PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 22-03-2006, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquid
It looks like there's a Связной just the other side of Вернадского пр. from МГИМО on Лобачевского ул, about 1.5km away. Do they sell SIM cards there, or will I need to go to a Мегафон place?
I'm sure they sell SIMs there, so you can buy a SIM from MegaFon, MTS or BeeLine there, you can top up your SIM there and so on. There's no need to go at an operator's office, dealers sell SIMs too. It's possible they won't find a SIM with the Единый tariff, so you will have to make one tariff change yourself a bit later, but I'm sure you'll be able to buy any MegaFon SIM there. Also, there's the data registration problem. Any Russian SIM should be registered, even a prepaid. It doesn't put any responsibility, it's just a rule and I'm sure they won't cancel it (all these antiterrorist stuff etc. keeps it working). So, they will probably refuse your foreign data, thus you'll need some personal data from your Russian friend or from your American friend with a Russian residence permit to register the SIM. It's nothing more than just informing the state, so it's no problem to supply your data to a person whom you trust. It's even possible that the shop sales personnel will provide their own data. I'm not actually sure about all this registration stuff, but I guess I should warn you. And, there's no problem in buying a phone, it's just about SIM.

I guess Motorola V600 is a sort of rare thing here. I hope you'll find a quadband here, but it's more likely that you'll have to get a 900/1800/1900 triband instead.

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#12)
TheSquid (Offline)

Default 22-03-2006, 13:46

Uhh...I don't know anyone in Russia...
I'll be able to give them a Russian address and a US passport with visa; will that help?

Old
  (#13)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 23-03-2006, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquid
Uhh...I don't know anyone in Russia...
I'll be able to give them a Russian address and a US passport with visa; will that help?
I'm afraid it will not but I'm not sure. Anyway, it depends. SIMs are nothing more serious than a calling card here (except of the registration), for example, I mean they give them as presents when you buy a phone or so on, so I guess it will be possible for you to have no problems with getting a SIM. I can directly call the Moscow MegaFon support line in Moscow and ask them if a foreigner can register their SIM for himself this way. Should I? Whatever they say, it could be much more relaxed at a dealer shop, keep this in mind.

MegaFon RU * MTS RU * Tele2 RU * BeeLine UA * TIM IT * Globul BG * Etisalat EG * TravelSIM * T-Mobile MNE * iPlus PL * TIM GR * Telsim TR

Old
  (#14)
TheSquid (Offline)

Default 23-03-2006, 15:29

You don't have to do that because it wouldn't make any difference anyway. Even if I did need a Russian's details, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it until I got there, anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Old
  (#15)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 24-03-2006, 20:16

Yeah, that's right. It's in fact unclear, and the call wouldn't really clear it up. I mean they might say NO and you'll get the SIM using your details in Связной then, or, exactly the opposite. Could you, please, write here the result later? I'm really curious what will happen at the dealer shop in Moscow. Hope everything will be OK and they will sell you both phone and SIM.

Old
  (#16)
TheSquid (Offline)

Default 11-07-2006, 21:59

So, while I'm resurrecting this, I figure giving an update now that I'm back from Russia might help others in the future. I brought an Ericsson T39mc with me.

1) They would not sell me a SIM card to any operator at Domodedovo Airport, International Arrivals Hall.
2) MegaFon in ТК "Тук Тук" on Пр. Вернадского would not sell me a SIM card without a registration stamp on my migration card, despite the fact that I had a document stating that my passport was currently not in my possession so that it could get said stamp.
3) BeeLine in the same place (downstairs) selled me a SIM card the same day. But the tarriff was terrible and I bought a new SIM card at...
4) DIXIS at Охотный Ряд did sell me a MegaFon SIM card (100руб) with no problems once I had the registration stamp on my migration card. The fact that my passport was issued by the New Orleans passport agency made for some interesting conversation. The agent ended up writing that my passport was issued by Полиция Нового Орлеана (the police of New Orleans). The very official-sounding address I gave them ended up on the registration form too.
5) Recharging of a MegaFon-Moscow-based mobile in St. Petersburg (MegaFon-Cevero-Zapad territory) was possible. Someone else with a MegaFon-Moscow card bought a 500руб payment card in SPB and used it with no problems.
6) I could never get my MegaFon voicemail to work, but that was probably my fault of not understanding the Russian instructions telling me how to set it up.

Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer; just let me know.

Old
  (#17)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 12-07-2006, 13:04

Thanks a lot for your info, it's interesting. So, it seems that it's enough to have a registration stamp on your migration card to buy a SIM card, isn't it? It's not that bad, I mean they do not ask for a long term residence permit, at least. What's strange about Полиция Нового Орлеана? Here passports are being issued by милиция (i.e. police), so Russians think it's police who issue passports everywhere. Here it's common to use the passport issuing date and issuer's info to identify a person as well as other personal data.

MegaFon currently sell recharge cards valid for all of their branches, which are called 'Единая карта оплаты' and usually look as a green colored card with big white digits showing the card value in rubles on it's face. I haven't seen regional recharge cards (valid for the only branch) for long enough.

