PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#51)
schuster (Offline)
Official Member

Default 11-08-2008, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
I still think the battery life is not too bad. Considering that it's doing double duty while in standby. Of course, I am assuming you have 2 sim cards in it and both sim cards are active.

I wonder what happens if one is talking on one sim, and another call comes in on the other sim. Probably just have to click on the other answer button, and that will probably hang up the other active call.
If you're not using Bluetooth, turn it off.

Old
  (#52)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-08-2008, 07:33

I will have to check what happens when a call comes in while talking on the other line.

As for battery life, for now it really sucks. Yesterday evening, which was around 40 hours after a full load the battery only showed 1 bar.

The battery said 4300 mAh which is a lot more than in a normal phone. Standby time of a normal phone without to much talking is around 6-8 days or more on some models.
So 3-4 days should be normal even on this phone.
I just put in the other battery so I will see what happens next.

Old
  (#53)
VladS (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 11-08-2008, 12:24

Can you set the network search speed? On most Motorola phones setting it to anything higher than SLOW drains the battery within 24 hours.

VladS
Mobile phones: iPhone 5, Blackberry 9900, Nexus S, Samsung S3322 duos
Mobile data cards: Huawei E587u-5, Huawei E583c, Huawei E160
Postpaid SIMs: CA: Fido, Wind; INTL: Telna
Prepaid SIMs: DE: Fonic, Lidl; AT: yesss!, bob; UK: O2; US: AT&T; RO: Orange, Vodafone; FR: b&you, Lycamobile; NL: Lycamobile; BE: Lycamobile, Jim Mobile; CL: Entel; MX: Telcel; INTL: eKit Blue, eKit Yellow
Dead SIMs: too many to list

Old
  (#54)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-08-2008, 19:16

no there is no such thing as network search speed. (in this phone)

Selection mode can be set manual / automatic.

The last days I was at home and both networks gave full signal, which means less battery consumption. So this should not be the problem. Bluetooth was turned off days ago.

i will check the next days, weeks as I will also be traveling the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by bbob; 11-08-2008 at 21:43..

Old
  (#55)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-08-2008, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladS View Post
Can you set the network search speed? On most Motorola phones setting it to anything higher than SLOW drains the battery within 24 hours.
That should only matter if you're in really borderline coverage. My RAZR battery life is really good normally, despite being on "continuous" network search speed, but if I'm out of coverage, it will drain in only a few hours. It's great when you're only briefly out of coverage, though, because it reacquires the network very fast.

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#56)
schuster (Offline)
Official Member

Default 13-08-2008, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
no there is no such thing as network search speed. (in this phone)

Selection mode can be set manual / automatic.

The last days I was at home and both networks gave full signal, which means less battery consumption. So this should not be the problem. Bluetooth was turned off days ago.

i will check the next days, weeks as I will also be traveling the next 2 weeks.
A strategy I use when travelling is to carry a fully charged extra battery as insurance when I will be away from power sources. Since the V90+ comes with two batteries, it's a natural move.

Since getting into more esoteric phones for which nobody has made a standalone battery-only charger, I've used those little universal wall chargers with spring-loaded adjustable contacts that can adapt to almost any phone or PDA battery. There are lots of them on eBay for about 5 USD.

Old
  (#57)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-08-2008, 08:04

I think that's how they calculate the time, using 2 extra batteries will give you 4-5 days of standby time and using only 1 sim this will probably double so that's how they explain 8-10 days standy time.

I will be away the next 2 weeks so I will take the second battery and see how thing go.

I did notice now when chaning batteries that the call log, received, missed and so on was deleted when the battery was changed.

Old
  (#58)
schuster (Offline)
Official Member

Default 13-08-2008, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
I think that's how they calculate the time, using 2 extra batteries will give you 4-5 days of standby time and using only 1 sim this will probably double so that's how they explain 8-10 days standy time.

I will be away the next 2 weeks so I will take the second battery and see how thing go.

I did notice now when chaning batteries that the call log, received, missed and so on was deleted when the battery was changed.
Many of the specs for these phones are wildly inflated. This is not limited to Chinese phones.
My Nokia E50 could only achieve the rated standby time when running in airplane mode

Old
  (#59)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-08-2008, 22:54

Bought one of these (the SOHO V90+ on dealextreme) for my dad. He is always carrying 2 -3 phones, so thought this will come in handy. I will be taking it to him next month when I travel. In the mean time I am testing it out. Not a bad phone at all. It actually does have lots of features for it's price. Callback works well with yackie, UM+, and maxroam. No problems whatsoever.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#60)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-08-2008, 08:37

Just came back from a 2 week trip from greece using this phone.

On the island signal was not always strong and battery life was limited to less than 2 days. When making calls 45 minutes, batterylife was down to 1 day.
Yes you have an extra battery you can use but all call logs are erased as soon as the battery is replaced/taken out.
The second problem was that on sim a I can select the network manually but on sim b this is not possible. In this cae I did want to change the network as signal was to bad for the automatically selected network.

The other problem was that I can sellect silent mode and go back to normal mode. It looked like when doing this on sim B silent mode still seemed to be active as the phone would not ring when a call came in.

After having used it now my conclusion it that for the price it offer some nice features but it does have some bigger problems and one can see that the software has not truely been developed and tested.

The most negative point although is battery life. This is just very poor. And when making calls for 1 or 2 hours the phone needs to be recharged every day. This makes me think about 10 years ago when stanbytime was 24 hours and calltime 1-2 hours.

Having 1 phone with 2 sims is very nice and handy but I am considering chaning back to carrying 2 phones and standby time is a lot longer.