PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
earlymorning2

Default 29-05-2006, 18:58

:unsure: Hi,
I don't understand all the technology. I am traveling to Italy next week and want a GSM phone to be available to our babysitter to us, or for us to call her.

I need to purchase an unlocked European GSM 900/1800 phone. I have found some on ebay. And I understand I can buy a prepaid SIM card for use in Italy. But how do I get a phone number for the phone? Do I need to get service with a carrier in addition to the SIM card? Or does the SIM card give me a phone number? I assume if I need a service provider to activate the phone and give me a phone number there will be an activation charge and maybe have to sign some contract??

Can I buy a prepaid vodafone sim card here in the US?

Any advice, instructions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Dawn

Old
  (#2)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-05-2006, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlymorning2
I don't understand all the technology. I am traveling to Italy next week and want a GSM phone to be available to our babysitter to us, or for us to call her.

I need to purchase an unlocked European GSM 900/1800 phone. I have found some on ebay. And I understand I can buy a prepaid SIM card for use in Italy. But how do I get a phone number for the phone? Do I need to get service with a carrier in addition to the SIM card? Or does the SIM card give me a phone number? I assume if I need a service provider to activate the phone and give me a phone number there will be an activation charge and maybe have to sign some contract??

Can I buy a prepaid vodafone sim card here in the US?

Any advice, instructions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Dawn
Hello,
you can buy any unlocked GSM 900/1800 phone for using in europe.
When you arrive in Italy you can buy a prepaid-card (SIM-card) and put it into the phone. The Phone-Number comes together with the SIM-card and a manual.

You can also purchase a italian SIM-card here on the board ahead of your journey if you want the number in advance.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 29-05-2006, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq
You can also purchase a italian SIM-card here on the board ahead of your journey if you want the number in advance.
Exactly, take a look HERE, but we can provide Wind only, no Vodafone and I fear that in less than 1 week it will be a bit hard to deliver it to the US, unless you have an Italian address where we can post it.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
Triband81 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 29-05-2006, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlymorning2

I need to purchase an unlocked European GSM 900/1800 phone. Or does the SIM card give me a phone number?

Thanks,

Dawn
GSM is a very flexible technology. Its main advantage is that all pertinent info such as your phone number and wireless usage authorization is stored on the SIM card. This is the reason why you can easily use another person's phone with your SIM card. Getting the unlocked handset since then you are flexible in being able to use any provider's SIM card.

All else has been said above

Old
  (#5)
wkamm

Default 04-06-2006, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi
Exactly, take a look HERE, but we can provide Wind only, no Vodafone and I fear that in less than 1 week it will be a bit hard to deliver it to the US, unless you have an Italian address where we can post it.
I'm travelling to Italy on June 13, which is 10 days from today. Is it possible to get a SIM card delivered to me here in the USA before I leave? I don't speak Italian and would rather not look for a card when I arrive in Italy. I would like to have the card with me when I leave the USA. Thanks.

Old
  (#6)
HazelGirl (Offline)
Official Member

Default 04-06-2006, 04:26

Yes you can.......I bought mine from here: http://www.valuesphere.com/Merchant2/merch...duct_Code=Italy but you would prolly want to expediate shipping. I leave at the end of the month, so I have time to get it.

in the US: AT&T
in Italy: TIM
in France: Orange

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-06-2006, 14:32

It's not much sense to spend that much for a TIM card you could have at much less... anyway we can provide a Wind card for the "regular price". 9 days should be enough

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim