PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Mexico Data Info Req - 12-07-2008, 19:16

Im looking for some info on the Mexico data situation with the local prepaid sims. Movistar's site is pretty clear so I dont really have any questions for them but Telcel doesn't really seem to update their website at all. I have heard from multiple sources that they have a per call plan like movistar but its listed nowhere on their website. I would also like to know what blackberry plans they offer, data packages on prepaid would also be good. Anyone have any info since their website doesn't say anything about it.

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 17-07-2008, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by money69 View Post
I have heard from multiple sources that they have a per call plan like movistar but its listed nowhere on their website.
To get the rates, on the Telcel site, go to the 'you choose" page (Amigo de Telcel, select state, then Tú Eliges ) The pay per call plan is listed there (per llamada). 11.50 MXN per 20 mins or part to US, 5.75 MXN per 20 mins for MX calls. Movistar's deal is 30 mins for the same prices (but unless you time your calls very carefully or call for many hours they should average out the same).

I'm not convinced data can be used on prepaid with Telcel. I've tested it in the border area and I thought it was working, but in San Felipe (BC) it doesn't work, so don't assume that any area with Telcel coverage also has Telcel data.

Movistar works for a roaming sim (Virgin Mobile UK) in locations I've tested it, but way too expensive to actually use (US$10/MB). I don't think Movistar offer any data on prepaid (can't find it listed anywhere as available), but I haven't tested that as I only have the Telcel sim.

Last edited by RTuesday; 17-07-2008 at 20:11..

Old
  (#3)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-07-2008, 05:15

Thanks for the "por llamada" info on the Telcel page, I found it. Depending on the region Movistar is sometimes 20min for their "por llamada" plan and not 30mins. For example, Monterrey where I spend my time when I am in Mexico only has 20mins.

As far as data goes, movistar does have data available on prepaid. You can see the plans here:

http://www.movistar.com.mx/servicios/p_serv_cone.html

Basically they have 1day (12pesos)(1mb limit) and 15 days(90 pesos) 10mb limit.

Movistar seems to have EDGE at least in Monterrey but I think Telcel is very competitive on their EDGE coverage, im sure its actually better. Id love to find out if Telcel has data on prepaid. Anyone know for sure? I know they have better blackberry plans than Movistar.

Anyway, if anyone knows of Telcel has data on prepaid Id love to find out what offers they have.

Also, anyone know any promotions they have, i.e. you put 200 pesos and you get 300 pesos or anything like that like Movistar has?

Thanks

Last edited by money69; 20-07-2008 at 05:27..

Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-07-2008, 08:14

Quote:
Basically they have 1day (12pesos)(1mb limit) and 15 days(90 pesos) 10mb limit.
With additional data at 40 pesos per MB, could add up very fast. The "daily" rate is in fact 24 hours use from when you activate it, interesting. 1MB is nothing, still really expensive.

Quote:
Also, anyone know any promotions they have, i.e. you put 200 pesos and you get 300 pesos or anything like that like Movistar has?
Telcel does offer extra airtime for the larger (200 pesos and up) refills. See the "Fichas Amigo" page on their site. Might vary by region but in BC it's 260 pesos airtime for 200 pesos, up to 900 pesos for a 500 peso card, quite a deal if you're a heavy user - each per-20 min call to the US becomes effectively 6.4 pesos (63c).

As I mentioned before, I'm fairly sure I got data to work on prepaid Telcel a while back in the border area, but in the area I need it there is no data service (Telcel phone coverage does NOT equal data coverage). I don't currently have the phone settings I used then.

So I had a little look round and found this (in Spanish):

http://www.con-cafe.com/index.php/20...repago-mexico/

It's all about the improved roaming in the US, but does include details of how to get the data settings. And I've just tried it, while roaming in US on AT&T - sent "todas" to 500, setting arrived, and it connects, with Edge. Should also work in some (not all!) Telcel areas then - rates are shown on the website under Telcel Amigo/ Servicios de Datos - 40 pesos/MB.

I'd love to have GPRS coverage in Mexico, but for me these prices make it unusable - even if it was usable.

Old
  (#5)
money69 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 20-07-2008, 18:26

Ok, looking at the Telcel data rates it looks as if Telcel is roughly ~$4mb USD without any packages available on prepaid and movistar has packages availble which basically make it ~$1MB USD until you use all the data and for the rest of the time period you are at ~$4 like Telcel's base rate.

Movistar has the following specials:

200=300
300=500
500=1000

Note that to get these you have to recharge the exact amount. I.e. recharging 200+300 for 500 total will not give you the 1000 total. You have to do a single charge of $500 to get the $1000 pesos total.

Which is slightly better than Telcel but I honestly think Telcel has more coverage than movistar. I drove from Monterrey to Puerto Vallarta and there were multiple locations where I had Tecel coverage and did not have Movistar coverage. If you are usually there for a weekend for example and can buy 10mb for ~$10USD its a good deal.

All in all very good information.

Old
  (#6)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 31-07-2008, 04:17

Just to update this a little, I was back in Mexico recently and Telcel GPRS data is now working in the area I go to, with Amigo (an change since I last tried in March/April).

It works fine (with Edge) 80% of the time, but every now and then it gives a "403 forbidden" on any web page, followed by a Telcel message saying that I need a minimum 20 pesos balance to use data (I have more). Disconnecting and reconnecting GPRS solves that, but it would be a problem for anything where you poll at intervals for data, since it'll randomly break until you reconnect.

"Randomly breaking" pretty much sums up Telcel (over the space of a week or so, the local towers were down for hours one day and the balance enquiry wasn't always working). I doubt Movistar is better.