PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
gsmith (Offline)

Default Italy -- Buy Handset and Prepaid Plan there? - 11-06-2009, 01:39

I'm heading to Italy next week for a month. I would like to have a mobile phone to call ahead to hotels or book reservations. I do NOT currently have an unlocked phone. I'm hoping I can buy a very inexpensive handset (or maybe get a free handset) with a pre-paid plan when I get there.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the least expensive handset + pre-paid plan would cost?

Do I really need to obtain a "codice fiscale" or can I just show my passport?

I assume an Italian phone will come with menus/prompts in Italian; I do not speak Italian. Will that be a big problem? I would think the only thing I'll need to do is "recharge".

I've been told that TIM is the provider with the best coverage. Do they have many retail locations around Rome?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
FBlack_111 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-06-2009, 03:03

You can get a codice fiscale free on line in about 5 minutes.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italy.html Read the bottom of this link.

Old
  (#3)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-06-2009, 13:16

Why can't you just buy a cheap unlocked quadband on ebay or so. They are very cheap these days. Then you know you have the phone already and all you need is the sim card.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#4)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 11-06-2009, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Why can't you just buy a cheap unlocked quadband on ebay or so. They are very cheap these days. Then you know you have the phone already and all you need is the sim card.
The thing about "next week" may be a problem there. He doesn't have time for the shipping. If it's early next week, he may have no other option. If it's later next week he might be able to go to TigerDirect.com and order a tri-band phone (with 900 & 1800), such as the NEC e132 ($39.99) and request express shipping.

There are TIM, Vodafone and "3" shops in the airport. ("3" requires a WCDMA phone)

You can buy a prepaid with a new phone at the shops in the airport. If you want to find a cheap, used phone, we'll have to wait for the Italians to weigh in.

Old
  (#5)
beppe_bl (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 11-06-2009, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith View Post
I'm heading to Italy next week for a month. I would like to have a mobile phone to call ahead to hotels or book reservations. I do NOT currently have an unlocked phone. I'm hoping I can buy a very inexpensive handset (or maybe get a free handset) with a pre-paid plan when I get there.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the least expensive handset + pre-paid plan would cost?

Do I really need to obtain a "codice fiscale" or can I just show my passport?

I assume an Italian phone will come with menus/prompts in Italian; I do not speak Italian. Will that be a big problem? I would think the only thing I'll need to do is "recharge".

I've been told that TIM is the provider with the best coverage. Do they have many retail locations around Rome?

Thanks
An unlocked basic (call, sms, maybe wap browser) handset usually you could find it for 30 - 40 euro (or less, in case of offer by shop).
In Rome easily you'll have many options about official/unffocial dealers, and, excluding few little town in the province, you should not have coverage problems, then you'll could consider wind or 3 (usually cheaper than tim and vodafone).
Yes, you need a fiscal code, but just see PrePaidGSM: Italy as wrote above by FBlack_111.

ps: i'm sorry for my bad english, i'm a little bit out of training

Last edited by beppe_bl; 11-06-2009 at 16:00..

Old
  (#6)
jd0716 (Offline)

Default 10-07-2009, 15:45

I have no understanding of any of this stuff, so.... does the link to get a "codice fiscale" get you a legal/legitimate "codice fiscale"? Or could you get in trouble for going the "fast" route?

Old
  (#7)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-07-2009, 09:15

It's not a legal "Codice Fiscale" but you wouldn't get in trouble.
Anyway you should live in Italy (and be able to demostrate it) to get a real "Codice Fiscale".

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#8)
italy-bound (Offline)

Default 16-07-2009, 19:11

I'm going to Rome in a week and will be getting a Wind sim card there. I'll try to write a post on how it goes...
PS. This forum has great info!

Veni, vidi, vici... Italy, here I come.

Old
  (#9)
jd0716 (Offline)

Default 18-07-2009, 17:19

I have a cousin who lives in Italy and will meet us at the airport. Can he buy the SIM/TIM card for me?

Old
  (#10)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-07-2009, 21:10

If he has 'Codice Fiscale' sure

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570