmes to contact them don't work from IOM (which I've always found irritating, since the programmes cover the IOM and are partly paid for by IOM residents).

Old
  (#7)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 21-01-2007, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
UK people with O2 or Orange contracts might register that phone and forward to the IoM SIM though ...
You're right Andy... that thought had not crossed my mind. Good thinking.

I was initially thinking of making use of this for calling via the US based access numbers of futurephone etc. however they always seem to be so overloaded. Then again, I can see myself eating through many 5p connection fees until I get a decent line. Also, I have occasionally used similar Finarea UK based TopUp services and found that the credit I had topped up via premium text or phone call always went faster than what I calculated. The problem is there is no way of checking your 'balance' once you have topped up. One time I made careful notes of every connection and discovered it stated my credit had expired though according to my calculations I could make another 22 calls!! I wrote to them, and several weeks later eventually got an automated answer saying they can never overcharge!

Quote:
I can think of another possible good use for this, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm strongly tempted to cancel my contract phone if it works.
You can never rely on Finarea not to suddenly change rates in any case. (Though I do not know what you are thinking... but obviously intrigued now)

Quote:
Maybe we should keep an eye open for similar product launches elsewhere, as Finarea operates in over a dozen countries
Yes... though the UK market seems to be one of the most advanced.

Old
  (#8)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-01-2007, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post

They run it in germany as well but i dont remember the website name at the moment. As soon as i find it again i'll post it here.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#9)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 23-01-2007, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
They run it in germany as well but i dont remember the website name at the moment. As soon as i find it again i'll post it here.

Chris
I found the link. But its not Finera in germany - its Easytelecom:

http://www.easytelecom.de/topup.php

You also send a SMS for 4,99 Euro

Here they offer a calltrough service. Inside germany its quite popular to use with the flatrate tariffs and with tariffs which offer cheap landline calls (e.g. eplus Clever One or BASE etc.)

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#10)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-01-2007, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
You can never rely on Finarea not to suddenly change rates in any case. (Though I do not know what you are thinking... but obviously intrigued now)
introductory tariffs slipping away already ...

2p a minute for UK landlines now, but USA, Australia, Spain still zero

Last edited by andy; 23-01-2007 at 14:23..