PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ticex (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 29-01-2006, 07:25

Hi,

I just thought I'd share my new discovery. I bought a cheap Nokia 7600 from a friend, plugged it into my laptop then connected via 3G (UMTS) to the internet. I used X-Lite to login to the SIP (VOIP) phone service I use (www.voipfone.co.uk), changed the only enabled codec to "GSM" and hey presto - I have a working UK geographical landline for receiving calls as if I'm at my desk in the office, calls to anybody within my work for free and calls anywhere in the world for ultra cheap.

I could go further and use one of the several SIP providers who offer free calls but for the moment I'm happy with this as an experiment. The only costs involved are 3G data but using the GSM codec (low bandwidth) means a little data goes a long way. When combined with the Wind "mega no limit" while roaming this could be an especially attractive option and thanks to Andrea I now have exactly this.

I've yet to try it in a moving vehicle but I have my doubts as to whether the 3G coverage is good enough yet. Has anybody else tried this?

Old
  (#2)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 29-01-2006, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticex
The only costs involved are 3G data but using the GSM codec (low bandwidth) means a little data goes a long way. When combined with the Wind "mega no limit" while roaming this could be an especially attractive option and thanks to Andrea I now have exactly this.

I've yet to try it in a moving vehicle but I have my doubts as to whether the 3G coverage is good enough yet. Has anybody else tried this?
I tried it last year... via Skype (not so good) and via SIP. Via SIP was better, but I had the idea that Wind in Italy is closing bandwidth with its 3G.

Also I'm curious, today I'll be for work in a city (Pistoia) 3G covered and I'll try it again

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#3)
0700700 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 29-01-2006, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA
I tried it last year... via Skype (not so good) and via SIP. Via SIP was better, but I had the idea that Wind in Italy is closing bandwidth with its 3G.

Also I'm curious, today I'll be for work in a city (Pistoia) 3G covered and I'll try it again
If Andrea has not tried it , then it doesnt exist... simple as that

you can never catch out the prepaid pioneer

Old
  (#4)
ticex (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 29-01-2006, 20:45

haha...very true! Actually when I tried this the friend who was with me said "I think you are completely insane". Well, now I know I'm not the only person to think of such a system I feel a touch better - especially as I am just a mere "newbie"

I've done a little more experimenting and it seems the signal strength and the specific network is important. I'm in Scotland at the moment and when I roam on orange (terrible indoor 3g coverage here) the signal is too low and the SIP call suffers badly from dropouts. However, when I use T-Mobile (full 3G signal in my house) the call is crystal clear. Also, it may just be my old equipment (PCMCIA BT card from 2001) but when I connect to the Nokia 7600 with bluetooth the port speed is obviously not high enough - I have to connect with the USB data cable.

Now the downside...to make a call I have to carry: Laptop, 3G phone, headset for laptop and chargers for them all. I suspect I might get a few odd looks walking down the street talking on that setup! B)

Old
  (#5)
faquick (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 29-01-2006, 21:34

Well I hope some publisher will create an application that runs on Symbian phones to use VoIP.

The most close thing I found out is this one:

http://www.useful-apps.com/new_page_21.htm

that looks very cool, but it still needs a "server" application running on my home / office PC.

fab---

Name: Fabrizio
Some of my prepaid SIM cards: United Mobile Plus + 3ITA + I WIND + TIM + vodafone IT + 3 UK + O2 UK + Prima
My phones: HTC Desire + BlackBerry 9700

Old
  (#6)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 01-02-2006, 19:29

thanks, i loved " If Andrea has not tried it , then it doesnt exist... simple as that "

Also I tried Skype by GPRS and 3G... not so good in 3G and horrible in GPRS. Sip communication was almost good, but once again I have the sensation that the bandwidth for VOIP is limited by Wind&Co.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#7)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 02-02-2006, 01:24

I believe I've seen VoIP typically uses 50 or 70 MB an hour, so using the Wind Mega no-limit deal roaming like this would be maybe down to 10c per minute - good but not awesome, and when you exceed the 200MB?

Unless what you said in the OP about GSM codec (?) means that lower bandwidth is used .......... ?

And how widespread is 3g coverage overall? At my home Orange is the only one, so my 3 phone uses O2 2g - just unlocked, so about to leap into the unknown

Did you try a usb Bluetooth dongle instead of loads of cable? - the one I just got says 2.1 Mbps, and "Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR offers major improvements for voice and multimedia applications" - not got it going yet though

Or you might manage - PDA and phone in pockets, and Bluetooth headset ......... [and solar charger somewhere?]