Accordingly to the MegaFon Moscow site their voicemail should be activated by a call to *105*4*3*1# (Лайт tariffs) or *105*3*1*1# (contract tariffs). Had you tried such the combination? Also, it seems you have to set up call redirection (when not reachable or may be when busy etc.) to the voice mail number (+79262000222) yourself. Also, first time you call the voice mail number you have to specify your password and record a voice phrase. There are some other complicated options. Also, their voicemail is not free (monthly fee on some tariffs and 30..70 rubles just for switching it off). So, it's not that easy to get it working for a foreigner.

And, finally, visitors to Russia should keep in mind that CPP (Calling Party Pays) is now working here (since 1st of June). So, any calls to Russian SIMs (including calls from abroad) are free for their owners.

Old
  (#18)
TheSquid (Offline)

Default 16-07-2006, 06:28

Quote:
So, it seems that it's enough to have a registration stamp on your migration card to buy a SIM card, isn't it?
Yes. That's also the story I got from the people at Domodedovo airport. It's also the story that my professor, who is fluent in Russian, got from the people at Megafon. She bought her SIM from a semi-reputable dealer in the US and, when she arrived in Russia, it didn't work. They made it work, but it was an interesting ordeal, because obviously the SIM wasn't registered to her and they wouldn't let her buy a new SIM without a stamp on the migration card. Then, as she was arguing with them in the Megafon store about making it work, after not being able to place a call not five minutes before, it started working. Worked fine after that!

Quote:
What's strange about Полиция Нового Орлеана? Here passports are being issued by милиция (i.e. police), so Russians think it's police who issue passports everywhere.
I know that, but I still think it's funny, because it said "New Orleans Passport Agency" and I'm from North Carolina. That's a quarter of the way across the country. It's also certainly not issued by a police department, a city-funded - not federally-funded or even federally-regulated - agency in the US.

Quote:
MegaFon currently sell recharge cards valid for all of their branches, which are called 'Единая карта оплаты' and usually look as a green colored card with big white digits showing the card value in rubles on it's face.
I was kind of wondering why it was the "one card of payment." That explains that.

Quote:
Had you tried such the combination? Also, it seems you have to set up call redirection (when not reachable or may be when busy etc.) to the voice mail number (+79262000222) yourself.
I'd set it up, but I had (and still have) no idea how to set up call redirection. I haven't had a GSM phone in four years.

Quote:
And, finally, visitors to Russia should keep in mind that CPP (Calling Party Pays) is now working here (since 1st of June). So, any calls to Russian SIMs (including calls from abroad) are free for their owners.
1st of July you mean, right? And only when you're not roaming? I had to pay for incoming calls to my Megafon Moskva number (+7-926...) while in St. Petersburg on the Megafon Severo-Zapad network from July 1 to July 7. I didn't use it much for that reason. And because I didn't think I could recharge it.

Old
  (#19)
Asick (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-07-2006, 10:29

Quote:
Then, as she was arguing with them in the Megafon store about making it work, after not being able to place a call not five minutes before, it started working. Worked fine after that!
Well, I have an idea that the SIM was not registered in the network and in the MegaFon users DB before it got transported in the US. So, it remained inactive for all that time. Russian SIMs are usually inactive since their birth, and in many cases they should be specially activated by sending the personal info from a dealer to the operator support. It usually takes a few hours to go online. So, she had probably gotten an inactivated SIM. They could refuse to activate the SIM, so I'm sure it was them (MegaFon support) who did activate it after they talked and they probably did it on their good will only (since she was not able to prove the SIM was hers).

Quote:
I know that, but I still think it's funny, because it said "New Orleans Passport Agency" and I'm from North Carolina. That's a quarter of the way across the country. It's also certainly not issued by a police department, a city-funded - not federally-funded or even federally-regulated - agency in the US.
For a Russian it seems to be completely strange to have passports issued by non state organizations, since passports are supposed to provide some personal identification, which is completely linked to the rights and responsibilities put and allowed by the state. Anyway, here a passport might be issued in another region than your home one too, because you can move and you do not have to change your passport with every move you make. You just change passports when they expire.

Quote:
I was kind of wondering why it was the "one card of payment." That explains that.
Absolutely. Before, cards were different for every branch, and were carrying the same brands (MegaFon, GSM Lite etc.), so it made some mess for people travelling from one region to another.

Quote:
I'd set it up, but I had (and still have) no idea how to set up call redirection. I haven't had a GSM phone in four years.
You can do it from the phone menu (it should be something like Settings->Call options->Divert calls->Voice calls->Not reachable->Activate on your T39) or using the network control codes. It's quite easy to do.

Quote:
1st of July you mean, right?
Oh, yes. I mistyped. And, yes, CPP works only when you are located in the SIM's home region. Once you leave it, the 'innernetwork' roaming starts, thus incoming calls are no longer free. AFAIR they are 9 rubles/min with MegaFon. A region... do you know what's that? It's область, i.e. there are 4 regions between Moscow and St.Petersburg: Moscow and St.Petersburg with their rural areas themselves, Novgorod region and Tver region. You need to buy separate SIMs for every region you visit to get free incoming calls along the whole route. It's not any convenient. Luckily, you still can recharge in another region, you can use some network specific services etc., it's a sort of strange roaming, half-roaming. :wacko: